Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing on Thin Papers  (Read 1005 times)

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
Printing on Thin Papers
« on: February 15, 2017, 01:25:16 pm »

I have a sample pack of the Moab Moenkopi Sampler which includes 2 sheets of Unryu paper. I like the look of this paper, but at 55 gms it is much too light to feed directly into my Epson 3880. I have read of people taping it to a heavier sheet of "carrier paper", or using a non-permanent spray adhesive to fasten it to a heavier sheet of paper, but I'm reluctant to experiment without a bit more information. Scrunching up some paper inside my printer would probably be a really bad thing to do to it.

I wonder if anyone here who has done this successfully could share some details about what worked for them. Do they fasten 3 sides down or is just fastening the leading edge sufficient? Should the leading edges be aligned or leave a "leader" of the heavier paper exposed? Should the tape fold over the leading edge onto the back of the heavier paper? I guess these are also issues for printing on deckle-edged papers. Anyway, what has worked best for you?
Jay W Page

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Printing on Thin Papers
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 02:05:10 pm »

Jay, I'm in the process of writing up a review of this paper and a number of others. Not too sure when it will be finished and published, but I have been feeding both the Unryu and the Kozo through an Epson SCP800 and Canon Pro-1000 with no special arrangements - just using the top sheet feeders for both printers and it ingests them without issues. The Unryu bends over the front somewhat, but this doesn't prevent it from feeding evenly provided I position them straight in the feeders.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:14:55 pm by Mark D Segal »
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

disneytoy

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 02:28:11 pm »

Hey Mark,

Will love to see your review. I saw some nice print on rice paper at the LA Artshow and would like to try some. I'm actually interested in a thicker white paper with a nice texture.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 04:17:01 pm »

Hey Mark,

Will love to see your review. I saw some nice print on rice paper at the LA Artshow and would like to try some. I'm actually interested in a thicker white paper with a nice texture.

Thanks.

The Unryu, Kozo and Hahn Bamboo are all somewhat yellowish. If you want a matte thicker white paper, one of the German Etching style papers from Hahn or Epson may be right for you.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 07:38:33 pm »

Thanks Mark, I'm looking forward to your review.
Jay W Page
Pages: [1]   Go Up