Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Hasselblad V/CF lenses on Sony A7R Mkii and exposure  (Read 4746 times)

wlemann

Using Hasselblad V/CF lenses on Sony A7R Mkii and exposure
« on: February 15, 2017, 07:33:18 pm »

I am using the FotoDiox adapter. I know there is no communication the lens and the camera.
I know I have to set the Sony menu to "release w/o lens". And to designate thr lens's focal length.  Focusing is fine-focus peaking works fine.

All of this pertains to Hasselblad CF lenses and and Sony A7R Mk ii used FotoDiox adapter.

One question relates to metering. If I stop down lens pre-exposure, does the in camera meter read in "M" mode?

Somewhere I read about shooting in "A" mode-what's that about?

When I change ISO what effect does that have on sensor.

Finally, what about external meter and setting things up using EV?

Walter

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Using Hasselblad V/CF lenses on Sony A7R Mkii and exposure
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 06:25:03 am »

Yes, the camera meter works fine in M mode when a lens is stopped down, just watch the histogram
I usually shoot in A mode, only M when doing long exposures at night.  Just set your aperture and the shutter speed will adjust to give you the exposure (ie what you've set on the +/- dial)
Not sure about your question about ISO.  Basically increasing ISO allows you to decrease exposure, but at the cost of noise and dynamic range.
I don't use an external meter, I've not found the on board meter wanting and I don't use flash.  Maybe others can comment here.

I use manual lenses more than any other, including 1 Hasselblad, but all of your questions and my responses above are the same for any manual lens used with a dumb adapter. I've used Sony Nex, A7R and A7RII.

Herbc

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:10:41 am »

I am using the FotoDiox adapter. I know there is no communication the lens and the camera.
I know I have to set the Sony menu to "release w/o lens". And to designate thr lens's focal length.  Focusing is fine-focus peaking works fine.

All of this pertains to Hasselblad CF lenses and and Sony A7R Mk ii used FotoDiox adapter.

Some of us use a minimum shutter speed, Aperture priority and Auto ISO with a limit.
While I usually do that, I am no geek and others can more properly fill in howto info.
The idea is that a good sensor has a lot of room for adjustment, and in my work, which is mostly outside, I don't run into noise problems with this scheme.

One question relates to metering. If I stop down lens pre-exposure, does the in camera meter read in "M" mode?

Somewhere I read about shooting in "A" mode-what's that about?

When I change ISO what effect does that have on sensor.

Finally, what about external meter and setting things up using EV?

Walter

wlemann

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 04:29:33 pm »

Dear Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I realize that some of my questions were poorly expressed.
1.  The Blad CF lenses have an internal shutter.  If that is closed, how does light get into the camera body?  By inference, how do you open it.
2. The lenses have a curved rocker on the side to stop down the lens, does this have to be used to stop down the lens?
3.  Do any settings on the lens have to be set? In what mode(s)?
4.  If I want to use an incident light meter in what mode would I make the settings.  Will those be on the lens or on the body?
5.  Is it better to shoot in A or S mode?  Why?
6.  What parts of the exposure components-f, time-does ISO adjustment effect.  Does it only change the shutter speed?  If so how does the aperture get either adjusted or set?
7.  You mentioned something about ExpComp----what does that influence in this scenario.
Thanks in

wlemann

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 04:33:56 pm »

Already see a poorly worded question; what I meant to say is:

If one has to stop down the lens for metering, do you use the side button on the lens.  Is that only an issue in "M"?

Walter

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 07:14:37 pm »

Dear Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I realize that some of my questions were poorly expressed.
1.  The Blad CF lenses have an internal shutter.  If that is closed, how does light get into the camera body?  By inference, how do you open it.
2. The lenses have a curved rocker on the side to stop down the lens, does this have to be used to stop down the lens?
4.  If I want to use an incident light meter in what mode would I make the settings.  Will those be on the lens or on the body?
6.  What parts of the exposure components-f, time-does ISO adjustment effect.  Does it only change the shutter speed?  If so how does the aperture get either adjusted or set?
7.  You mentioned something about ExpComp----what does that influence in this scenario.
Thanks in
Hi Walter,
1.  Sorry, the 'blad lens I have is a C lens, no shutter I think so I can't help in some of your lens specific questions.  Bronica lenses I've used that have shutters remain normally open so I just ignore them and use the camera focal plane shutter.  If the CF shutter is normally closed I don't know how to open it.  It's usually up to the maker of the adapter to add a key on the lens mount side to interlock with the lens to open the shutter.
5.  As I mentioned above I use A mode so that I can set my focus and exposure WO or close to WO, focus, close down the aperture (If I want to) and let the camera manage the shutter speed.  Many people use M mode though and I do occasionally.
6.  ISO increase in effect just makes the sensor more sensitive (by amplification), for example if you increase the ISO from 100 to 400 you gain 2 stops.  You can use this to close down the aperture by 2 stops to get better DOF, or decrease the shutter speed by 4x to hand hold or freeze motion better, or split it for a combination.  In manual lenses the aperture is changed by the aperture ring as the camera cannot interface with it (or know the value, it just knows there is more or less llight coming in as the aperture is changed).
7. On the A7 series cameras there's an exposure comp wheel that allows you to adjust  exposure by up to + or - 3 stops.  So if you want to increase the exposure by 1 stop, just set it to +1 (or 1 higher than where it is).  If you're in A mode then the shutter speed will drop in 1/2 to allow more light in.  If you want/need to keep the shutter speed where it is then you'd have to open the aperture by a stop to maintain the same shutter speed.

TimoK

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 01:27:40 pm »

Dear Mike,
Thanks in

1. Yes, you have to open the shutter. Look this
2. Yes.

jmlphotography

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 07:14:04 pm »

I am probably missing something but I went to that video and based on the exchange quoted below, came to the opposite conclusion, that you don't have to open the lens because it is always open prior to taking the picture:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from comment:
Jay John1 year ago

Very informative video. many thanks !!!!!
How do you leave the shutter open if you are using the lens with an adapter on Nikon/Canon DSLR, especially the older  C only lenses ?
I saw in your other video that the CF lenses have a shutter lock F button.

Mike Thomas1 year ago

+Jay John I have yet to adapt a Hasselblad lens to my Sony, but I assume the shutter will just stay open regardless.  It's open when the lens it taken off the camera.  The Hasselblad is an SLR system, so the shutter has to be open to focus and compose, at least when the film is wound and the mirror dropped.  Recall that a Hasselblad has an auxiliary shutter in front of the film plane, so it's OK for the lens' shutter to stay open.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My apologies if I just misinterpreted something.

TimoK

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 11:53:32 pm »

Maybe I misunderstood something but the question was
If the shutter is already open you have not to open it. You don't use lenses shutter with Sony.
It's possible accidentaly release shutter. Then you need screw driver.

jemadsen

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 08:24:56 am »

Hi

Following all this interesting stuff I have an additional question:

What is the focal length conversion factor when using Hasselblad (6 x 6 cm. format) on The Sony A7R2 (35 mm full frame, 24 x 36 mm).

Using only the sweet spot (center) of a CF Planar 100 mm on a 42 MPXL sensor must be a dream. That is, of course, if the adapter is up to the job of keeping the lens in correct place.

I know of Fotodiox and Novoflex adapters to do this, with the latter the expensive choice, but are there other options ??

Regards
Johannes
Regards
Johannes Elkjaer Madsen

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 06:23:39 am »

Maybe I misunderstood something but the question wasIf the shutter is already open you have not to open it. You don't use lenses shutter with Sony.
It's possible accidentaly release shutter. Then you need screw driver.
Yes, I just found that my 100/3.5 CF has a shutter ::) I never knew because I bought it to use on a Sony, never having a Hasselblad, and it was already cocked.  Thanks for posting the link to the UT video though as I now know how to recock it if it ever gets fired accidentally (I tried to fire it but for some reason the pin will not depress to fire the shutter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up