Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beach pub  (Read 804 times)

kislotniq

Beach pub
« on: February 20, 2017, 05:11:37 pm »

Hey guys!
I'm looking for a place on the web to receive some critique regarding stuff that I make.
Usually when I post something all I get is a few 'likes' and a couple of positive comments, but it's never critical, like "improve contrast there or composition is weak or colors are crap".
Is this the right place to ask for this?

attached image: containers that soon will be transformed into a beach pub

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Beach pub
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 05:58:51 pm »

Sorry, you have to try harder. This one is not good enough - if your goal is to receive criticism. Not much to criticise with this one :)

I love the sense of desolation, enhanced by the washed out colors. If I'd want to nitpick, I'd suggest to clone out that trail in the upper right corner. Or perhaps, if you could have a higher vantage point, in order to avoid the blades of grass in the foreground. Otherwise, nice attempt.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 07:51:01 pm »

Hi and welcome aboard  :)

I hope you don't mind me applying a crop to your image for example purposes, but I would have tried shooting this scene as a square or even as a vertical, to really focus the viewers attention on the subject.

But hey that's just me  ;)

Dave

kislotniq

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 08:47:06 am »

Sorry, you have to try harder. This one is not good enough - if your goal is to receive criticism. Not much to criticise with this one :)

I love the sense of desolation, enhanced by the washed out colors. If I'd want to nitpick, I'd suggest to clone out that trail in the upper right corner. Or perhaps, if you could have a higher vantage point, in order to avoid the blades of grass in the foreground. Otherwise, nice attempt.

Hi Slobodan! Thanks a lot for a feedback, I just can't see my mistakes and that's what I'm asking for =)
I might have a different variation of this shot without grass, If there is one - I'll post it to this thread too.

I hope you don't mind me applying a crop to your image for example purposes, but I would have tried shooting this scene as a square or even as a vertical, to really focus the viewers attention on the subject.

Hi Dave!
I don't treat my images as anything of value, so you can apply any crop you want =)
Thanks for the advice, will try to play around with vertical/square crop

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 09:11:09 am »

It depends :)

I like the composition a lot, but my immediate reaction is "wow, used lots of vibrance, the ridges on top of the containers look solarised... and the edges are so sharp that they could almost have been dropped in by PS."

So as a naturalistic shot, it doesn't work for me. However if you're trying for that hyper-real zing, it works. So it depends on your audience, what you want to achieve, what context will it be seen in... ?

BobDavid

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 10:56:22 am »

Great shot. I  like the wider aspect ratio more than the square.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 02:38:35 pm »

"wow, used lots of vibrance, the ridges on top of the containers look solarised... and the edges are so sharp that they could almost have been dropped in by PS." +1 ..."looks like" an unsuccessful  composite
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

John R

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 03:11:20 pm »

I have to agree with Slobodan, it has certain feel the way it is. The grass does somewhat distract, but not enough to distract in big way.

JR

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 03:27:02 pm »

Hey guys!
I'm looking for a place on the web to receive some critique regarding stuff that I make.
Usually when I post something all I get is a few 'likes' and a couple of positive comments, but it's never critical, like "improve contrast there or composition is weak or colors are crap".
Is this the right place to ask for this?

attached image: containers that soon will be transformed into a beach pub

Welcome to the zoo!

The picture. You could do a lot with it, but don't crop anything out: the grass adds an important sense of depth, which it surprises me that some dislike. But hey, as I say, a zoo!

For me, it's all too bright, too metallic. I think you have an interesting shot living there, but it needs a lot of different post to make it come out as I think it probably could. Tone it down and, if it's there, find some detail in the roof area. Give it a whirl in black and white; the latter will permit a more dramatic treatment than does colour, which only manages, mostly, to look right or wrong.

For certain, I think black/white is generally a far more interesting medium from a photo perspective, but colour allows the geeks a much wider intellectual playground...

;-)

Rob

kislotniq

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 10:26:40 am »

Oh wow, that's a ton of feedback, thanks a lot, guys!
Unfortunately, I can't get any detail from the roof, because it is covered with snow, just like the beach itself.
I've also tried some vertical/square crops, but they don't feel right at all.

Give it a whirl in black and white
Thanks for the advice, Rob! Will try that
Pages: [1]   Go Up