Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson SC P5000 user reports?  (Read 6406 times)

Rand47

Epson SC P5000 user reports?
« on: February 19, 2017, 11:09:28 am »

Hello, All . . .

I'm wondering if any of you have bought the P5000 and have some early user experience with it?  I'm considering replacing my P800 with the P5000.  Previous to the P800 I was using a 4880 and loved the vacuum platen, roll feed cutter, etc. and miss those on the 800 - along with the general robustness of the 4880.

So, on a practical level I'd like to know how well the black ink switching works; how well the roll to sheet feed system works; how clog resistant it seems to be, etc.

Would appreciate any impressions you have . . . Thanks!
Rand
Rand Scott Adams

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
Re: Epson SC P5000 user reports?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 03:38:55 pm »

I'm afraid I'll (probably) not be getting one for a review until April, so any observations beforehand will be useful...

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 03:26:12 pm »

very preliminary, but hopefully the one I've had the last week isn't typical (I'm assuming there's something wrong with it because I've never even seen a 4900 that was this bad)

Basically the printer has cleaned about 30 times, and switching from PK to MK for the second time (the first switch involved about 7 total cleans with one power clean), i'm at 10 cleans now including a power clean and still with issues.  I'll be calling Epson on Monday, assuming I'll get a service call to see if something is amiss.  I can't imagine this is typical because if it is it will be a complete disaster, making the troublesome 4900 seem fantastic.

As much as they seemed to improve the p9000 printer (mine has only cleaned about 5 times in over a year and have switched to MK and back numerous times), I may opt to return this and get a p800.  I ran one of those for about 7 months, then sold it to a friend, and never needed a clean.  I mainly bought this to give it go, as the 4900 we quit recommending to customers at the store and needed to see if the 5000 resolved anything.

I'll update when I know more.

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 07:14:07 pm »

Wayne,

YIKES!  I sure hope you just got a dud.  Thanks so much for responding, and please keep us posted on how things turn out.  My first P 800 was defective and Epson swapped it out for a new one.  Not confidence inspiring.

Best,
Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Rand47

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 03:50:29 pm »

Wayne,

Any update?  Sure hope the printer you received was merely defective.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 10:23:10 pm »

So a follow up report.  I've been very busy trying to get a gallery up and running so I never got around to talking to Epson about the printer. 

I have found that despite the early issues, the printer has stabilized and now cleans infrequently, and no longer does repeat cleanings. I'll continue to watch it, but it could I had an excessive amount of air in the line which the printer had difficulty purging.  Hopefully Mark and Keith will get units soon and provide more in depth information.

Rand47

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 10:47:55 pm »

So a follow up report.  I've been very busy trying to get a gallery up and running so I never got around to talking to Epson about the printer. 

I have found that despite the early issues, the printer has stabilized and now cleans infrequently, and no longer does repeat cleanings. I'll continue to watch it, but it could I had an excessive amount of air in the line which the printer had difficulty purging.  Hopefully Mark and Keith will get units soon and provide more in depth information.

Wayne,

Thanks for the follow-up.  Are you pleased with the output & handling characteristics?

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 11:45:25 pm »

Wayne,

Thanks for the follow-up.  Are you pleased with the output & handling characteristics?

Rand
Absolutely.  I've always like this series for a 17" printer, good roll handling capability including cutting the media, manual feed works well and easy to access, and the reason I like it over the p800 is the paper tray which can hold a large stack of paper.  Output is stellar, pretty much identical to my p9000.

mramsden

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 01:14:02 am »

Mine arrived today. Had trouble getting it through the door to my work room! My daughter and I had to rotate it vertically to get the the relatively small door to the room I use.

I had re-profiled my monitor with my i1display Pro while waiting for it to arrive. Ran Atkinson's test file through it once it was set up (had a bit of a glitch as the network seemed to set the ip address incorrectly and couldn't find it until I entered it manually). I also ran the same file through my Stylus Pro 3880 at the same time, same paper with the appropriate profile for the printer.

Held my breath ... I had just added some new ink carts to the 3880, having run out recently, and was dreading that I might not see any difference.

But: sorry 3880, there was a very obvious difference, I was happy to see. What I saw on the monitor was nicely duplicated on the print for the p5000. The 3880 was very close in some areas, but quite different in others. Seems to me much better differentiation between reds and oranges. Greens much deeper. Reds more realistic; blacks blacker. Even my wife could see the difference, and she had wondered what the heck I was doing bringing this monster into the house. Colours all richer, and better differentiated, but particularly reds, oranges, greens. Skin tones more neutral.

Out of the box, the prints look better than what I've got from the 3880 in the last 6 years. (Just ran a variety of images through to try it out.)

I did have some trouble initially as it seemed to keep wanting to print to roll paper, although I had some smaller sheets in the tray. There seems to be 4 or 5 different areas to specify what paper is in the printer, and one overrides another. Once I got that sorted (being impatient, haven't cracked the manual yet) it just works. Not used to the vacuum: sounds quite different than the 3880.

I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this!

Rand47

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 01:46:18 am »

I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this!

Thanks for the very encouraging report.  I pick mine up tomorrow.  I'm not expecting huge gains in image quality, coming from the P800 - but I am looking forward to the enhanced paper handling and generally more robust build. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

mramsden

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 09:09:04 pm »

I also considered the P800, but I wanted the additional colours and features. I'll be selling the 3880 for a good price, which will help to offset the add'l cost over the P800 (I hope.) If I can't find a buyer, I'll donate to the local high school photo club.

Rand47

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 10:02:56 pm »

I picked up my P5000 today.  Set-up was typical easy Epson.  Drivers very familiar.  Print evaluation test prints look really good.  I can see the better gamut - subtle but "there."  The skin tones on the little kids in the evaluation file are the best I've gotten yet from any of the printers I've owned.  Pretty much a perfect screen to print match.  I did some re-prints of some recent work and also see slightly better tonal transition, better greens / blues, overall more "presence" in the print.

I too, HATE the rear manual feed, but I'm working to get it sorted out.  So far, the pat-my-head, face east, use-two-hands and "jam it home" method - seems to be the way to not get a load error!  Good grief.  This is one aspect where the 800 was much easier.  It took about 8 tries before I got the "ready" light...  Drove me to a premature martini.   I'll mess with the front feed tomorrow and see if that's not a better option.

So far, so good.  Nice solid machine.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

11201ny

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 04:15:42 pm »

Just got the P5000 last week - an upgrade from the 4800. So far I have had no clogging issues. The prints look really great - a worthy upgrade from the Ultrachrome ink system to the HDX ink system.

However, there is some issues i am trying to work out with Epson...

1. The printer makes a high pitched screaming noise while printing - it's unbearable. I was told it is from the paper suction process, and that it is normal. It's not normal, it sucks.

2. I use roll paper. The roll paper cutter makes gently scalloped cuts. Epson is sending a new cutter, but i don't think that's the issue.

For anyone els who has just bought one of these, does any of this ring a bell?

Rand47

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 08:03:54 pm »

Just got the P5000 last week - an upgrade from the 4800. So far I have had no clogging issues. The prints look really great - a worthy upgrade from the Ultrachrome ink system to the HDX ink system.

However, there is some issues i am trying to work out with Epson...

1. The printer makes a high pitched screaming noise while printing - it's unbearable. I was told it is from the paper suction process, and that it is normal. It's not normal, it sucks.

2. I use roll paper. The roll paper cutter makes gently scalloped cuts. Epson is sending a new cutter, but i don't think that's the issue.

For anyone els who has just bought one of these, does any of this ring a bell?

Mine is quiet. Quieter than my 4880 re vacuuming sound. No screeching of any sort at all while printing.

Paper cutter is good, much like the 4880 - clean even edges. 

I think I'd be pushing for a replacement. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 09:15:30 pm »

Mark has a unit and is testing now.  You'll find a comprehensive report in the near future here.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Rand47

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 09:17:08 pm »

Mark has a unit and is testing now.  You'll find a comprehensive report in the near future here.

Thanks, Kevin...

Look forward to Mark's sense of the machine. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: [1]   Go Up