Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 5.7 and Sony raw files  (Read 2850 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
LR 5.7 and Sony raw files
« on: February 18, 2017, 09:44:52 am »

I keep LR 5.7 on a laptop for casual use but it cannot read Sony ARW files. Of course Adobe has no update. Is there a way around this other than doing raw conversions outside of LR? Thanks.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: LR 5.7 and Sony raw files
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 09:52:33 am »

I keep LR 5.7 on a laptop for casual use but it cannot read Sony ARW files. Of course Adobe has no update. Is there a way around this other than doing raw conversions outside of LR? Thanks.

Update LR on your laptop?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

PeterAit

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 10:28:43 am »

If you had included a smiley face with that I might not have rolled my eyes quite so much  :D.

bns

• Boudewijn Swanenburg Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 11:18:55 am »

I thought using an up to date version of Adobe DNG converter would give you DNG's that can be imported in LR 5.7.

Boudewijn Swanenburg

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 11:42:27 am »

If you had included a smiley face with that I might not have rolled my eyes quite so much  :D.

Peter - it was a serious question; you're obviously very dedicated to the craft and make superb photographs - I would have thought keeping these applications up to date would be the first line of defense, especially in situations like this where on purpose Adobe is not packing support for new cameras in legacy versions of its raw converters. I too use my laptop rather occasionally, but when I need it, I need the full functionality of my desktop so I keep the software versions up-dated roughly in parallel and that way I'm not left to concern myself about workarounds. I think it makes sense given the relatively low cost involved; but of course each person needs to make that determination for themselves.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 11:53:12 am »

Hi,

You can use Adobe's DNG converter to convert your ARW files to DNG.

That is a way…

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 04:55:42 am »

You said that 5.7 is just for casual use, so do you use CC on other machine(s)?  If so then just load CC on your laptop.  I have CC loaded on my desktop and 2 laptops and an all in one and I can use any of them (1 or 2 at a time), you just need to log into Adobe before using it.  Which reminds me I need to update CC on my all in one as I've not used it for a long time.

PeterAit

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 10:32:15 am »

Peter - it was a serious question; you're obviously very dedicated to the craft and make superb photographs - I would have thought keeping these applications up to date would be the first line of defense, especially in situations like this where on purpose Adobe is not packing support for new cameras in legacy versions of its raw converters. I too use my laptop rather occasionally, but when I need it, I need the full functionality of my desktop so I keep the software versions up-dated roughly in parallel and that way I'm not left to concern myself about workarounds. I think it makes sense given the relatively low cost involved; but of course each person needs to make that determination for themselves.

Mark, Thanks for the response. I didn't make myself clear, I fear. I do my "serious" photo work on a dedicated desktop that is always kept up to date. The rather old laptop is used only for casual things and when I want portability, such as when I visit family. I don;t need the latest and greatest for that, and the processing of LR 5.7 is just fine. I would rather not pay for an upgrade I don't really need

Cheers,

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 10:44:00 am »

Understood.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 10:49:09 am »

...... I don;t need the latest and greatest for that, and the processing of LR 5.7 is just fine. I would rather not pay for an upgrade I don't really need

Cheers,
Yes, you don't need to pay for an upgrade.  Adobe allow you to use LR and PS on any 2 machines you like, and as I mentioned above these can be switched between any number ...

I used to do the same thing as you, but using a single license I keep up to date versions of LR and PS on all of my machines now so that I have access to the same tools, but more importantly so that they can all read my latest camera raw files
Pages: [1]   Go Up