Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Epson SC P5000 user reports?

(1/4) > >>

Rand47:
Hello, All . . .

I'm wondering if any of you have bought the P5000 and have some early user experience with it?  I'm considering replacing my P800 with the P5000.  Previous to the P800 I was using a 4880 and loved the vacuum platen, roll feed cutter, etc. and miss those on the 800 - along with the general robustness of the 4880.

So, on a practical level I'd like to know how well the black ink switching works; how well the roll to sheet feed system works; how clog resistant it seems to be, etc.

Would appreciate any impressions you have . . . Thanks!
Rand

keithcooper:
I'm afraid I'll (probably) not be getting one for a review until April, so any observations beforehand will be useful...

Wayne Fox:
very preliminary, but hopefully the one I've had the last week isn't typical (I'm assuming there's something wrong with it because I've never even seen a 4900 that was this bad)

Basically the printer has cleaned about 30 times, and switching from PK to MK for the second time (the first switch involved about 7 total cleans with one power clean), i'm at 10 cleans now including a power clean and still with issues.  I'll be calling Epson on Monday, assuming I'll get a service call to see if something is amiss.  I can't imagine this is typical because if it is it will be a complete disaster, making the troublesome 4900 seem fantastic.

As much as they seemed to improve the p9000 printer (mine has only cleaned about 5 times in over a year and have switched to MK and back numerous times), I may opt to return this and get a p800.  I ran one of those for about 7 months, then sold it to a friend, and never needed a clean.  I mainly bought this to give it go, as the 4900 we quit recommending to customers at the store and needed to see if the 5000 resolved anything.

I'll update when I know more.

Rand47:
Wayne,

YIKES!  I sure hope you just got a dud.  Thanks so much for responding, and please keep us posted on how things turn out.  My first P 800 was defective and Epson swapped it out for a new one.  Not confidence inspiring.

Best,
Rand

Rand47:
Wayne,

Any update?  Sure hope the printer you received was merely defective.

Rand

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version