Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: GFX will have Capture One Support  (Read 9019 times)

PhotoKratky

Re: GFX will have Capture One Support
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 03:29:59 am »

I was at the Fuji Roadshow in Vienna yesterday. One of the Fuji representatives said that, yes, Capture One would support RAW-files from the GFX. However, tethered shooting will only be possible through some kind of "intermediate software" from Fuji.

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 11:55:12 am »

I wrote to Fujilfiln Middle East (where Francois Koumyoujian, the Fujifilm Product Manager who answered Gerald Donovan's question about Capture One at GPP, works at Fujifilm Middle East), for a confirmation that Capture One would support GFX RAF files, and they wrote back and said, "Yes, we can confirm it."
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:59:40 am by Stephen Scharf »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 12:09:12 pm »

I wrote to Fujilfiln Middle East (where Francois Koumyoujian, the Fujifilm Product Manager who answered Gerald Donovan's question about Capture One at GPP, works at Fujifilm Middle East), for a confirmation that Capture One would support GFX RAF files, and they wrote back and said, "Yes, we can confirm it."

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for that. Now, if Phase One confirms it then I'll really believe it ...
It would probably also mean that there's more going on, behind the scenes.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 12:11:47 pm »

Then he needs to have Fuji to make a public announcement on this subject, period. And it needs to be done sooner than later, as a lot of damage has been done over the past few days.  I doubt it will get done, not anytime soon.  Fuji has handled this whole issue in a less than professional way which I have found a bit surprising based on their past product rollouts. 

One needs to remember, that if the camera does ship on 03/01/17, then raw support needs to be enabled, which currently it has not.  None of the beta tester  reports I have seen including the one from Dubai, were shooting raw.  And 03/01 is less than 2 weeks away, and if Fuji has not turned on raw support yet, I doubt they can get much testing done in the time frame, which also leads me to believe the camera will not be shipping until late March if then.  If all we are taking about is jegs or tifs from the GFX, then yup C1 supports those right now. 

No Dot release of LR handles the raw either, so Fuji might want to get on the stick pretty quickly.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 12:53:14 pm »

Then he needs to have Fuji to make a public announcement on this subject, period. And it needs to be done sooner than later, as a lot of damage has been done over the past few days.  I doubt it will get done, not anytime soon.  Fuji has handled this whole issue in a less than professional way which I have found a bit surprising based on their past product rollouts. 

One needs to remember, that if the camera does ship on 03/01/17, then raw support needs to be enabled, which currently it has not.  None of the beta teste reports I have seen including the one from Dubai, were shooting raw.  And 03/01 is less than 2 weeks away, and if Fuji has not turned on raw support yet, I doubt they can get much testing done in the time frame, which also leads me to believe the camera will not be shipping until late March if then. If all we are taking about is jegs or tifs from the GFX, then yup C1 supports those right now. 

No Dot release of LR handles the raw either, so Fuji might want to get on the stick pretty quickly.

Paul Caldwell

The reason that RAW support is not "enabled" yet is because cameras are not available for sale. When has any camera ever had RAW support before it's actually been released for sale?  With all due respect, there is virtually no data to support that RAW support is not enabled in actuality, just that photographers using pre-production prototypes are not allowed to export RAW files, which is not the same thing. Also, no one knows how much work has been done, or can by done, to "turn on" RAW support in a given unit time because none of us work there and have any data to know exactly their software development "cadence" is (they likely use a form of "agile" software/firmware development comprised of "scrums" and "sprints".)

Lastly, what "damage" has actually been done? Has any party legally been made "less that whole" by the discussion here?

My guess is that the GFX will have RAW support at launch through their version of SilkyPix. ACR/LR and hopefully, C1 Pro support will follow in due course.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:15:03 pm by Stephen Scharf »

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 01:02:39 pm »

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for that. Now, if Phase One confirms it then I'll really believe it ...
It would probably also mean that there's more going on, behind the scenes.

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Bart,
Yes, this is my thought as well. Probably a lot more...

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2017, 01:48:18 pm »

Let's look at this way. In the US the Oakland Raiders were going to move to Las Vegas until someone from the team made some discussions that upset the overall decision.

P1 may be taking to Fuji on this issue. But if P1 allows this support it will be the first time it's ever been done. By leaking this information out they way it's been done it's quite possible P1 may just drop it.

For sure the current P1 dealer network seems to believe it will not happen and I am sure they are also giving feedback to P1.

It should have been kept quiet until both sides were ready.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2017, 01:53:38 pm »

Btw. Most cameras I am aware of are testing raw files before release including Fuji. Nikon Canon Phase One all have tested raw before release. P1 issues beta versions of C1 to work with the files. Canon and Nikon both have had their own software to use in the past.  Hasselblad had LR support for raw months before the  X1D shipped.

Testing raw before release to me is very important.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

sandymc

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2017, 01:57:06 pm »

There are already raw converters available that will handle GFX raws in both compressed and uncompressed form - current versions of AccuRaw and PhotoRaw on the Mac and iOS respectively for one. Lightroom and Photoshop will certainly follow in their next release. Capture One is a different issue for the obvious reasons. Bear in mind, when I last checked, C1 still doesn't support X-Trans compressed raws. So Fuji is not high on the C1 priority list.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2017, 02:21:37 pm »

I hope and believe that C1 and LR CC 2017 will support the GFX when it comes out or in the first two weeks of it.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

algrove

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 09:58:35 pm »

There are already raw converters available that will handle GFX raws in both compressed and uncompressed form - current versions of AccuRaw and PhotoRaw on the Mac and iOS respectively for one. Lightroom and Photoshop will certainly follow in their next release. Capture One is a different issue for the obvious reasons. Bear in mind, when I last checked, C1 still doesn't support X-Trans compressed raws. So Fuji is not high on the C1 priority list.

I do not compress my XT2 RAWS and C1 supports those. IMHO C1 is not a software most use for compressed images.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2017, 03:48:45 am »

I do not compress my XT2 RAWS and C1 supports those.

You don't, others do. If a program claims to support a camera's raw format, it's valid to complain when it fails to do so.

This was P1 support's answer (case #232257). The link is my interpretation of their words.
Me: "Do you have any plans to support the compressed RAFs produced by the Fuji XT2?"
Support: "Yes, but I cannot say when unfortunately."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up