Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad X1D vs Fujifilm GFX 50S  (Read 45543 times)

stonebird

• Travel and Wild Photographer
Re: Hasselblad X1D vs Fujifilm GFX 50S
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 03:56:59 pm »

"The two cameras are very different, they just happen to be both mirrorless with the same sensor." :)
Alpa MAX • WA • STC • TC | Arca RM3DI | HR23 HR32 HR50 | SK120AA SK210 | IQ250 • P45+ | Travel and Wild Photographer

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2017, 04:44:32 pm »

You haven't said what you will use either camera for.  Personally I wouldn't buy either one as they don't fit my needs.  I use an H series for work where portability is not an issue and for any work using flash.  I use a Nikon D810 for travel and more informal stuff.  If you want the look that MF offers then a used H series is great value, if you want portability and solid images the Nikon takes some beating. I don't like the Sony A7R2 simply because I find the small size is an issue for me but otherwise it is a great camera.

Having said all of that Lloyd Chambers, who has not been a Hasselblad fan in the past, is writing some very complimentary stuff about the X1D.  He is just about to test the Fuji.  In your shoes I would spend a few bucks, subscribe to his site and hold fire until he finishes his evaluation.
David Watson ARPS

andreart

• Photographer Andrejs Zavadskis
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 08:14:22 am »

one more thing. In 1 year there will be Nikon D850 (~50 megapiksels), and with 105mm 1.4 you can get this middle format look like

right now I am waiting more review, waiting for more firmware versions that both companies finish their products.
waiting for 1:1 review and field tests.
waiting for software (adobe, lightroom) raw support

still cant understand witch is more for me.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 03:55:58 pm »

Hi,

AT this stage, it seems to me that the GFX is the more flexible system.

On the other hand, I don't feel that a 50MP 44x33 mm sensor is that a big improvement from the 42 MP 24x36 kit I already have. So neither the X1D nor the GFX have a great attraction for me. That said, it is nice to see some action 44x33 mm MFD.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

hogloff

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 08:08:24 pm »

Hi,

AT this stage, it seems to me that the GFX is the more flexible system.

On the other hand, I don't feel that a 50MP 44x33 mm sensor is that a big improvement from the 42 MP 24x36 kit I already have. So neither the X1D nor the GFX have a great attraction for me. That said, it is nice to see some action 44x33 mm MFD.

Best regards
Erik

Especially not at the cost of entry for the minor improvement.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 12:26:32 am »

Hi,

When I switched from Sony A-mount to Sony-FE mount I spent something like 10000$US plus on camera + adapters + lenses and I perhaps spent another 5000 on more gear. That kind of money would me a small but decent gear with the GFX.

Would the GFX arrived two years ago, I would give it very strong consideration. But, now it is here and now…

Best regards
Erik

Especially not at the cost of entry for the minor improvement.
Erik Kaffehr

BAB

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 10:32:11 am »

Hey Eric ,
Like your thoughts by next January we should be able to buy a full kit w/ 6 lenses and the X1D body for under 10k then what's the decision?
B
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 03:16:42 pm »

Hi 'B',

I don't think I would buy the GFX today. Why?

It is about my needs, really
Sony A7rIIFuji GFX
Image quality+++++ (I guess)
Lens selection+++
Tilt and shift options+++?
Telephoto options+++?
Ultra wide options+++?

Fact is that the A7rII is a good match for my needs. The way it works, I mostly use it with Canon and Zeiss (C/Y-mount) lenses. In the long telephoto range I use a 70-400/4-5.6 G APO although I consider getting the Canon 100-400/4.5-5.6 LII instead. In that case I would consider adding a Canon 7DII for shooting birds and wildlife, or I would consider a Sigma 500/4 DG OS HSM Sport. (*)

Two years ago, it may have been different. But now the GFX is to little, to late.

Best regards
Erik

(*) I am going to Iceland this summer, and I do pay some concern to my telephoto options. When shooting birds there is nothing like a telephoto lens that is too long. The Canon 7DII has an excellent AF. A cheaper option is to keep the Sony A77 and use it with the Sony 400/4.5 APO I already have. Need to do some testing.

Hey Eric ,
Like your thoughts by next January we should be able to buy a full kit w/ 6 lenses and the X1D body for under 10k then what's the decision?
B
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:22:01 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

BAB

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 09:29:18 pm »

I'm thinking Iceland myself end of summer early sept, I've seen lots of quality images from there and lots of junk. I would also think some Heli photography in Iceland should be on the menu The higher the better!
Fact is when your camera is on three legs weight vs ease of use and quality is all that matters if you can squeeze it out of a whatever in the final print and face mount an unreal image that's the goal, everything else is moot.
I just finished a few B&W zen images printed on Epson metallic and face mounted on plexiglass they are killer, but the camera wouldn't have mattered much the PP was the real challenge any of today's modern digital recorders would have delivered a malleable file to print.

What I do see though as a huge advantage is the highlight roll off and as a huge disadvantage is the blocking in the shadows let alone the noise. Every layer if not done correctly just adds what I call a funny haze to certain areas. It takes some getting used to the monitor image, the print proof and then believing when printed, mounted and hung on the wall it will look just as good as it did the monitor. That's why I love the metallic paper face mounted and canvas print in a stretched frame. Anyway that's off topic but when I see the images that strike me the most they all seem to be the ones that you can just barely start to imagine how the photographer got to the result....today's photography ART is very far from the days of vibrant postcards, at least for my tastes.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

andreart

• Photographer Andrejs Zavadskis
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2017, 05:26:43 am »

one of the first Hasselblad X1D vs. Fuji GFX

http://akimagery.com/hasselblad-x1d-vs--fuji-gfx

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2017, 04:54:09 pm »

A few thoughts:

If you need flash synchro, past 1/125, the X1D would be a pick for sure due to the leaf shutter.  However the Fuji GFX and EX-500 flash should allow flash work beyond 1/125, just as the EX-500 allows this on the X-T2.  I have used it up to 1/1000.  I realize this is a pulsing type of flash, but for my work it works fine.  I am not a studio shooter.

But to overpower the sun with the Fuji TTL will need lots of EX-500 or a big monobloc flash...

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2017, 06:13:36 pm »

1. one more thing. In 1 year there will be Nikon D850 (~50 megapiksels), and with 105mm 1.4 you can get this middle format look like
2. right now I am waiting more review, waiting for more firmware versions that both companies finish their products.
waiting for 1:1 review and field tests.
waiting for software (adobe, lightroom) raw support
3. still cant understand witch is more for me.
1. A 50MP 35mm camera with 100mm lens does not give a medium format look. I have both. For anything other than head and shoulders you will be in the next room to the model for a start. That is just one thing but there is a lot in the medium format "look".
2. If I waited for the perfect digital camera then I would still be shooting film (and I do occasionally).
3. Neither. If you want to dabble in medium format then there are great buys in older MF cameras that are still better than most (if not all) 35mm.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

PrintPd

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2017, 11:27:43 am »

Yesterday I got my first hands on impression of the X1D. Have not seen the GFX yet but I really like the size, design and handling of the X1D a lot. I would be interested in a camera with 2 lenses: 35mm and 100mm Macro 35mm equivalent.
Hasselblad has the 45mm and announced a 120mm Macro.
Fuji has the 120mm Macro and announced the 45mm.
On thing I noticed with the X1D that after pressing the shutter there is little lag for the exposure but it takes quite a long time for the EVF is back again.
I wonder how the speed of the GFX compares?

hcubell

• http://www.howardcubell.com
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2017, 11:44:29 am »

Yesterday I got my first hands on impression of the X1D. Have not seen the GFX yet but I really like the size, design and handling of the X1D a lot. I would be interested in a camera with 2 lenses: 35mm and 100mm Macro 35mm equivalent.
Hasselblad has the 45mm and announced a 120mm Macro.
Fuji has the 120mm Macro and announced the 45mm.
On thing I noticed with the X1D that after pressing the shutter there is little lag for the exposure but it takes quite a long time for the EVF is back again.
I wonder how the speed of the GFX compares?
[/quotae]

What you experienced is not actually shutter lag. It is the blackout of the EVF for around a second after the shutter is depressed. The blackout with the GFX is about .6 seconds. There is very little delay between the shutter being depressed and the exposure...around 1/10th of a second.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2017, 11:46:23 am »

Lag on the GFX with a fast card is very short.  I don't notice any shutter lag, some say there is some.  EVF refreshes very fast 1/2 sec with the 32-64 and about 1 second with the 120mm.  I have noticed some varied write times on the card for some reason.  Sometime, the images seem to write in about 2 seconds, other times it can take as long as 4 to 5 seconds before the write light is done.  However this has yet to impact my shooting. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alabsiz

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2017, 01:54:43 am »

The only discerning difference you need to know is that:
X1D is 16bit  while the GFX is 14bit a difference of well.. [281-trillion] no.. not a typo.  Its what you pay premium dollars for.  that added cost and performance comes from the Graphic Engine and has nothing to do with the sensor per se.  Imagine if you will a PC's Graphic Card, the higher the performance the more costly it is.

That said, I believe that the GFX will be the system to beat for at least the next 3 yrs, before Fuji drops the GFX100s if not sooner.

BTW no one in their right mind here should be mocking Fujifilm in the least bit, or belittling what this Mega, Giant, behemoth, Corporation, that won't be in the least bit affected by the sale results or failure of the GFX system.  I mean do I really need to remind anyone of how important they are to the photographic industry and their contribution: Broadcast - Cinema - Film [yes 135's and instant film till today] - Digital - Fabrication Facilities - Largest Lens manufacturer in the world period for every conceivable industry.

In reality and the real benchmark when it comes to GFX particular Sensor size and performance level would be the Pentax 645z (mirrorless aside).  A true trailblazer that deserves more respect than its been given.

vjbelle

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2017, 02:19:35 am »

What you say is very true.  Fuji is a monster and I hope they succeed in this venture.  Their size could be a deficit with regards to reaction time to what the buying public wants.  I hope not.... The X1D has a lot of sex appeal and its industrial design has given them a slight advantage but I also think the the GFX will be the camera to beat.  I have no skin in the game so far but my money would probably land in the Fuji camp.

Victor

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2017, 02:58:03 am »

Hi,

The X1D is a 14 bit device. Hasselblad and Phase One has been talking about 16 bits for a long time, but it has always been an alternate fact.

The only device that is actually 16 bit is the 100 MP Fuji 100 MP sensor, it delivers 15 bits worth of data.

Check this thread: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/61134-lightroom-acr-now-supports-iq3100.html

Best regards
Erik

X1D is 16bit  while the GFX is 14bit a difference of well.. [281-trillion] no.. not a typo.  Its what you pay premium dollars for.  that added cost and performance comes from the Graphic Engine and has nothing to do with the sensor per se.  Imagine if you will a PC's Graphic Card, the higher the performance the more costly it is.

That said, I believe that the GFX will be the system to beat for at least the next 3 yrs, before Fuji drops the GFX100s if not sooner.

BTW no one in their right mind here should be mocking Fujifilm in the least bit, or belittling what this Mega, Giant, behemoth, Corporation, that won't be in the least bit affected by the sale results or failure of the GFX system.  I mean do I really need to remind anyone of how important they are to the photographic industry and their contribution: Broadcast - Cinema - Film [yes 135's and instant film till today] - Digital - Fabrication Facilities - Largest Lens manufacturer in the world period for every conceivable industry.

In reality and the real benchmark when it comes to GFX particular Sensor size and performance level would be the Pentax 645z (mirrorless aside).  A true trailblazer that deserves more respect than its been given.
Erik Kaffehr

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 06:07:37 pm »

X1D is 16bit  while the GFX is 14bit a difference of well.. [281-trillion] no.. not a typo.  Its what you pay premium dollars for. ..

As far as I know just not true. The 50MP sensor is ONLY 14bit no matter what Phase, Hassy or anyone else says. It's the same for the GFX.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 10:44:49 pm »

Hi,

Below is a good example. It is clearly visible that each fourth channel has a signal. Some processing is done on the 14 bit signal, so the channels between are not empty.

Another data sampled from an IQ350 image shows clearly that the data is 14-bit wide, although Phase also talks about 16-bit colour.

The last attachment shows the same area from an PhaseOne IQ3100 MP file. Phase One uses a new 16-bit file format to hold the data from the IQ3100.

The two Phase One samples were shared by Digital Transitions.

Best regards
Erik
As far as I know just not true. The 50MP sensor is ONLY 14bit no matter what Phase, Hassy or anyone else says. It's the same for the GFX.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up