Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fujifilm X-T1 and X100T: EVF briefly over-exposed  (Read 2945 times)

mbaginy

Fujifilm X-T1 and X100T: EVF briefly over-exposed
« on: February 20, 2017, 06:11:53 am »

I noticed a phenomenon on both my Fujifilm XT-1 and X100T.  Upon switching the camera on, the EVF turns completely white, as if greatly over-exposed.  After some three seconds, the proper image is displayed and I can photograph as expected.

This doesn’t happen all the time I switch the camera on but often enough to be aggravating.  It keeps me from reacting quickly to interesting photographic situations.  As a habit, I usually switch the camera off following a shot (unless I’m sure of taking another shot immediately following the previous).

I haven’t tried exposing when the image is white, so I haven’t a clue if the sensor would capture a shot properly and it’s the EVF acting up.

Have any Fujifilm photographers noticed this behavior too?  Do you have any explanation and remedy?  By the way, I have the latest firmware installed.

rdonson

Re: Fujifilm X-T1 and X100T: EVF briefly over-exposed
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 10:34:39 am »

Hi Mike!

I've witnessed this on my X-T2 as well although it clears very quickly (much less than 1 second).  How do you have the metering setup?  Perhaps its metering related.  That's what I've seen on the X-T2 and it's highly dependent on the scene. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:22:05 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

mbaginy

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 12:21:15 pm »

Ron, for 99.9% of my images I shoot using multi zone (matrix?) metering.  Once in a blue moon spot metering.  The behaviour I described occurs using multi zone metering.

I though that possibly the camera was being held towards the sky or some bright lights when I turned it on and observed the bright EVF, but that doesn't seem the case.  It also happens when the lens is held downwards.

Okay, maybe the three seconds until the EVF shows proper exposure are exaggerated - it may just seem that long when I'm waiting.  It's not a bug that would make me return to Canon or think of Olympus, but still odd.  I would write to Fujifilm here in Germany to inquire but lately they're not so helpful.  I asked them about the moustache distortion of the X100T lens but never received a reply.  Maybe they're unhappy with me since I've had to exchange my X100T battery charger four or five times already!  The last one. I'll keep unused and charge only via USB.

Interesting to know, that you've observed similar performance.

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 05:29:40 pm »

Mike, I was using Matrix metering as well and I had the camera pointed so that a lot of the frame covered a very bright, clear sky.  I only saw this behavior with the X-T2 yesterday and if memory serves me it was just after turning the camera on.  It is not typical for me. 

With regards to battery chargers I bought a Watson dual battery charger and I've been delighted with it.
Regards,
Ron

mbaginy

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 12:03:45 am »

I'll try to keep a closer look on where the camera was pointed during my next photo outings.

You mentioned that Watson charger a while back and I did investigate their site.  I've since (finally!) begun selling my Panasonic and Canon gear, making the switch to Fujifilm a fact.  So I won't have the need for those countless chargers and cables.  But I'll keep Watson in mind for possible future reference.  Thanks.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 02:38:04 am »

Could it be related to the setting that adjusts the rear screen brightness to be constant or something? I have seen this happen briefly as I switch on.

mbaginy

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 02:51:43 am »

I’ll give that a closer look, Mike.  Quite sure that I haven’t altered such settings and they’re at their default, but I will check.

I also haven’t noticed, if this brightness is displayed on the rear monitor or only in the EVF; I almost always use a half case which covers the monitor.  The monitor should display the same as the EVF though.  That’s another item I’ll need to check.

My usual setting is to have the rear display activated with a switch to the EVF when the camera is held to my (left) eye.  I’ll try changing that to EVF only though since the sensor doesn’t always register quickly enough.  It seems, I tend to position the camera too far outwards from my face and I need to move it further towards my nose or press the camera firmly against my glasses (before the switch to EVF takes place).

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 02:53:47 am »

For clarity I see that effect on rear screen. Of late my settings have been eye detect whereas previously it was VF only.

mbaginy

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 02:56:52 am »

Yeah, Mike, that makes sense.  No doubt I'll find the same when I try that.

mbaginy

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 11:47:03 am »

It seems that, when switching the camera on (or already having it turned on), I've actually been tilting the camera upwards, including the bright sky at times and that causes this bright EVF.  I'll need to keep the camera faced downwards in order to quickly aim and shoot photos.  No major problem, but good to know.

rdonson

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 09:31:21 pm »

So glad to hear you figured it out, Mike.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up