Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Landscapes at 11mm  (Read 7888 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Landscapes at 11mm
« on: February 19, 2017, 01:25:55 pm »

I got the Canon 11-24 f/4L lens in August 2016. I had hesitated for a while getting the lens as thought that in many cases it is way to wide in the range 11-14mm since I had the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 already. In fact it is in some locations it is. I was in Tuscany in November and I did not shot a single landscape shot using the 11-24 (or the 16-35). I did not think I would use it much on Isle og Skye, expected some use in the Dolomites, a bit in Abruzzo and some in Lofoten. So it turned out that I liked to use it a lot more than expected on Isle of Skye especially in the Quiraing. A few in the Dolomites and Abruzzo, but a lot on Lofoten. The examples here are at 11mm and I will often use the range between 11mm and 24mm. The big front lens will easily pick up lens flare and I use the Canon 16-35 f/4L IS is such situations where 16mm is adequate. All photos in the following was shot using the Canon 5DSR.

The way to shoot this lens is in most cases to get low and close to a foreground subject and pay attention to vertical lines and stretching of things in the corners. In some cases I will shoot straight lines with an angle on the camera and then correct in Lightroom using the transform function.

On Isle of Skye in the Quiraing, I liked to get close to the foreground shooting heather and grass and the landscape behind. In the following I had the tripod legs not extended and probably stretched a bit wide to get close to the ground. Some lens flare in the following was removed with spot removal in Lightroom and some I left.

in the following again I went close to the ground and wanted to match some of the foreground to the landscape. In this case I even wanted to zoom slightly further out!!

If everything is distant without a close foreground a very vast scene can be captured like the following of the Carezza lake in the Dolomites.

but I find mostly that a scene with a foreground close is working the best like the alternative from the same location

Some cases can look quite surreal like the following of the castle ruin at Rocca Calascio in Abruzzo shot in October 2016

where in the following the scene looks much more natural and not surreal although very wide

The following is from Hamnøy on Lofoten which is a very popular spot and this was overcast and felt the very wide view worked well (slightly cropped from the sides but not top of bottm of the frame).

and here is one with the sun illuminating the red cabins. In this case the camera pointed downwards a bit to capture the waves crashing on the rock and it was the correct using the guided transform function in Lightroom

For the Aurora I also liked the very wide view at times like this shot where I could capture a lot without being forced to do a vertical

A number of places there was ice at lakes and with the 11mm view it was possible to get both the ice formations and rock in the foreground and mountains in the background.

In many cases there was rock and ice with the low sun as possible compositions like the following shot a Hamnøy

So as you can see I really like this lens and I think you can get compositions otherwise not possible unless you want to stitch panos. In some locations I would not find it useful as in Tuscany where I typically shoot a lot with a 70-200 and 24-70, but Scotland and Lofoten was nice with this lens. It definitely had grown on my so maybe I will revise my judgement as time goes.  I hope this was useful for those of you who like me were doubting the usefulness of this amazing lens. Besides the very wide angle of view it is very very good optically and sharp into the corners even fully open. It vignets a lot fully open and I correct in Lightroom for this. Stopped down I did not use lens correction.

The gallery with the examples plus some more can be found here http://hanskrusephotography.zenfolio.com/p237726957

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: Landscapes at 11mm
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 01:34:49 pm »

Hans, I would love to see these images, but on all it says: "Content Protected by Owner" with a picture of a padlock.
You probably have to change some security setting.

In the other thread your images of the Lofoten appear normally.
pieter, aka pegelli

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 01:53:25 pm »

Hans, I would love to see these images, but on all it says: "Content Protected by Owner" with a picture of a padlock.
You probably have to change some security setting.

In the other thread your images of the Lofoten appear normally.

Thanks Pieter, I hope it is ok now as I had chosen full resolution and that was locked by default. I have now enabled that so it should be ok.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 02:21:17 pm »

Some stunning shots, Hans. I shall have to start saving my pennies, I think.

Jeremy

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 02:23:12 pm »

Nicely done, Hans, nicely done. I shoot my Nikkor 10-24 DX on my 7100 for certain situations; similar fun!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 02:49:49 pm »

Stunning use of the ultra-super-duper wide angle! The way you do it, makes it difficult to fathom it is so wide. Thanks for posting it, without seeing it, I would have never thought 11mm might be so useful for anything but exaggerated perspective.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 02:53:06 pm »

Nicely done, Hans, nicely done. I shoot my Nikkor 10-24 DX on my 7100 for certain situations; similar fun!

Thanks David, but please note this is 11mm on full frame so this is very very different from 10mm on a crop camera which is 15mm on full frame. That is why I wrote the post :)

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 02:54:39 pm »

They show correctly now Hans, thank you!

Wonderful shots, but I had no doubts about that!
The way you use foreground/background without much exaggerated perspective distortion is really masterful.

pieter, aka pegelli

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 02:57:10 pm »

Stunning use of the ultra-super-duper wide angle! The way you do it, makes it difficult to fathom it is so wide. Thanks for posting it, without seeing it, I would have never thought 11mm might be so useful for anything but exaggerated perspective.

Thanks Slobodan, that was exactly my view as well until I tried it out. The first try was trying someone else's 11-24 and then I saw the potential. One really need to have this lens on the camera and then view the world through it. I would not have thought it before trying it. The next closest is the Sigma ART 12-24 lens although not is good as the Canon one is another choice.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 03:01:22 pm »

They show correctly now Hans, thank you!

Wonderful shots, but I had no doubts about that!
The way you use foreground/background without much exaggerated perspective distortion is really masterful.

Thanks Pieter and sorry for the initial problem. It was really a surprise for me to discover this view and will rediscover some of my favourite spots and locations in a different way.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 03:41:06 pm »

Hi Hans,

Thanks for sharing. Some really nice images! I guess it takes some effort to learn making best use of extreme wide angles.

The second image of the Carezza is a good example of that.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Peter McLennan

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 07:59:33 pm »

I agree with the other observations that the extreme wide angle used isn't apparent at all in the images.  Superb use of this optic.  Makes me want to get my Samyang 14 out of the bag.  Thanks for the education!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 10:47:02 pm »

Hi Hans,

These are truly stunning. I'm so glad I encouraged you to start this 11mm thread.

It's clear to me that having such a wonderful lens isn't enough. You have to know how to use it to best advantage, and have a good eye for light and composition, too.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Cornfield

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 05:08:29 am »

Great series of landscapes and the image from Skye is a wonderul big country perspective.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 05:21:40 am »

Hans,
very beautiful photos! the 11mm seems a great lens...
I read it was not that good on 11mm but that seems to be not the case.

i only think this is a bit unnatural, or is it me?

cheers, PK
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Brad Smith

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 07:43:37 am »

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the wonderful images, a tribute to your mastery, and for the very useful synopsis of the possibilities with this lens.

I have been considering this lens for some time. I know some have concerns about the bulbous lens front, specifically how to protect it when using it in the field. I would be curious if you have any comments on that.

Thanks.
Brad

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 08:31:41 am »

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the wonderful images, a tribute to your mastery, and for the very useful synopsis of the possibilities with this lens.

I have been considering this lens for some time. I know some have concerns about the bulbous lens front, specifically how to protect it when using it in the field. I would be curious if you have any comments on that.

Thanks.
Brad

Thanks Brad, I keep the lenscover on the lens until I'm ready to compose and shoot and the I put it on again. After I have done the shot I put it back on again and move around  for another composition. It's a bit similar to the Nikon 14-24 which also has a big front element although a bit smaller than the 11-24. I would say it is not an issue.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 08:33:30 am »

Hans,
very beautiful photos! the 11mm seems a great lens...
I read it was not that good on 11mm but that seems to be not the case.

i only think this is a bit unnatural, or is it me?

cheers, PK

Thanks very much. It was Venus low on the horizon and I was debating with myself if I should include it or not. In some shots I excluded it and in others I did include it. So it is completely natural :)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 06:05:05 pm »

Really lovely photos of some amazing landscapes. Well done! I'd say that lens is a keeper.
-MattB

BAB

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 06:51:12 pm »

Great fun images would love to see some creative use of the zoom and stacking the images should provide a very interesting view not possible otherwise.
thanks for sharing.

barry
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up