Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: GFX will have Capture One Support  (Read 9024 times)

Stephen Scharf

GFX will have Capture One Support
« on: February 16, 2017, 01:33:52 am »

Just reading Patrick LaRoque's blog today and he states that the Fuji GFX will have Capture One support.

This is also substantiated by a thread in GetDPI forums:
GFX and Capture One support

My guess is Fuji and/or Sony ponied up some bucks to make it happen, and presumably, if true, Phase One wisely decided not to turn down the revenue they could obtain from selling Capture One licenses for what could possibly be tens of thousands of GFX customers.

If true, excellent news. Capture One 10 is REALLY good. Now, if they could add support for Compressed X-Pro2 and X-T2 RAF files, we'd really be sitting pretty.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: GFX will have Capture One Support
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 02:15:27 am »

Is Fuji about to acquire P1? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:25:33 am by BernardLanguillier »

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 02:18:36 am »

Is Fuji about to aquire P1? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Funny you should ask, Bernard, that thought has crossed my mind as well. I would wager that money from Fuji was involved, just as it was for Sony when they obtained Phase One support.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 03:14:05 am »

Funny you should ask, Bernard, that thought has crossed my mind as well. I would wager that money from Fuji was involved, just as it was for Sony when they obtained Phase One support.

It would be interesting to know what's going on.

Judging from me, I have started to use LR-CC 2015.8 for my H6D-100c and I am impressed by the progress since I last tried. I may decide to stop renewing my C1 Pro licenses for my DSLRs.

I guess that many Fuji GFX users probably already use C1 Pro for their DSLR and odds are that they would probably go for LR as well if the GFX were not supported by C1 Pro.

So the impact for P1 would be double:
- non sale of P1 backs
- loss of C1 Pro revenue

I hope they realize the same will happen with X1D users.

Cheers,
Bernard

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 03:41:24 am »

It would be interesting to know what's going on.

Judging from me, I have started to use LR-CC 2015.8 for my H6D-100c and I am impressed by the progress since I last tried. I may decide to stop renewing my C1 Pro licenses for my DSLRs.

I guess that many Fuji GFX users probably already use C1 Pro for their DSLR and odds are that they would probably go for LR as well if the GFX were not supported by C1 Pro.

So the impact for P1 would be double:
- non sale of P1 backs
- loss of C1 Pro revenue

I hope they realize the same will happen with X1D users.

Cheers,
Bernard

I use a mix of both as I use Fuji X-cams, X-T1, X100T, and X-T2 (which is a helluva camera). For the majority of my work, I use LR but Iridient Developer as a LR plug-in for Fuji RAF demosaicing as I find it still to be superior to LR/ACR for proper sharpening as well as shadow/highlight recovery. For portfolio quality or where I want maximal image quality, I think Capture One 10 is really quite good.

I have to admit I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with Capture One; the basic app is really good, but Phase One has some annoying corporate behaviors that resemble passive-aggressiveness about how they constantly require re-registration for software updates (even for very minor X.0.1 upgrades), how they provide tech support, support for various cameras, the whole non-support for non-Phase One MF thang not withstanding. Until this announcement of support for the GFX, they seemed happy to cut their nose off to spite their face regarding turning down significant licensing revenue to force people to buy Phase One backs if they wanted C1 MF support. They still do not support compressed X-Pro2 and X-T2 files when Iridient, Luminar and LR can, and there are very limited C1-produced Fuji lens profiles as well. I am sure they do this with other camera makes, as well. I've also had a number of issues with earlier versions corrupting catalogs and losing access to my images and dealing with Capture One tech support in Denmark for this was completely exasperating and a major PITA. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:51:44 am by Stephen Scharf »

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 11:05:06 am »

With C1P support, now I just need a Phase/Mamiya mount adapter with electronic aperture control for the GFX and the GFX would become the backup to my XF system.  I hate not having a MF backup but rather having to use a 35mm camera with a separate lens set as a backup.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:08:59 am by E.J. Peiker »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 12:28:24 pm »

I am keeping my fingers crossed that this comes to pass, GFX and C1 what a marriage made in heaven. 

A Schneider LS P1 lens to Fuji GF mount would be nice too.   :) :)

And a F mount, can't forget that.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 06:44:35 pm »

This would be good news.  I like my a7rII, but I think I might be swayed to the GFX as my "smaller" camera for challenging hikes and backup system.  It seems a safe assumption that 75 or even 100mp is in the future, especially if these two new cameras impact MF sales volume like it appears they will, so it should get better as we go along.  Hopefully a 75mp+  back illuminated sensor is in the works at Sony.

Wonder if Fuji is considering doing what Sony did with C1 and make include it as "their" raw processor.  Not sure what software Fuji includes with their cameras for this.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 06:58:02 pm »

Wonder if Fuji is considering doing what Sony did with C1 and make include it as "their" raw processor.  Not sure what software Fuji includes with their cameras for this.

I believe they were shipping with a version of Silkypix due to X-Trans sensors oddities.

Cheers,
Bernard

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 08:01:56 pm »

Yes, a very very stripped down version of Silkypix is what Fuji ships with the camera.  The interface is similar to a program written to Windows 3.1, it's just that bad. 

Fuji would be moving greatly in a forward direction if they found a way to do what Sony did and have the C1 version made for them.  C1 currently has one of the best raw conversions for the X-trans files and since the GFX is NOT X-trans (thankfully) you could expect a very good conversion from P1 if they so choose.

What is interesting is the harsh fall out on this subject on other forums.  If P1 chooses to keep their head in the sand, that is their call, I am sure others like Iridient, ON-1, LR/ACR, and DxO will all eventually support the format.  It's also very possible that a exif hack might allow C1 to support the files anyway since everything is based on the same sensor.  Fuji claims that their version of the sensor has some differences however.

There are several professional photographers now claiming that that C1 will support the GFX, which means some discussions have taken place for sure, or I can't see them making such a claim.  I realize this would be a first for P1 however.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 10:41:08 pm »

Yes, things got pretty heated over at getDPI.  From what I've gathered ...

several sources/photographers are reporting GFX support by C1. However, from I can tell, all of them are based on this video, the applicable part occurs approximately 47 minutes in, where "someone" supposedly from Fuji stated it would.  The main presenter of the video states he is sure it will support it because it supports his other Fuji files, but I'm guessing he is unaware of Phase One's policy to not support other medium format cameras with C1.

As to the person who claims it will support it, I don't think anyone knows who he is, it is assumed he is from Fuji because the presenter poses the question to him.  But he could also be "uninformed", assuming C1 will support it because it's a Fuji camera and it supports all of the other Fuji cameras but he may very well also not be aware of Phase's policy to not support other MF systems.

So after reading all of this, watching the video, etc. personally I'm pretty skeptical at this point.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:03:19 pm by Wayne Fox »

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 01:22:25 am »

Yes, things got pretty heated over at getDPI.  From what I've gathered ...

several sources/photographers are reporting GFX support by C1. However, from I can tell, all of them are based on this video, the applicable part occurs approximately 47 minutes in, where "someone" supposedly from Fuji stated it would.  The main presenter of the video states he is sure it will support it because it supports his other Fuji files, but I'm guessing he is unaware of Phase One's policy to not support other medium format cameras with C1.

As to the person who claims it will support it, I don't think anyone knows who he is, it is assumed he is from Fuji because the presenter poses the question to him.  But he could also be "uninformed", assuming C1 will support it because it's a Fuji camera and it supports all of the other Fuji cameras but he may very well also not be aware of Phase's policy to not support other MF systems.

So after reading all of this, watching the video, etc. personally I'm pretty skeptical at this point.

The person at Gulf Photo Plus Dubai in Dubai who told Zach Arias that the GFX would have Capture One support in response to gerald.d's question was Francois Koumyoujian, Fujifilm Product Manager, Electronic Imaging Products, Fujifilm Middle East. Given that this information came directly from a Fujifilm GFX product manager, does lend it at least some level of veracity, I would think. I certainly hope it proves to be true, and would not be too surprised if it was. I've written to Fujifilm Middle East's FB page, where Mr. Koumyoujian works, to see if we can get a confirmation.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 02:07:21 am by Stephen Scharf »

elundqvist_photo

• Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 06:12:10 am »

I posted this one getDPI as well...

I just left a meeting with a Fujifilm UK representative where I had the chance to have a play with the GFX, and the last question I asked him was regarding Capture One.

Unfortunately, he said it is not true that Capture One will support the GFX RAW files, and the Fuji rep in Dubai should not have said this.

torger

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 10:02:27 am »

Capture One sells Phase One cameras, I think it's an very important factor in that people choose Phase One over the other alternatives.

In other words, supporting GFX or other medium format competitors would be a mistake. It's expensive to develop software as huge and complicated as C1, and you can't really make up for that by only selling to medium format users, you need lots more volume, ie selling to smaller format users, or sell super-expensive cameras that goes with it. Phase One does both.

I think they make more money getting the extra P1 camera sales than the extra software sales they would get for supporting GFX. To me it's just guessing, but to anyone at Phase One which has the numbers it's quite easy to calculate the business case.

That they would actually gain from supporting medium format competitors I think is wishful thinking from us users... maybe if some medium format model really goes up in volume, and I guess the trend is going towards that, but there's no hurry. They could wait and see how the MF market evolves.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:07:04 am by torger »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 10:17:38 am »

Should the subject have been handled differently, yes. If Fuji is working on a P1 C1 solution that is not been announced, that is the way it should have stayed. The camera is supposed to ship on the 1 of March. I have reservations on that, since currently no one is working yet with RAW files and we are real close to the 1st. It's also irresponsible of other photographers most likely under a NDA to mention "they" know C1 will be supported. It's up to Phase One to make that announcement or P1 and Fuji together.

It's a bit tragic if a marketing rep who has heard rumblings of a possible C1-GFX solution choose to go public. As that could have the adverse effect with P1. For sure, Fuji needs something in the way of software. Their current solution of using a dumbed down (very very dumbed down) version of Silkypix for the X-trans cameras is a joke. That is the worse piece of software I have used in years. Fuji has also been quite content to let Adobe keep using their less than ideal X-trans raw conversion. There has been plenty written on that. And that should have been the first thing that Fuji address years ago. So knowing that C1 has an excellent raw conversion for the X-trans, it's only makes sense that Fuji would attempt to work closer with P1 and C1 on the GFX, especially for the studio shooter when you consider the excellent tethering that C1 offers.

The camera is supposed to ship early March, odds are if C1 support is coming, we will all know by then. If C1 holds off, Oh Well, there will always be other software out there to use.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 10:20:43 am »

I guess I don't follow your logic completely or I'm not understanding your statement.  It would seem to me the question is does Phase One sell more cameras because people want to use C1.  My decision to buy a Phase camera had nothing to do with the software. 

hubell

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 11:26:02 am »

I guess I don't follow your logic completely or I'm not understanding your statement.  It would seem to me the question is does Phase One sell more cameras because people want to use C1.  My decision to buy a Phase camera had nothing to do with the software.

There are a lot of medium format photographers who feel very passionately about C1, and they absolutely would not buy a medium format system that wasn't supported by C1.

Joe Towner

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 12:04:58 pm »

A Schneider LS P1 lens to Fuji GF mount would be nice too.   :) :)

And a F mount, can't forget that.

Paul Caldwell

Done - https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/gfx  EF/Contax/M645/F/OM all to GFX
t: @PNWMF

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 12:16:20 pm »

Capture One sells Phase One cameras, I think it's an very important factor in that people choose Phase One over the other alternatives.

In other words, supporting GFX or other medium format competitors would be a mistake. It's expensive to develop software as huge and complicated as C1, and you can't really make up for that by only selling to medium format users, you need lots more volume, ie selling to smaller format users, or sell super-expensive cameras that goes with it. Phase One does both.

I think they make more money getting the extra P1 camera sales than the extra software sales they would get for supporting GFX. To me it's just guessing, but to anyone at Phase One which has the numbers it's quite easy to calculate the business case.

That they would actually gain from supporting medium format competitors I think is wishful thinking from us users... maybe if some medium format model really goes up in volume, and I guess the trend is going towards that, but there's no hurry. They could wait and see how the MF market evolves.

You're absolutely correct in everything you wrote.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

cyron123

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 01:45:23 pm »

Done - https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/gfx  EF/Contax/M645/F/OM all to GFX
Hello,
With M645 support does not mean Schneider LS support! LS needs the contacts, the electronic,...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up