Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Epson SC-Px000 printers... are the new heads reducing clogging issues?

(1/3) > >>

gkroeger:
It has been a year now since the SureColor P6000, P7000, P8000 and P9000 supplanted the older x900 series. Epson touts the improved head design and coatings as addressing clogging issues. My question for folks who had the older printers, and now are using the new versions, is whether the improvements are real.

Wayne Fox:
my p9000 is a little over a year old.  I think I’ve had to do a channel clean 4 or 5 times.  Between PK/MK switch (I’ve done that about 20 times) the printer only cleaned once.

Original maintenance tanks aren’t anywhere near needing replaced yet.  so anecdotally from my experience clogging isn’t much of an issue.

As I think about it, one other item.  my 9900 was in a room that I kept at a constant 45% humidity.  Last May I moved to a new location, and space was tighter so I didn’t set up the humidifier ... so these results are in an environment that is probably closer to 25% humidity or even dryer at times (Salt Lake City). 

That’s what I’ve experienced so far.

mkihne:
Have avoided the X900 line because of the head issues. About 8 mo. Since purchase of P9000. I'm certain it is used much less frequently than Wayne's 9000, but one cleaning and small segment drop out LK nozzle check are the only issues I've had. Printer has been idle up to 2.5 weeks at a time, although I try to print an image that will utilize all colors at least once a week when possible. Recent cold snap saw 5% humidity for a couple of weeks until I humidified the room. No nozzle issues with that. Having experience with 2 3880 printers, my P9000 experience appears closer to that of my 3880's than what others report with X900 series, but one anecdotal account is hardly long term evidence.....to be continued.

Mike

datro:

--- Quote from: gkroeger on February 17, 2017, 03:59:18 pm ---. . . the improved head design. . .

--- End quote ---

I am almost certain the head in the Pxxxx SureColor printers is EXACTLY the same head as in the earlier x900 printers.  Epson's "new" head design only applies to the P10000 and P20000.

That said, I think there have been definite changes in the Pxxxx printers which should result in fewer problems with missing nozzles and improved head reliability overall:

* improved ink and head maintenance routines in the firmware
* I can't prove it, but I think the new HDX ink chemistry has actually been slightly modified to help reduce clogging
* improved pump/cap assembly (evidenced by changed part numbers noticed when I recently replaced this assembly on my 7900)
I've owned my 7900 since Dec. 2008 and my P9000 since July last year.  I replaced the head and Ink Selector on the 7900 in 2014 due to a failed Green channel, and then the Green channel failed again about a year later.  It is now running the new Piezography Pro inks as a dedicated B&W printer.

My P9000 so far has had only two cases of missing any nozzles which were easily cleared with a normal pair cleaning.  I print at least once a week and the printers are maintained in my studio at about 50% humidity.  My records for the 7900 show that most of my "missing nozzle" problems occurred in the Summer months, not in the Winter as one might expect. (My theory on this is that it is actually humidity/temperature variability that is the enemy for these printers, not so much just a specific level of humidity.  My humidty and temperature varies a lot more in the Summer than in the Winter.)

So I think the real test for my P9000 will be to see how it does this Summer in comparison.  But so far it has been great.  To be continued...

Dave

Wayne Fox:

--- Quote from: datro on February 18, 2017, 11:29:07 am ---I am almost certain the head in the Pxxxx SureColor printers is EXACTLY the same head as in the earlier x900 printers.  Epson's "new" head design only applies to the P10000 and P20000.

That said, I think there have been definite changes in the Pxxxx printers which should result in fewer problems with missing nozzles and improved head reliability overall:

* improved ink and head maintenance routines in the firmware
* I can't prove it, but I think the new HDX ink chemistry has actually been slightly modified to help reduce clogging
* improved pump/cap assembly (evidenced by changed part numbers noticed when I recently replaced this assembly on my 7900)

--- End quote ---
You may be right about the head, although I heard there were some subtle changes.  But I think your other comments are valid, as I believe clogging issues are much more about other factors than we realized.  I've heard (sorry don't remember where) another area that was modified was to keep paper dust and and other debris away from the head with the design of the capping station, which was quite problematic, especially on the 4900.  Interesting to note the best performing printer was the one that didn't have a paper cutter (38xx series).

Whatever the reason, it does appear this new series is better than previous generations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version