Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outdoor Photographer is a shadow of its former self  (Read 1020 times)

Markf11

Outdoor Photographer is a shadow of its former self
« on: February 18, 2017, 04:34:25 pm »

I just got my March issue of "Outdoor Photographer" (US), a magazine that I have subscribed to for over ten years, and I must say the quality has taken a sharp nosedive the last few issues. There is a small banner on the cover saying "new look", but the new look leaves a great deal to be desired.  The page layouts and photo reproduction seem pretty mediocre, with a great deal of empty wasted space on plain white pages, and the design is elementary, uninspired and really kind of cheap looking.  These likely are budgetary moves to get the cost of printing down, but geez, this is little more than a pamphlet at this point.

I know that the old owners were having trouble with payments and sold the title to a Boston based publisher, but I had hoped they would make a better show of it. Hate to see it come to an end after so long, or go digital only.  Does anyone know what is happening behind the scenes?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:37:39 pm by Markf11 »

Telecaster

Re: Outdoor Photographer is a shadow of its former self
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 04:54:25 pm »

Gotta say the only photo mag I still look at is Amateur Photographer, and that only because my multi-year subscription hasn't run out yet. (I do still enjoy magazines devoted to photographs rather than photographing.) The interwebs cover my gear curiosity and interest just fine.

-Dave-

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 11:58:47 am »

I haven't looked at it for a while but just recently picked up a $2 subscription to OP. Hopefully I will get my money's worth!
-MattB

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 12:45:14 pm »

I have a friend who has collected every issue of Outdoor Photographer since its beginnings.  I know I was quite influenced by Galen Rowell who contributed until his untimely death.  I do appreciate the way OP still remembers the beginnings when most landscape photographers were also conservationists / preservationists. No the photos aren't the best quality, but it doesn't really cost much. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up