Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Palouse guide recommendations?  (Read 2328 times)

DickKenny

• Dick Kenny at The Chantry Studio
Palouse guide recommendations?
« on: February 14, 2017, 05:20:55 am »

I have to visit Washington State (from England) mid-year, and have a fancy to spend three or four days on the eastern side of the mountains. As my time is very limited, i'd be very interested to hear solid recommendations for anyone offering a professional guide service. Personal experience always a help. Thanks for your interest. Cordially,

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: Palouse guide recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 06:10:48 am »

PM me and the dates you are thinking.  Based on dates I have a few suggestions.  Too bad you couldn't have joined my private 4 day workshop there.  Announced and sold out in hours.  I do know people but the dates will determine if they can help you.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

msoomro

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 11:40:37 pm »

I have been visiting that region for 4-5 years now. Two of my images won international competitions. In my view one does not need a tour guide or workshop to get great imagery in the Palouse region. I'd advice call Palouse Chamber Of Commerce. They have some very good recommendations in published form. You can also visit them in person to get maps and photographic guidance. If you are looking for off the beaten path, best I would recommend is to drive on the various farm roads and seek out compositions. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 11:47:01 pm by msoomro »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 10:20:51 am »

I agree. You don't need a guide. Three or four days footloose in the Palouse with your own Rent-A-Car and Google Maps is more than adequate. The area is rich with possibility, especially in Spring.  Weather will be your prime determinant. Pullman, WA is an excellent base.

neile@live.com

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 12:59:49 am »

What time of year exactly? I'll be in that part of Washington the first week of June with some friends, you're welcome to tag along.

As others have said you really don't need a guide. Book a room at the Best Western in Colfax, WA. Grab the local chamber of commerce map for photographers from the hotel front desk. Mark the hotel in your GPS, and head off into the hills until you see something neat.

Steptoe Butte is the classic place to go for a sunset, and is absolutely worth one evening. Other than that though, just drive around the back roads.

Neil

muralin

• Murali's Website
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 11:38:07 am »

I agree with others - no need to spend $ for a guide if are comfortable driving on the right side of the road and don't care for companionship with other photo enthusiasts. I maintain a database of landscape photography POIs in the Pacific Northwest (WA, OR, ID, and BC (Canada)). WA and OR POI sets are comprehensive. You can access them at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aGZk9l3QmXjtiAhExcYn9RqV8BI&usp=sharing. You should be able to download it on your phone using POI Viewer app that I highly recommend. You can select a spot on the app and then navigate. It will open up Google Maps, Navigon etc for navigation. Have fun. Welcome to the Pacific Northwest.

Also checkout http://pullmanchamber.com/visit-pullman/things-to-do-in-pullman/photography/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 06:58:45 pm by muralin »
Murali
https://www.muralipix.com (Photography trips blog with pictures & location info)
Pages: [1]   Go Up