Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson truthful 'out of ink' message?  (Read 2383 times)

afterimages

Epson truthful 'out of ink' message?
« on: February 14, 2017, 08:31:46 am »

I am considering an Epson higher end Expression All-in-One to replace my Canon MG8220. Numerous reviews mention that the printer refuses to print when it determines a cartridge is empty. The question is: Is the message reliable, or is Epson seeking premature ink sales? If the empty status is not accurate, I don't want the printer. The Canon gives cartridge messages, of course, but one can keep printing - in most cases for a long time!

Can any one share his experience with this class of Epson's? Model 860 and 960, I believe. Thanks...

rick

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Re: Epson truthful 'out of ink' message?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 10:29:26 am »

Does it really matter? If you pay for 80ml, but for technical reasons the cartridge is sold with 100ml of which 20 ml remains unused, why is that a problem?
Of course checking that you get to use the amount written on the label may not be obvious...

afterimages

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 11:00:50 am »

Well, gee, does Epson routinely OVERfill their cartridges?

graeme

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 01:15:08 pm »

Well, gee, does Epson routinely OVERfill their cartridges?

Because the print heads would be ruined if you tried to print while one of the channels was completely drained of ink?

mbaginy

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 01:31:57 pm »

Rick, my Epson 3880 will warn of a low ink level quite a while before the cartridge is actually empty.  That usually gives me time to purchase a refill.  But I don't actually exchange for a new cartridge until the printer stops printing and requires a new cartridge.  Even in the middle of a print, I haven't found that a problem (yet).  And the removed cartridge truly seems empty.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 03:42:16 pm »

Rick, my Epson 3880 will warn of a low ink level quite a while before the cartridge is actually empty.  That usually gives me time to purchase a refill.  But I don't actually exchange for a new cartridge until the printer stops printing and requires a new cartridge.  Even in the middle of a print, I haven't found that a problem (yet).  And the removed cartridge truly seems empty.
+1 on what he said.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

tonyrom

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 05:55:11 pm »

The Epson tech that had to do a service on a different printer told be to replace the cartridge when the printer can no longer print.  This is way after the warning. 

The warning is an indicator for me to go buy a replacement so I have it when it finally stops printing.

-tony

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 09:10:23 pm »

there is quite a bit of discussion regarding the amount of ink in Epson cartridges, especially because there seems to be some left even after the printer refuses to print. 

Several years ago I faithfully kept track of ink usage when printing an order of large prints on my 9900.  I started with a fresh 150ml LK cartridge, and every 9 prints I would print out a job report which listed each print that was printed and the amount of ink by color accurate to the 1/100 of a ml.  I kept all the sheets and when I had to change the LK ink cartridge a couple of weeks later, I went back through and added them up. The total was 153 ml.  I didn't have to do any cleans during that time, and don't even think I turned the printer off, so I think it was a decently accurate test.

There was still a slight amount of ink in the cartridge ( I cut it open, but had no way to measure how much was actually in it, but it was more than I thought).

Not particularly scientific, but it does seem there is allowance for extra ink to make sure you don't run the head dry and get the full amount of ink you pay for.

unesco

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 08:06:16 am »

Does it really matter? If you pay for 80ml, but for technical reasons the cartridge is sold with 100ml of which 20 ml remains unused, why is that a problem?
Of course checking that you get to use the amount written on the label may not be obvious...

Epson 80ml ink carts have effective amount of ink equal to ~65 ml when a printer stops and requires a new cart. Checked on number of cartriges for 3880 and P800. :-(

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 10:29:05 am »

Epson 80ml ink carts have effective amount of ink equal to ~65 ml when a printer stops and requires a new cart. Checked on number of cartriges for 3880 and P800. :-(
That was determined how?  By how much was left in the cartridge?  Is that assuming there was 80ml to start?

unesco

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 12:32:21 pm »

Each cartridge weighted at the beginning and at the end, difference in "g" multiplied by 1.08 g/ml to achieve result in "ml".
I do not know how much was left or was at the start, I don't care. I am interested of how much is usable.
I talk about the 80 ml carts, not 64 ml starters.

disneytoy

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 02:33:53 pm »

I've learned not to be to concernedbout the ml of cartridges. For anyone that did color printing prior to inkjet printers, the convience and quality out way any ink usage. I found a bunch of 8x11" color prints from 2002. The color and grain were sh!T. You could do better today on the cheapest 4 color printer.

I'm still amazed Everytime a 44" wide print inches out of my 9890. And I go through 350ml and even 700ml cartridges.

JeffS

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 04:22:49 pm »

Jon Cone has tested this and uses it as marketing for his 3rd party continuous ink system (color and b/w) compared to Epson cartridges.

Jeff

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 10:46:01 am »

Can any one share his experience with this class of Epson's? Model 860 and 960, I believe. Thanks...

rick

I demonstrated with photos how much ink is left in the yellow cartridge of a $50 Epson "All In One" after I get the first warning here...

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=74896.msg597468#msg597468

Just be sure to read the replies afterward because it brings into question that there are some models of expensive printers that will just stop in the middle of a print run like say poster size and let you replace the cartridge and continue on with no gaps or artifacts in the print. My Epson "All In One" does not allow this. It just stops you from even starting the print. Both ways of mitigating this issue indicate there is adequate intelligence engineered into Epson printers regardless of the cost of the model.

All in all you're going to pay for the ink one way or the other so take the advice from others in this thread.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 11:06:15 am by Tim Lookingbill »
Pages: [1]   Go Up