Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Legacy Print Dialog  (Read 3881 times)

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
Epson Legacy Print Dialog
« on: February 13, 2017, 12:15:20 pm »

Hello everyone. My apologies if this has been addressed. I just recently found Epson Legacy profiles, however, the paper isn't listed in the print dialog box. Does anyone know if it should be? Update driver perhaps? I'm using the Epson SC P-7000. Thanks for the guidance! To my knowledge, the profiles weren't available until very recently. Strange.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson Legacy Print Dialog
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 12:35:29 pm »

Yes, do update the driver to the latest version - they are most likely embedded there by now.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

tonyrom

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 05:14:49 pm »

Looks like the driver is still from last year which doesn't have this papers listed.  For the PK paper, (Platine/Baryta) use Premium Photo Lust(260) and for the MK (Etching/Fibre) use the Watercolor setting.

I am not at my machine but this should be enough of a clue.  Feel free to ping me.

-tony

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 05:38:07 pm »

I just unpacked the latest driver version on Epson's website and you are correct; this is surprising.

Using those media types may be an approximation, but certainly less than ideal. These papers should be there own media type. These papers have differing characteristics from the stated Media Types.

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 05:42:58 pm »

Thanks Tony and Mark. It's a strange scenario, Epson releasing specialized papers with no settings and, in the beginning at least, no ICC Profiles. But I've been using Luster 260 for the Baryta and Platine. I do really like the Fibre Paper as well but I've really steered away from Matte these days. I will touch base with you guys over the coming weeks. Hopefully Epson will work this out soon!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 06:00:18 pm »

You may wish to call their tech support and ask about it - especially as these papers have been available as Media Types in the P800 driver for quite some time now. But don't use those - the ink sets are different.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 06:14:01 pm »

Thanks Tony and Mark. It's a strange scenario, Epson releasing specialized papers with no settings and, in the beginning at least, no ICC Profiles. But I've been using Luster 260 for the Baryta and Platine. I do really like the Fibre Paper as well but I've really steered away from Matte these days. I will touch base with you guys over the coming weeks. Hopefully Epson will work this out soon!

It seems to be printer-dependent. I see the settings in the 4900 driver and the profiles were installed by the driver installation software, but neither in the 9800 case.

Jim

tonyrom

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 10:49:00 pm »

w.r.t to Matte printing.  I did some printing on the 7000 using the Fibre and I think they came out fabulous.  I too, was not a fan of matte printing until I experimented with the new papers and inks.  The blacks look fantastic and the color is rich all this coupled with the slight softness making the photo look rich.  Words are hard to describe it, if you think you have a photo that warrants a creamy aura, try the Fibre, either the Canson or the Epson.

best of luck!

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 10:54:00 pm »

Using those media types may be an approximation, but certainly less than ideal. These papers should be there own media type. These papers have differing characteristics from the stated Media Types.
The key is what paper type Epson  used when creating the profiles - which they don't seem to state anywhere..  All of the other settings can be controlled in the driver, but the paper type also determines the ink load.  I would assume either Epson Luster or Exhibition Fiber would be the logical settings, but it would be nice if Epson provided that information.

At this point the profiles still seem to be a separate install for the p9000, and the media type presets are not included.
With roll Legacy Baryta on a p9000 I made my own profile using the Epson Premium luster (260), but set the paper thickness at 6, the platen gap at wider, and set the Roll Paper Back Tension at high.  Like most of these papers it is difficult to get roll paper through the printer without head strikes or other surface damage. this combination seems to work reliably.  I have switched from Exhibition Fiber to Legacy baryta. I like the surface texture of the EEF a little better, but like the lower OBA content of the Baryta. I tried the Platine as well, but prefer the sheen of the Baryta.

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 11:46:41 pm »

Thanks everyone. I'm going to load the new driver and see if my problem is solved. I haven't yet had the opportunity. It really is a wonderful set of paper that Epson introduced, so I want to check all the boxes and make sure I'm getting the best possible print (as I know we all do).

Tony, I rarely print on matte because of handling issues. I was using Canson Rag Photographique and loved it. But, if you looked at it the wrong way it'd smudge and smear. Not a problem for one or two prints, but I often print 20+ at a time. Granted, I haven't put the Epson Fibre through the stress test yet. Maybe it'll hold up much better. I really did love the quality of it on my small samples.

datro

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 09:55:34 am »

The key is what paper type Epson  used when creating the profiles . . .

When I downloaded the Legacy Profiles installation file from the Epson support web site for my P9000, I'm pretty sure it contained PDFs for each of the profiles indicating all the important parameters used when the profiles were created.  In any case, I have the PDFs here and listed below are some of the parameters as shown in these documents:

Epson Legacy Fibre:
Media:  Watercolor Paper - Radiant White
Output Resolution:  2880 x 1440 dpi
High Speed:  On
Advanced Media Controls:  All defaults
Dmax:  1.6556
Gamut Volume:  585,382

Epson Legacy Platine
Media:  Premium Luster 260
Advanced Media Controls:  All defaults
Dmax:  2.6021
Gamut Volume:  969,489

Epson Legacy Baryta
Media:  Premium Luster 260
Advanced Media Controls:  All Defaults
Dmax:  2.585
Gamut Volume:  938,412

Epson Legacy Etching
Media:  Watercolor Paper - Radiant White
Advanced Media Controls:  All Defaults
Dmax:  1.6595
Gamut Volume:  574,171

All profiles are v2 icc files.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 08:58:11 pm »

Thanks Dave.

Unbeknownst to me, the installer did place a folder on my desktop called "SC-P9000_P7000_Series_LLK Legacy Profile Instructions", and inside were the PDF documents you mentioned.  The installer does not alert you to the fact, nor is it mentioned anywhere on Epson's website that these instructional PDF's are included.

Good to know that the intended media type for the profile is Epson Premium Luster so the correct ink load will be used.  According to the specs, even the paper thickness should still work (Premium luster is a 10mil or @2.6mm paper, where as Baryta is a 12 mil or @3mm thick paper, and the Epson Premium Luster sets the paper thickness at 3mm).  For sheets perhaps this will work, but the paper is pretty stiff so for rolls there will be issues if some adjustments aren't made, as the even the vacuum of the p9000 can't keep the paper flat enough through the printer to avoid head strikes etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up