Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big decision To keep Pentax 645D and some lenses or Get Fuji GSX  (Read 2155 times)

rollsman44

Big decision To keep Pentax 645D and some lenses or Get Fuji GSX
« on: February 16, 2017, 12:32:01 pm »

I am on the fence about selling my Pentax 645D and 4 lenses I have.  Not sure if its a good idea to sell my Pentax equipment and Bite the bullet and get the GSX. I am Retired and shoot very little so it would be more for my personal use and on occasion do portraits and Group shots .  Then I am thinking I should wait and try to buy one Used if someone decided to sell for another camera and save some money. Thanks   

voidshatter

Re: Big decision To keep Pentax 645D and some lenses or Get Fuji GSX
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 12:44:03 pm »

I am Retired 

No offense, but even while I'm still relatively young, I no longer enjoy heavy gear. Mobility is of very high priority to me, because the best lens/camera is not the one with the sharpest image, but the one I have by my hand when I need. Bulky gear laying at home without seeing the sun is considered to be non-performing asset, and the continued depreciation makes it hard to justify it over an iPhone. This is why I'm interested in light-weighted gear so I can take it with me more frequently and so to actually take pictures. So personally I wouldn't hesitate to sell the heavy DSLR no matter how much I paid initially.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:51:46 pm »

Anyone better than their camera should move up if they can afford it; anyone else should just use what they have and, if the money really is burning holes near your nether regions, just do some travel and give your camera a new set of options.

New cameras are like new cars: in three months the newness wears off and you don't even see them anymore.

Rob C

rollsman44

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 02:13:38 pm »

I hear you all. Makes sense. I have to seriously decide soon. I am thinking GFX and Not Hassy Mirrorless

jamgolf

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 02:37:25 pm »

If its a hobby and if you can afford to get a new toy then by all means go for it. You'd probably be a happy owner.
I owned/used/enjoyed the Pentax 645D and it was a gateway camera for me as an entry to medium format (digital).
Personally I would not go from a 645D to another 44x33 sized medium format camera, if considerable expense is involved.
No right or wrong answer here :)
IQ3 100 • Cambo 1600 • Rodenstock 32,50,90 • Zeiss 350SA
[URL=http://"http:

rollsman44

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 04:18:49 pm »

I know its what I want but I am going to wait and see some Posts on those who purchase it before I buy. Thank you all

Pablovi

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 04:43:36 pm »

I own a 645D, and I'm pleased with it, it was all I could afford actually.
And I would sell it in a heart beat to buy a Fuji GFX.

Lot less weight, size and more modern tech.

If only I could seel it and my lenses and buy a GFX, but it won't even get me half way there.

Joe Towner

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 04:56:44 pm »

I think that the 645D is about as low a value as it'll get - it has some advantages over 35mm, but really can't drop much more.  If you have FA lenses, they're holding their value quite well.  If you can hold off 6 months, you may be able to get a GFX at a discount compared to the current pricing, plus when Sony revisions the 50MP chip to 70ish MP, there will be a large group of folks stepping up, no matter the platform.

It's amazing, 3 years of 50MP CMOS 33x44 ...
t: @PNWMF

Pablovi

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 08:23:24 pm »

I think that the 645D is about as low a value as it'll get - it has some advantages over 35mm, but really can't drop much more.  If you have FA lenses, they're holding their value quite well.  If you can hold off 6 months, you may be able to get a GFX at a discount compared to the current pricing, plus when Sony revisions the 50MP chip to 70ish MP, there will be a large group of folks stepping up, no matter the platform.

It's amazing, 3 years of 50MP CMOS 33x44 ...

I don't know about the value of the 645D right now, I paid $1,500 USD for the camera(3,800 actuations) and 3 FA lenses. Granted they are the least wanted lenses (45, 75 and 200mm), and it was a real bargain, but still.

And yeah, the quality is not that big of a jump from FF 35mm DSLR's, if at all. But I didn't had one, just APS-C sensors, and this was cheaper than that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up