Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon cancels DL series of compacts  (Read 13802 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Nikon cancels DL series of compacts
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2017, 08:20:45 pm »

Glass half full analysis of the situation. From what I see, Nikon has nothing new to show...and that's good?

I'd rather have Nikon work on something interesting instead of releasing their version of a 5DmkIV.

Whether they are is anybody's guess, but at least there is still hope while Canon users pretty much know that they will stay still for another 3 years in that segment... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:25:49 pm by BernardLanguillier »

hogloff

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2017, 09:52:15 pm »

I'd rather have Nikon work on something interesting instead of releasing their version of a 5DmkIV.

Whether they are is anybody's guess, but at least there is still hope while Canon users pretty much know that they will stay still for another 3 years in that segment... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Yeh...something interesting like another DSLR...ho...hum.

At least Canon is dipping their toe into the mirrorless market which I truly believe 10 years from now will be dominant.

Personally, I've been using Sony for the last 2 years and am very happy with their directions.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2017, 02:14:46 am »

Yeh...something interesting like another DSLR...ho...hum.

No, that's exactly the point I am trying to make here. If Nikon were working on a new iteration of DSLRs we would have seen it/them already.

Cheers,
Bernard

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2017, 04:45:33 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

Ah, that means that Canon's cameras are so good, they do not need to be replaced every 1 or 2 years:)

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2017, 06:55:38 am »

Ah, that means that Canon's cameras are so good, they do not need to be replaced every 1 or 2 years:)

Let's see how long the 5Ds lasts... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2017, 08:51:15 am »

As a matter of interest, why do people care a damn about the cameras that other people use? What difference does it make to their own images? Surely, by now, what with the Internet allowing one to see images from everyone everywhere, you'd be forgiven for imagining people would know that brand has precious little to do with the quality of photography, something which has everything to do with the photographer.

Rob C

hogloff

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2017, 09:19:26 am »

No, that's exactly the point I am trying to make here. If Nikon were working on a new iteration of DSLRs we would have seen it/them already.

Cheers,
Bernard

Maybe they were busy working on the DL. :o

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2017, 10:29:28 am »

Let's see how long the 5Ds lasts... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

2 years and counting:) I would expect such a specialized camera series to last for at least 5 years. Especially given all the recent MKII and MKIII lenses upgrades across the L series to mate with that sensor.

JMCP

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2017, 12:01:40 pm »

As a matter of interest, why do people care a damn about the cameras that other people use? What difference does it make to their own images? Surely, by now, what with the Internet allowing one to see images from everyone everywhere, you'd be forgiven for imagining people would know that brand has precious little to do with the quality of photography, something which has everything to do with the photographer.

Rob C

Suspect it is not that they care what cameras other people are using but that they have a financial interest in their chosen brand by investing heavily in lenses or shares or both and panicking that they may have a heavily depreciating investment if their brand loses market share.

hogloff

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2017, 12:57:43 pm »

Rob C

Why do people give a damn that people give a damn about the cameras that other people use?

Rob C

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2017, 04:52:03 pm »

Why do people give a damn that people give a damn about the cameras that other people use?

Because it mystifies 'em; they would like to understand.

Rob C

hogloff

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2017, 05:19:54 pm »

Because it mystifies 'em; they would like to understand.

Rob C

Some things are best left not to be understood. Like why is the moon made of cheese?

Rob C

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2017, 04:40:48 am »

Some things are best left not to be understood. Like why is the moon made of cheese?

Not fair: you're invoking rocket science.

Rob

NancyP

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2017, 01:38:23 pm »

RobC - one reason a person might be interested in the continuing existence of a camera brand is the availability of manufacturer support and repair for existing cameras owned.

Rob C

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2017, 04:40:21 am »

RobC - one reason a person might be interested in the continuing existence of a camera brand is the availability of manufacturer support and repair for existing cameras owned.

Indeed, and as a Nikon user, count me in there in a serious way, especially now!

However, Nanacy, that is a separate thing, and has not a lot to do with the question I posed:

"As a matter of interest, why do people care a damn about the cameras that other people use? What difference does it make to their own images? Surely, by now, what with the Internet allowing one to see images from everyone everywhere, you'd be forgiven for imagining people would know that brand has precious little to do with the quality of photography, something which has everything to do with the photographer.

Rob C"

My point is about interest in the camera brands other people use, and why that should concern anyone else.

I was trying to point out that cameras don't make photographs, that that's the job for photographers, regardless of whether they worship at the shrines of Nikon, Canon, Leica or anyone else.

Rob

Colorado David

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2017, 11:41:25 am »

My point is about interest in the camera brands other people use, and why that should concern anyone else.

I was trying to point out that cameras don't make photographs, that that's the job for photographers, regardless of whether they worship at the shrines of Nikon, Canon, Leica or anyone else.

Rob

Just as cars are safer now than they were in the 1950s, so camera equipment is better. People were still the ones driving cars and taking photographs then just as we are today. The fact that people are the single greatest factor in the making of a great image, you cannot completely remove the quality of equipment from the equation. I am interested in the gear others use for the very selfish reason that I want there to continue to be competition that leads to innovation. That may or may not be why others are interested. Certainly some people are simply brand fans. For me, I feel like we are diminished when we lose a competitive, innovative equipment manufacturer. I want continued support for the equipment I own and want there to continue to be an atmosphere of competition.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up