Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RawTherapee 5.0: only sRGB on Mac OS  (Read 3747 times)

peterwgallagher

RawTherapee 5.0: only sRGB on Mac OS
« on: February 14, 2017, 05:32:50 pm »

Always interested in trying out something new -- especially from independent developers & enthusiasts. But... (from RawPedia on the Color Preferences):

"On Mac OS X all displayed colors will be in sRGB space, and then, if necessary, converted by the native OS X color pipeline to match the screen calibration, if any. This means that you cannot choose a monitor color profile on OS X. Colors will be displayed correctly, even over multiple screens, but if you have a wide-gamut screen RawTherapee's displayed colors will still be limited to sRGB. This will however not affect output, i.e. you can still produce images with colors outside the sRGB space."

What a pity. At that point, all the elaborate de-mosaicing, exposure, tone and color management tools become (mostly) useless.

speedyk

Re: RawTherapee 5.0: only sRGB on Mac OS
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 08:21:56 pm »

The downside of open source software. People work on what they want to, some stuff is a PITA so it gets neglected.

habibm

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 02:44:07 am »

Always interested in trying out something new -- especially from independent developers & enthusiasts. But... (from RawPedia on the Color Preferences):

"On Mac OS X all displayed colors will be in sRGB space, and then, if necessary, converted by the native OS X color pipeline to match the screen calibration, if any. This means that you cannot choose a monitor color profile on OS X. Colors will be displayed correctly, even over multiple screens, but if you have a wide-gamut screen RawTherapee's displayed colors will still be limited to sRGB. This will however not affect output, i.e. you can still produce images with colors outside the sRGB space."

What a pity. At that point, all the elaborate de-mosaicing, exposure, tone and color management tools become (mostly) useless.

What a pity ! I was enthusiatic about all the features of this raw converter (which I tried for the first time) until I try to change the display ICC profile  :-\

torger

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 03:07:14 pm »

If I remember correctly this is a GTK problem (the cross-platform GUI toolkit) rather than RawTherapee. There simply is no way to render anything other than sRGB on Mac using GTK :-\. On Windows and Linux it works as it should. QT (another cross-platform GUI toolkit) doesn't have this problem.

Windows and Linux has been the prioritized platforms for RT, in fact I don't think any developer ever had a Mac. For a while I did the Mac builds, still making all development on Linux. The sRGB problem with GTK was discovered in a late stage, and you can't really rip out the whole GUI toolkit just like that... set it's pretty much a dead end, unless the GTK project fixes it. If you don't actually have a wide gamut screen, or rather don't use wide gamut output in your images it's not a problem though, and that's actually a quite common use case.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:51:29 am by torger »
Pages: [1]   Go Up