Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Landscapes at 11mm  (Read 7876 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Re: Landscapes at 11mm
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 07:23:00 pm »

Beautiful work.  I particularly like the icy lakes. 
Hugh

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 10:21:08 am »

Thanks very much for the comments and feedback :)

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 05:16:21 pm »

Hans, great work and great use of the ultra-WA! :) As a lover of ultra-WA myself, I debated for a long time whether to get the 11-24mm for my Leica SL, and am still on the fence - I have the great Voigtlander 15mm v. III in M mount which I modified to use filters with, and both the Voigtlander 10 and 12mm, which are great but cannot use filters. Your images give me a huge nudge towards getting the 11-24, my wallet will hate you for it! :) Thanks again, best

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 08:40:04 pm »

Vieri,

I suspect any photographer at the level of either you or Hans could do magnificent things with an 11mm.

Us lesser mortals would need considerable discipline to learn to tame such a beast effectively.
So my wallet is safe, for now.   ;)

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 07:08:36 am »

Wide-angle photography is not as easy as some think. But you managed to get outstanding results… top-notch quality, as usual.
Bravo, Hans.
Francois

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 11:26:47 am »

Hans, great work and great use of the ultra-WA! :) As a lover of ultra-WA myself, I debated for a long time whether to get the 11-24mm for my Leica SL, and am still on the fence - I have the great Voigtlander 15mm v. III in M mount which I modified to use filters with, and both the Voigtlander 10 and 12mm, which are great but cannot use filters. Your images give me a huge nudge towards getting the 11-24, my wallet will hate you for it! :) Thanks again, best

Vieri

Thanks Vieri, if you go for it and you still hate me let me see the results :) Well, in any case let's see the results. Your pictures have me an appetite of passing the Cinque Terre coast on my way to Tuscany in May. Thanks.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 11:30:13 am »

Thanks Eric and Francois, I agree there is some getting used to such a wide lens and not all landscapes are made for it. But you can see that even Isle of Skye which I didn't think was so good for that turned out quite ok when I started looking for the shapes and details in the green hills. As mentioned initially I didn't think I would love this lens, so I felt I needed to show at least some motivation for going for it. It might actually have an impact beyond just that. Who knows? I will see on my own photography.

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 01:16:30 pm »

Thanks Vieri, if you go for it and you still hate me let me see the results :) Well, in any case let's see the results. Your pictures have me an appetite of passing the Cinque Terre coast on my way to Tuscany in May. Thanks.

Hello Hans,

of course I won't hate you, I never said that, and I am sure that the results of this lens will be fantastic - my wallet probably will hate you for it though! :D At the moment, I am using the Voigtlander 10 and 12mm, great little lovely lenses, but I need something I can slap a Grad ND and a ND on... the Canon 11-24 could be it, hence my interest (and my upcoming wallet pains!) :)

Glad my work inspired you to go to the Cinque Terre, an area I love since I was a child (much before I started working with photography!). If you decide to go, please let me know if I can be of assistance with anything (logistics, etc).

Best,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 12:55:46 pm »

Hello Hans,

of course I won't hate you, I never said that, and I am sure that the results of this lens will be fantastic - my wallet probably will hate you for it though! :D At the moment, I am using the Voigtlander 10 and 12mm, great little lovely lenses, but I need something I can slap a Grad ND and a ND on... the Canon 11-24 could be it, hence my interest (and my upcoming wallet pains!) :)

Glad my work inspired you to go to the Cinque Terre, an area I love since I was a child (much before I started working with photography!). If you decide to go, please let me know if I can be of assistance with anything (logistics, etc).

Best,

Vieri

Thanks Vieri, I don't suspect you would have me :) except your wallet would. I was not aware of the 10mm for the E-mount. I found a review and looks like a very interesting lens. There was a comment on perhaps not being able to close enough with this lens to a chosen foreground. The Canon can get very close.

And thanks for the offer about Cinque Terre. I have been there before but was kind of put off by the heavy tourism there. I will come back to you on that.

mikeSF_

• Mike Oria Photography
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 01:57:18 pm »

Fantastic work, Hans!
Pentax 645Z & K3II www.mikeoria.com

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 02:10:35 pm »

Thanks Vieri, I don't suspect you would have me :) except your wallet would. I was not aware of the 10mm for the E-mount. I found a review and looks like a very interesting lens. There was a comment on perhaps not being able to close enough with this lens to a chosen foreground. The Canon can get very close.

And thanks for the offer about Cinque Terre. I have been there before but was kind of put off by the heavy tourism there. I will come back to you on that.

Actually, I am using the 10mm Voigtlander in M mount with my Leica SL. You can see my review of it here:

VOIGTLANDER HELIAR-HYPER WIDE 10MM F/5.6 REVIEW

Best,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2017, 12:20:08 pm »

Actually, I am using the 10mm Voigtlander in M mount with my Leica SL. You can see my review of it here:

VOIGTLANDER HELIAR-HYPER WIDE 10MM F/5.6 REVIEW

Best,

Vieri

Thanks and good to know.

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2017, 05:35:56 pm »

Thanks and good to know.

You are very welcome - I think I have found a way to use 100mm filters on the 10mm as well :) I will report back on my website once I find out if it works... that'd make it perfect for me (and make me save a lot of money for the 11-24mm and the adapter!). Best,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

adias

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2017, 12:30:42 am »

Great series! Thanks for the education in ultra-wide shooting.

Hans: A couple of questions if you allow me:

* How did you approach focusing? Hyperfocal as given by a DoF tool?

* If you use a DoF tool which CoC (circle of confusion) metric do you use for the 5DSR?

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2017, 04:55:51 am »

Great series! Thanks for the education in ultra-wide shooting.

Hans: A couple of questions if you allow me:

* How did you approach focusing? Hyperfocal as given by a DoF tool?

* If you use a DoF tool which CoC (circle of confusion) metric do you use for the 5DSR?

Thanks. I usually use the Photopills DoF table to check hyperfocal distance and near limit and find the f-stop from that. For very closeup I usually use f/16, but I could in a number of cases go with f/11 instead. I haven't changed the CoC in Photopills from the default which is 0,032mm corresponding to a max print dimension of 1x0,66m and a viewing distance of 1m. That sounds good to me. I don't check the DoF table all the time as it is not really needed. I always is back button focus as the AF-ON is the only focussing button on the camera and it is always on AF. So I point the camera at the hyperfocal distance and focus using AF-On and then I compose and shoot. I always refocus after changing the focal length. I difficult cases I will check DoF in live view.

FataMorgana

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2017, 02:24:48 pm »

Cor, I don't know about anyone else, but some of those could be better photographed as stitched panos, the early three or four, close up on the forest, yikes!

Sorry - completely unconvinced by this perceived "need" to shoot so very wide.

Is there a reason you have excluded so many of the lovely red huts in the village?

I can appreciate the desire at times to go wide with the Northern Lights and a couple of other example, though I can't think which, but in all honestly, a 28 or a 35 and stitched pano would give us a far more realistic image.

Sorry - Room 101 for this lens.
Sony 2018 Professional Shortlist. 22 IPA H'Mentions 2017-15 +a 2nd 2016, Px3 cat' winner 2008

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2017, 03:44:36 pm »

... Is there a reason you have excluded so many of the lovely red huts in the village?...

Maybe try expanding the browser window full-screen next time? ;)

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 08:39:13 pm »

Hi Hans,

Thanks a lot for those impressive images using the 11mm of that lens. I own it too and yes it is a difficult beast to tame :-) This series you made is a good example for learning and especially thanks for the explanation how you made them. Widened my horizon a lot for experimenting more in future.

regards
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up