Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What? No Film Forum?  (Read 13768 times)

image66

Re: What? No Film Forum?
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2017, 03:52:32 pm »

LOL. Oh, so you have an Olympus E-1 too?

Ken

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2017, 05:45:41 am »

Thing is, there's not really very much to say about film photography. Basically, it's very easy to do, and once you know the how, then you simply have to keep on doing it until it becomes second nature. At that point, you know what you're doing, and the interest lies in the doing, not chatting about it. A bit like the adult view on sex.

Digital, on the other hand, is purpose-made for the telling of tall, singles barroom tales. It's overflowing with sex gadgets and toys, and folks can compare, tweak and measurebate until the cows come home, and the kind manufacturers, considerate and altruistic madames that they be, are always there to offer a few new highs to excite the jaded taste buds. I won't even mention the naughty delights of digital pinters! My God, they get so big! And come in two main, €xciting flavours, too! I don't believe they do peppermint, though.

;-(

Rob

That's the point really isn't it.  I spent thousands of hours in the darkroom printing mainly mono but also quite a bit of colour in formats from 35mm to 5x4.  Film and darkroom working was a highly developed medium and almost everything that could be said or written about it had been.  Once you had learned the basic techniques it was just your own personal creative input that counted. 
Digital started as a new thing and there was lots to learn and the tech was changing constantly.  The tech is still changing, but honestly we are well-past the point where any changes are going to significantly improve the craft or quality of photography. In my opinion.
I loved working in the darkroom, and now hate sitting in front of a screen all day.  I also have fond memories of my first bicycle - all steel rims, cranks etc.  5 speed gears and quite heavy.  My newest bike (still ten years old) has a titanium frame, all lightweight components, carbon forks etc and is a dream to ride.  I could build/find an old 5-speed bike - but would I still enjoy riding it.

I did buy a new turntable recently though to play my old vinyl......

Jim

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2017, 08:27:16 am »

I searched here for a reference to Harvey Wang's From Darkroom to Daylight (Daylight Books, 2015) and did not find one.  It's a balanced, thought-provoking treatment of issues related to film vs. digital, seen through interviews with 40 photographers.  The opinions of the interviewees range across the spectrum.  The website http://www.darkroom2daylight.com provides more information.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:30:39 am by Jeffrey.Saldinger »
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

donbga

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2017, 08:55:41 am »

I searched here for a reference to Harvey Wang's From Darkroom to Daylight (Daylight Books, 2015) and did not find one.  It's a balanced, thought-provoking treatment of issues related to film vs. digital, seen through interviews with 40 photographers.  The opinions of the interviewees range across the spectrum.  The website http://www.darkroom2daylight.com provides more information.

The digital revolution is over with. The Czar is dead and his family has been shot. Viva la revolution!

And I just purchased another box of 4x5 film. :)

Film vs. digital. It doesn't matter anymore.

My 2 cents,

Don Bryant
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up