Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 55-110 soft focus  (Read 17071 times)

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
Mamiya 55-110 soft focus
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 01:03:42 am »

Quote from: Lester,Aug 2 2006, 08:49 PM
I hope you know that, you cannot use the manual lens on a AF body without changing the focusing screem. There is a focusing screem for the manual lens, without it, it will back focus and look out of focus.

hi I was wondering if the focussing screen for manual lenses was not made  to make focussing easier? I have two manual lenses for my ZD and I dont seem to have a focus problem. I dont have a manual focus screen and just use the infocus dot for focussing.
Thanks Ivan

Graham Welland

Mamiya 55-110 soft focus
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 04:39:04 am »

My web browser can't view any of the posted images in any thread on this forum. I'm using Safari on a Mac (actually on more than one machine, too). Anyone else with Safari having problems?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72897\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have the same problem. It's almost as if the mime type for the images isn't being set correctly - I get a binary/text dump in Safari when I click on the images.
Graham

Graham Welland

Mamiya 55-110 soft focus
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 04:42:25 am »

Quote from: ivan muller,Aug 9 2006, 09:03 PM
Quote from: Lester,Aug 2 2006, 08:49 PM
I hope you know that, you cannot use the manual lens on a AF body without changing the focusing screem. There is a focusing screem for the manual lens, without it, it will back focus and look out of focus.

hi I was wondering if the focussing screen for manual lenses was not made  to make focussing easier? I have two manual lenses for my ZD and I dont seem to have a focus problem. I dont have a manual focus screen and just use the infocus dot for focussing.
Thanks Ivan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72931\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can't speak for the ZD specifically but with the AFD the focussing screen only makes focussing easier since it has a split prism vs. matte.
Graham

Jack Varney

• http://
Mamiya 55-110 soft focus
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 04:44:07 pm »

"I hope you know that, you cannot use the manual lens on a AF body without changing the focusing screem. There is a focusing screem for the manual lens, without it, it will back focus and look out of focus. "

I believe this information to be inaccruate.  Mamiya (MAC Group) have advised me that there is no difference excepat for the screen texture and micrsprism which makes the "C" screen easier to focus manually.

I was advised that using the "C" screen with the AF lenses was OK. And, this is what I do.

If the standard screen caused the MF lenses to back focus then it is logical that the "C" screen would cause the AF lenses to front focus. My testing confirms that this is the case. The mounts are the same and Mamiya indicates that both AF and MF lenses will work regardless of which screen is used.
Jack Varney

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
Mamiya 55-110 soft focus
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 05:39:07 pm »

But the AFDII manual recommends changing the focussing screen to use manual lenses. And I found that my manual 150mm would not accurately focus on the camera so I bought the AF version.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

Jack Varney

• http://
Mamiya 55-110 soft focus
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 09:11:58 pm »

Free,

Not sure what the problem is but below, from the US Mamiya user forum, is a question and answer concerning which focus screens will work:

" Mdragoni - 06:20pm Sep 29, 2004 EST (3.)

Hi! I just bought a used manual focus 80mm macro to use with my 645AF...in the user manual, it says to first "mount the exclusive viewfinder screen #314474..." Is this really necessary? If so, why? And, if so, where the heck can I buy one? I can't find them anywhere online.

Thanks!

Michael

Danny Cirillo - 09:17am Sep 30, 2004 EST (4.)
Mamiya America Corporation
Michael: The microprism screen will make manual focusing easier, but it is not necessary. You may order it from any Mamiya dealer, it is catalog number 211-713. "

I do think there may be an issue regarding metering since with the "C" screen spot metering must be used. I meter mostly with a handheld and the histogram on the Phase One back so I haven't tested metering with the MF lenses and the two screens. I will though and report in a couple of weeks.
Jack Varney

Lester

Mamiya 55-110 soft focus
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 10:45:51 pm »

All I can say, is try a manual lens on your AFD camera. For me I do need the "C" screem for the manual lens to get it to focus at the focus point. These are my manual lens, that work for me with the "C" screem. 35mm, 45mm, 55mm, 80mm, 150mm, 200mm APO and 300mm APO. I do have a AFD with the "C" screem and a AFD II with the standard screem for the auto lenses.

I do test all my lenses by shooting at a 4' ruler at 24" wide open at 45 degree,  to see where the focus is at, at the closest focus point.  

Free,

Not sure what the problem is but below, from the US Mamiya user forum, is a question and answer concerning which focus screens will work:

" Mdragoni - 06:20pm Sep 29, 2004 EST (3.)

Hi! I just bought a used manual focus 80mm macro to use with my 645AF...in the user manual, it says to first "mount the exclusive viewfinder screen #314474..." Is this really necessary? If so, why? And, if so, where the heck can I buy one? I can't find them anywhere online.

Thanks!

Michael
Danny Cirillo - 09:17am Sep 30, 2004 EST (4.)
Mamiya America Corporation
Michael: The microprism screen will make manual focusing easier, but it is not necessary. You may order it from any Mamiya dealer, it is catalog number 211-713. "

I do think there may be an issue regarding metering since with the "C" screen spot metering must be used. I meter mostly with a handheld and the histogram on the Phase One back so I haven't tested metering with the MF lenses and the two screens. I will though and report in a couple of weeks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73020\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

afremiotti

• http://www.andreafremiotti.com, www.burnphoto.com
Mamiya 55-110 soft focus
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2006, 12:13:29 pm »

I am contacting my dealer to get a replacement lens, I'll let you know results when I get the new lens. thanks for the info.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Mamiya 55-110 soft focus
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2006, 02:38:57 pm »

I am contacting my dealer to get a replacement lens, I'll let you know results when I get the new lens. thanks for the info.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73151\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am choosing between the 55mm f2.8 and the 55-110 f4.5 for my ZD.  Did you get a replacement?  I have the 35mm, and 80mm primes but I feel the gap between them is too great.  55mm would be an ideal moderate wideangle, and the zoom of course means less lens changing, but I don't want to risk quality for conveninece.

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
Mamiya 55-110 soft focus
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2006, 03:35:49 pm »

I thought it delivered good results, I did however use it mostly at f8 & F11, on a ZD. I will look at my files again tomorrow and look for a shot that was done wide open. I also used the 45 2.8 prime, no problems there either.

-Nick

--------------------------------
http://www.stoqq.com
Nick Vasilopoulos

rljones

Mamiya 55-110 soft focus
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2006, 04:20:14 pm »

Quentin,

The AF 55/2.8 is excellent and does fit well between the 35 and 80 mm lenses. On the Leaf 65, it appears optimum by f5.6 (I see no significant improvement at f8 or f11 in terms of resolution).

On my AFDii, I've had no issues manually focusing an older 300/2.8 with a N-2x extender using the standard AF screen.

Regards,

Robert

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Mamiya 55-110 soft focus
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2006, 08:31:15 am »

Thanks for the replies.  The Mamiya primes seem just fine.  I'm edging towards the 55mm F2.8 at the moment.  I'm convinced I'll use it more than any other focal length.  The benefit of the zoom is less in framing, more in dust avoidance from frequently changing lenses.

Cheers

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

afremiotti

• http://www.andreafremiotti.com, www.burnphoto.com
Mamiya 55-110 soft focus
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2006, 09:23:07 pm »

I'm still waiting on a replacement lens. Response from Mamiya and my dealer has been terrible. Mamiya claims they won't swap out a defective lens even if it is brand new, without doing a full test on it at the factory. No telling how long that is going to be. My dealer still hasn't been able to get a loaner for me even though one was promised weeks ago. They claim it is because Mamiya has been so slow in delivering another zoom to them. My only suggestion is buy used, it will be half the price and the support will be the same regardless.

Lester

Mamiya 55-110 soft focus
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2006, 11:52:04 am »

Save some money and time, buy it on ebay. They are going around $650.00 in like new condition.

I'm still waiting on a replacement lens. Response from Mamiya and my dealer has been terrible. Mamiya claims they won't swap out a defective lens even if it is brand new, without doing a full test on it at the factory. No telling how long that is going to be. My dealer still hasn't been able to get a loaner for me even though one was promised weeks ago. They claim it is because Mamiya has been so slow in delivering another zoom to them. My only suggestion is buy used, it will be half the price and the support will be the same regardless.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79869\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up