Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mounting a Nikon Nikkor AM-ED f/5.6 210mm lens  (Read 3470 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Mounting a Nikon Nikkor AM-ED f/5.6 210mm lens
« on: February 17, 2017, 01:10:23 pm »

I had an opportunity to pick up a copy of the Nikon Nikkor AM-ED f/5.6 210mm lens at a low price. Even though it is large, I got it. Now, can anyone show me how best to use it on the Nikon D810. It takes a Copal #1, and I have one on order for the Cambo Actus, but it may take a while. In the meantime, I have an Actus lens mount that allows me to mount it, but a little loose. Still I can see though it with the D810, but the length of the Cambo Actus rail is not enough for it to come into focus.

Any ideas about how I should/could mount this on the Cambo Actus or any other bellows system? Any help would be appreciated. The lens is in perfect condition.

I am waiting for the Fuji GFX. How would you go about using this lens with that camera.

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Re: Mounting a Nikon Nikkor AM-ED f/5.6 210mm lens
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 07:27:27 am »

I can't believe that no one here can explain to me what I need to mount the AM-ED 210MM lens on something so I could use it (or part of it) with a Nikon D810. Any ideas?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 08:08:45 am »

There are both longer rails and longer bellows for the Actus to give you more distance when needed. Since you already getting a Copal 1 lens board, with those two extra bits you should be set.
Instagram (updated often)

TimoK

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 06:55:17 am »

If You turn the swing of Actus 180 degrees and then mount #1 lensplate, you can focus 210mm to at nearest around 3-4 metres with normal rail. But the bellow is to short for that. Maybe you need macro bellows and rail for other reasons too.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 09:19:05 am »

If You turn the swing of Actus 180 degrees and then mount #1 lensplate, you can focus 210mm to at nearest around 3-4 metres with normal rail. But the bellow is to short for that. Maybe you need macro bellows and rail for other reasons too.

I will order the AC-345 extended rail and the AC-214 long bellows for the Actus and see how that works.

I also am looking at the Novoflex Ballpro which, with a longer extension to mount the camera might give me something. I tried it out by just holding things in place, and I was able to focus, but, as mentioned, would need the longer camera extension for mounting the camera. I was able to find a BALPRO (Rollei) Copal #1 mount for the AM-ED 210mm.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 09:23:04 am by Michael Erlewine »

TimoK

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 11:16:55 am »

I guess you can go to life size with the AC-345 but not with AC-214. See Cambo site: AC-214
You'll need AC-215 or AC-216 for macro work.
Edit. You need ~420mm extension to life size with 210mm lens. You are looking for diificulties when pairing Actus with Novoflex Ballpro. At least vignetting will be a problem. Why not buy a bellows long enough for Actus.
Keep it simple.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:29:25 am by TimoK »

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 11:30:57 am »

I had an opportunity to pick up a copy of the Nikon Nikkor AM-ED f/5.6 210mm lens at a low price. <snip>

I am waiting for the Fuji GFX. How would you go about using this lens with that camera.

How about this. if you've got a 4x5 lying around:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1311714-REG/fujifilm_16551312_view_camera_adapter_g.html

Looks like you can even use a leaf shutter.

Jim

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 11:37:53 am »

I guess you can go to life size with the AC-345 but not with AC-214. See Cambo site: AC-214
You'll need AC-215 or AC-216 for macro work.
Edit. You need ~420mm extension to life size with 210mm lens. You are looking for diificulties when pairing Actus with Novoflex Ballpro. At least vignetting will be a problem. Why not buy a bellows long enough for Actus.
Keep it simple.

Cambo AC-214 Long Bellows (works with ACC-330 longer Monorail) 7.9” extension (200 mm) $450.00

ACDB-256 Macro Bellows ($745) for Actus-DB 450mm bellows

Cambo AC-330 Longer Monorail (11.8” long) (300 mm), gets 1”1 magnification ration with a 120mm macro lens. $152.00

Cambo AC-345 Macro Monorail (17.7”) (450mm) 1:1 Mag. Ratio with 180mm Macro Lens $195.00

Not looking to mix Cambo and BALPRO. With the BALPRO, I am just experimenting and will soon know.

With the Cambo Actus, I will need a longer rail and bellows, and we will see if Cambo brings out a GFX mount for the Actus.

IMO, the best lens bargains are in the LF area, and I have a good number of these lenses already that I would like to play more with.

TimoK

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 11:47:27 am »

From Cambo site AC-216 :
The AC-216 is the macro bellows for the ACTUS series.
The maximum extension covers the full extension of the AC-345 ACTUS monorail of 45cm and focus reach.
Price is unknown for me.
Btw. I have Cambo 4x5 view camera in closet, weight 4 kilograms. I use today Cambo Actus, weight 1 kilogram.

Graham Welland

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 10:38:23 pm »

I use the Schneider APO Symmar 210/5.6 on Actus DB+. I use the the AC-330 /254 combo with this lens although not for macro.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:47:08 pm by Graham Welland »
Graham

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 10:48:25 pm »

I use the Schneider APO Symmar 210/5.6 on Actus DB+. I use the the AC-330 /254 combo with this lens although not for macro.

I have the following on order and already have a variety of lens mounts for the Cambo Actus. I would like to see an Actus with removable camera standards as they have removable lens mounts.

Cambo AC-345 Macro Monorail (17.7”) (450mm) 1:1 Mag. Ratio with 180mm Macro Lens $189.00
Cambo AC-216 Macro Bellows (450mm) $535.00

Graham Welland

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 10:51:27 pm »

The AC-345 / AC-216 will definitely be bigger that's for sure! Actually the longer bellows wouldn't have been a bad choice for me either with hindsight as I think that the AC-254 is pretty extended even for just infinity use. I carry both sets of bellows (std and AC-254).

If you don't put the limit screw back in to the rail, you can slide the rear standard off the rail if you prefer.
Graham

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 11:24:23 pm »

The AC-345 / AC-216 will definitely be bigger that's for sure! Actually the longer bellows wouldn't have been a bad choice for me either with hindsight as I think that the AC-254 is pretty extended even for just infinity use. I carry both sets of bellows (std and AC-254).

If you don't put the limit screw back in to the rail, you can slide the rear standard off the rail if you prefer.

Not sure what the value is of sliding the rear standard off the rail. Perhaps you could explain?

A separate, smaller system involves the Novoflex BALPRO T/S. For my work, this system was poorly designed, because to stack photos optimally for stacking software, we want to FIX the front standard and move the camera with the rear standard. A second best method is using the focusing ring on a standard lens, and the least optimal is using a focus rail and moving the whole camera/lens.

Well, the BALPRO allows you to move the front standard (T/S) area, but has no focus knob on the rear standard, where I would like it. Sad. So, I mount my lenses to the BALPRO on the rear standard and move the camera/front-standard to stack photos.

The length of the bellows on the BALPRO is 200mm (7.9”), which is just enough to do some things. To gain a little extra distance I use a wide Nikkor extension ring like the PK-13 (27.5mm) on which I mount the camera. The BALPRO, for all of its imperfections, does offer a relatively inexpensive bellows system for mounting a DSLR. I imagine that I will be able to mount the Fuji GFX on the BALPRO using something like the Fotodiox Nikon adapter and have an instant mini-technical camera. Novoflex makes many adapters and the Rollei X-Act 2 boards fit the BALPRO (and vice versa). 

Graham Welland

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 11:27:25 pm »

Not sure what the value is of sliding the rear standard off the rail. Perhaps you could explain?

I thought you asked about the option for a removable rear standard ... that's the closest you'll get with this rig. Personally when I pack the unit I move the rear standard up to the minimum focus point for my 40HR and that keeps the standards close together.
Graham

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 05:33:57 am »

I thought you asked about the option for a removable rear standard ... that's the closest you'll get with this rig. Personally when I pack the unit I move the rear standard up to the minimum focus point for my 40HR and that keeps the standards close together.

Misunderstanding. What I need is a "movable" rear-standard, not a removable. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up