Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photography Tomorrow  (Read 8989 times)

Rob C

Re: Photography Tomorrow
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 04:34:25 am »

I'm just an amateur with a serious GAS thing going (a lot of packages from Japan have been coming my way in recent years).  And I'll never totally give up digital (sorry, I did last year, but it was just a phase). But there's just something magic about a great 6x6 chrome in a Gepe holder.  And there's also something magic about the mere knowledge that there's this analog..."stuff" with sprocket holes in it going through my Konica RF/F3/Genba Kantoku/etc that will have a chance of immortality that all of my one's and zero's won't have. Maybe when I'm close to dust, that "stuff" will have a similar importance in my life to those crappy old slides that my father shot in the 1960's of us kids being kids (and which still occasionally slide across my computer screen courtesy of a cheap Epson scanner).

Hopefully, I'm not alone.

Sorry, I just scanned the article.  I'll fully digest it tomorrow...unless some distraction slays me.

Not at all alone; I feel exactly the same about the external HDs that I now have - will they be worth squat if when formats change, will I be supposed to buy more new shit just to be able to claim back my own pictures? Why will I have to pay more for what's already mine? And one thought the Inland Revenue was greedy?

A decent filing system and a big light box are wonderfully accessible modern techniques!

And something else: no pun intended, but the inner glow you get when you scan your eye over a light table covered with your work is just something no monitor will ever give you. My God it makes you feel good - and fulfilled!

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:38:15 am by Rob C »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 04:58:35 am »

Maybe, until the market rejects it. Le Monde often does little videos on an issue where rather than writing a page of clear text, the journalist is interviewed by a colleague. It strikes me as lazy journalism: it takes me longer to get less info which is less carefully structured. I hate it, and no longer watch them.

The same struck me long ago with reguard to tourist videos: if someone shows me a stack of photos from their trip, I can leaf through and dwell on the interesting ones. With video, I have to go through in real time. It's rare that an amateur video-maker has Coen brothers level editing skills to pace the narrative, and in any case, I may not have 30 mins to dedicate to watching someone's trip to London. Or their wedding, in fact  ;D

Graham, I'm reassured to discover that I'm not alone. I thought only I vastly preferred still images to video and regarded newspapers' shorts as a waste of time.

Jeremy

AnthonyM

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 11:50:10 am »

You are not alone.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up