Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P20K - P10K Reports?  (Read 1726 times)

deanwork

Epson P20K - P10K Reports?
« on: February 21, 2017, 02:48:57 pm »

This is probably the wrong forum to ask this, but has anyone been using the new Epson 20K and 10K printers for any period of months? Salesmen please don't bother to answer this. I'm only interested in the opinions of people who DO NOT sell printers commercially.

I was considering the 20K until I heard from new reports of already excessive clogging and quality control issues.

I'll have to give it 6 months before I would even consider it now. This is from a person who uses the printers everyday in a production environment.

john

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Epson P20K - P10K Reports?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 03:32:30 pm »

This is probably the wrong forum to ask this, but has anyone been using the new Epson 20K and 10K printers for any period of months? Salesmen please don't bother to answer this. I'm only interested in the opinions of people who DO NOT sell printers commercially.

I was considering the 20K until I heard from new reports of already excessive clogging and quality control issues.

I'll have to give it 6 months before I would even consider it now. This is from a person who uses the printers everyday in a production environment.

john
Not sure why you wouldn’t want salesmen to respond, not trying to sell one to you.   Bottom line, not many frequenting this type of website are dropping this kind of money on this type of printer, but some one like me is aware of multiple installations and experiences.

We have sold and installed two p20000 so far, both clients are very pleased with output and other issues. Neither have reported clogging issues to us (we visit them once a month).  One has been installed about 4 months, the other about 2 months.  One of them is currently planning on installing a second one.  I printed a few things out on one during an install, felt quality was great, but didn’t really analyze if the 4th black had any impact on quality (good or bad).  This printer is really designed for a production house, and designed to produce large volumes.  There aren’t many photographers who need wider than 44” prints on a frequent basis, so not sure LuLa subscribers are the target market.  We will install one ourselves when our 11880 bites the dust.

As far as clogging, both customers run substantial volume, but it is too soon to say whether or not there are issues with it. So far so good.I haven’t seen any reports of clogging anywhere, not sure where you ran across this. Waiting may be good, but it may be difficult  to get good information since most who install these printers just put them to work and don’t hang out in forums and talk about them.

datro

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 05:19:25 pm »

I suspect John is referring to this thread over on the EpsonWideFormat forum now hosted on groups.io.  In that thread, Royce Howland comments on his P10000 and P20000 printers.  Interesting reading...

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 07:44:01 pm »

interesting.  One user with clogging issues, the other seems pretty happy regarding clogging (similar to my two users). Certainly Royce is an opinion worth listening to. encouraging to see his opinion on the new inkset.

One of the challenges is which will be more "typical".  Considering this is a first generation machine, waiting to see seems like a logical approach, as usually firmware upgrades may help get rid of some of the quirks.

So maybe waiting a few months would make sense John.

Royce Howland

• Vivid Aspect Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 11:24:24 am »

John & I have been corresponding privately on our experiences & opinions re: the P10K & P20K at Resolve. I haven't commented further in the forums here because we still have an issue on the P20K and I'm hoping to resolve it positively before writing up something describing the overall experience. I will say in brief that when they work (which for the P10K is now almost all the time), they are awesome, and certainly I feel the new inkset is a legitimate win as well. But they have been high maintenance so far with a number of unusual problems and, in our experience, all the usual clogging BS that we've come to expect.

Of course as we know with Epson & clogging, some people get it bad, some never really get it. So our data point is only that -- a single data point. We are heavy users, however, targeting the highest quality we can while increasing our print volume in recent years. So our clogging issues aren't down to sporadic use of the printers, or not knowing the tricks of the trade around dust, humidity and so on.

We don't necessarily regret getting these machines. But having said that, we do plan to seriously evaluate the big Canons this year, as well... just waiting for the 64" model to hit the market before we invest the time & man-power into the eval.

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 06:26:10 pm »

Thank you Royce,

Yea I wouldn't buy into a system like that, given the last series, unless I hear a lot of favorable reports over a period of a year. I'm waiting to see the new Canon big one as well. My Canon 44 has been such a dream machine for so many years, and wastes so little ink, and has never missed a nozzle when the heads are in warranty, that I just couldn't go back to watching ink go down the drain in gallons like that anymore. There may be a reason they put those big carts in there and lowered the cost of the ink, cause most likely you are going to be using a lot of it. I do some production work but the speed I have on my Canon at bi-directional is fast and the output sharp as hell so I can't say speed would ever be a factor anymore for me.  I would just like to be able to do some very wide work in black and white and also on silk and I thought the P20K would be ideal for that, and the permanence is fantastic, but that report scares the hell out of me to be blunt about it.

john

John & I have been corresponding privately on our experiences & opinions re: the P10K & P20K at Resolve. I haven't commented further in the forums here because we still have an issue on the P20K and I'm hoping to resolve it positively before writing up something describing the overall experience. I will say in brief that when they work (which for the P10K is now almost all the time), they are awesome, and certainly I feel the new inkset is a legitimate win as well. But they have been high maintenance so far with a number of unusual problems and, in our experience, all the usual clogging BS that we've come to expect.

Of course as we know with Epson & clogging, some people get it bad, some never really get it. So our data point is only that -- a single data point. We are heavy users, however, targeting the highest quality we can while increasing our print volume in recent years. So our clogging issues aren't down to sporadic use of the printers, or not knowing the tricks of the trade around dust, humidity and so on.

We don't necessarily regret getting these machines. But having said that, we do plan to seriously evaluate the big Canons this year, as well... just waiting for the 64" model to hit the market before we invest the time & man-power into the eval.

iCanvas

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 10:52:38 am »

I have had my P10000 for six months and am very pleased with it. I don't run a production house, but chose it over the P9000. Happy to pay the extra over the P9000. I print on canvas and don't need the green and orange channels. The speed is important for me and the quality is as good as my previous 9900 printer. I have had no problems except that the printer wants to do a cleaning after several jobs if you leave it idle for a few minutes. Why? I don't know. I have turned off on the printer everything dealing with cleaning timings. So, what I do is turn off the printer after the several jobs and then turn it back on. I do a printless nozzle check and there are no clogs. A small thing to save ink. I bought the P10K from Tastar Data in Pittsburgh. They installed it and the transition from the 9900 was very smooth.

Gar
Pages: [1]   Go Up