Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ON1 raw converter for Fuji X trans  (Read 3199 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
ON1 raw converter for Fuji X trans
« on: February 15, 2017, 04:23:42 pm »

If you have not tried the new ON1 raw software for Fuji X-trans, it's worth a look.  Very nice conversion on the finer stuff and their brush tool is very unique in the adjustment brush area.

Conversion appears as nice as Iridient for the finer details and ON1 has a nice tool set, IMO not as intuitive as LR or C1 but again the results are impressive.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

MBehrens

Re: ON1 raw converter for Fuji X trans
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 11:46:02 pm »

Thomas Fitzgerald isn't so enamored with it.

http://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotography.com/blog/2017/2/onone-raw-improves-x-trans-support-sort-of

I'm not very familiar with Thomas' posts, not sure if he is hyper-critical or generally curmudgeonly. Maybe it is an accurate assessment. IDK

- Morey

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 07:58:31 am »

I've been following Thomas for a few months and he seems like a straight up kinda guy.  I'm only interested in his work on Fuji X-Series cameras though.  His  eBooks and videos have been helpful for me.
Regards,
Ron

sc_john

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 10:23:37 am »

I've been following Thomas for a few months and he seems like a straight up kinda guy.  I'm only interested in his work on Fuji X-Series cameras though.  His  eBooks and videos have been helpful for me.

+1

John

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 10:30:05 am »

I agree Thomas makes good points. But I prefer to try the software myself.  The X-Trans raw has to be one of the most frustrating formats to democaic that I have ever worked with.  I have been using the new Iridient conversion that takes the RAF to DNG then opening the dng's in LR.  The ON1 option is just another way to work.   They give you a free 30 day trial full function, so it's worth looking at IMO.  The ON1 interface is strange if anything, but the conversion that it can make on the X-trans is impressive at least for me.  Takes a bit of time to figure out the best settings.

It's very close to Iridient's but ON1 has a much better tool set i.e. adjustment layers, ND filters etc.

Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 06:30:16 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 04:39:51 pm »

I'm glad ON1 is working well for you, Paul.

I don't do much editing myself in Iridient Developer.  I basically roundtrip from Lr and do a basic conversion in ID preferring to do my post processing in Lr or PS. 
Regards,
Ron

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 04:51:32 pm »

I have it and I have not downloaded the version released this week which is supposed to solve a lot of issues. So I am looking forward to trying it this weekend. For me the earlier versions had not so good highlight recovery the new version is supposed to be better and they state they optimized the fuji raw conversion so there is a good reason to try it out with the new release.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

AnthonyM

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 06:08:02 am »

I am trialling the latest version of ON1.  My initial reaction is that the conversion of RAFs is good, but I need to do some more work to confirm this.  The workflow feels a bit strange, but that is probably unfamiliarity.  I have not yet seen the effect which Thomas Fitzgerald criticises.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 07:01:53 am »

The biggest problem I have with the On1 workflow is the export process, not very straightforward at least to me.  The zipper artifacts  I did not see, but I need to shoot a subject with that type of transition.  What is so interesting to me is the brush that ON1 has for creating the adjustments they call it the "perfect" brush, works similar to the auto mask in LR.  Perfect brush is one version of the brush you can select. 

Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:08:39 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up