Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon: Notice of Recognition of Extraordinary Loss  (Read 3763 times)

dreed

Nikon: Notice of Recognition of Extraordinary Loss
« on: February 13, 2017, 03:27:27 am »

Notice of Recognition of Extraordinary Loss - Feb 13, 2017:

http://www.nikon.com/news/2017/20170213_1_e.pdf

Nikon cancels DL-series cameras:
http://www.nikon.com/news/2017/0213_dl.htm
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 05:49:09 am by dreed »

Ray

Re: Nikon: Notice of Recognition of Extraordinary Loss
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 05:23:16 am »

That's very disappointing news. I'm looking forward to an upgraded D810 consisting of D7200 pixels. I guess I'll have to wait a while.  :(

bjanes

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 07:47:56 am »

That's very disappointing news. I'm looking forward to an upgraded D810 consisting of D7200 pixels. I guess I'll have to wait a while.  :(

Maybe that's not the case. The massive loss was maibnly incurred from inventory write-downs/write-off in the Semiconductor Lithography Business, and not the camera division. With the DL series cancelled and the lithography business in shambles, Nikon will have to get revenue from somewhere. If they relinquish leadership in cameras to Canon and Sony, what will be left?

Regards,

Bill

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 08:11:11 am »

Maybe that's not the case. The massive loss was maibnly incurred from inventory write-downs/write-off in the Semiconductor Lithography Business, and not the camera division. With the DL series cancelled and the lithography business in shambles, Nikon will have to get revenue from somewhere. If they relinquish leadership in cameras to Canon and Sony, what will be left?

The note also says they are restructuring the Image division... not sure if that just means stopping DL line... also they mention that they are starting an early retairement program in that division... no good signs.

Great loss if Nikon goes away...

P.D.: I just deleted other post that I started about this topic... to avoid duplication.

Ray

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 09:11:17 am »

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill,
I remember I was very impressed when Nikon produced the D800 which seemed to be composed of pixels that were of very similar size and quality to those of the earlier 16mp D7000 cropped format. I've been hoping for some time that Nikon would repeat that procedure with the D7200.

I've just checked on the release dates of the D7000 and D800. They were approximately 2 1/2 years apart. The D7200 was released in March 2015, so one might expect a full-frame 52mp upgrade to the D810 by September this year, if Nikon's camera division has not been seriously affected by the restructuring. Keeping my fingers crossed.  ;)

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 10:55:55 am »

Nikon's market share in photolithography steppers has gone from a dominant position in the 90's to almost nothing today.  They got their clock cleaned by the Netherland's ASML.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 11:22:22 am »

Regards,

Bill

Relinquish something they do not have? Seems to me Canon is still selling more cameras and lenses, compared to Nikon.

N80

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 03:45:33 pm »

I think Canon has been in the sales lead for a long time. But that is not really the issue. Ford sells more cars than BMW.

I'm a lifelong Nikon user. Just personal preference. Never thought they were any better or worse than Canon.

Over the last few years Nikon has shown some disturbing trends. They seem to have totally misread the DX market. The D200 and D300 were superb, nearly pro level cameras. And then for years, six years?, nothing in that segment with Nikon calling the D7x00 their 'flagship' DX body. I waited and waited for a "D400" to replace the D300. I was ready to walk away from Nikon despite a significant investment in Nikon glass.

I'd be using something else if the D750 had not come along. Mind you, I did not want to got to the FX format but fortunately the D750 was, and still is, a very compelling package. This alone shows that Nikon still has 'it'. But I sold my Dx glass and replaced it with expensive (to me) FX glass only to have Nikon unexpectedly release the D500 which is the pro-level camera I've been waiting for for years. It is a superb camera but it came at the worst possible time for me since my desire was to stay in DX not FX. I'm happy with my D750 but still furious with Nikon's unpredictable and rather idiotic upgrade path.

If the D750 and D500 were not such excellent bodies I'd be even more worried. But I remain worried about Nikon's inability to read and respond to the market. That is a recipe for disaster and the photography landscape without Nikon will be a diminished one regardless of what brand you like. Canon and Nikon drive one another forward.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 09:41:11 pm »

As always there has something ( bad) to happen to make a change;
Hopefully Nikon can recover from this in a good Nikon tradition.
I am a long time Nikon user and very much like the quality of their cameras and optics. They have a tradition of building these at a high level and very solid.
The last years they have made several beautiful new optics and camera's.
However, the digital DSLR's have been too much too long a film DSLR with a sensor. ( same counts for Canon)
also the quality of the software is very low; They have to invest in software quality and hopefully make a perfect FF-mirrorless.
A good thing would be to make their lenses easier to fit on other bodies- par example the 19mm PCE that would be of great value on a fuji GFX.
More important for revenue- they should find a collaboration with a company that makes mobile phones to make optics for.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 09:44:16 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 02:34:54 am »

Hi,

I guess that depended on ASML offering better cost of ownership? I guess there is not so much brand loyalty in the stepper business?

Best regards
Erik

Nikon's market share in photolithography steppers has gone from a dominant position in the 90's to almost nothing today.  They got their clock cleaned by the Netherland's ASML.
Erik Kaffehr

N80

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 11:23:09 am »

Maybe I am a dinosaur but the mirrorless bodies do not appeal to me that much. Love they way the look, handle and perform but I simply do not like looking through an electronic viewfinder and never use a rear screen to focus or compose. Yes, the quality of electric viewfinders has improved and are pretty impressive. But I still prefer optical. So DSLRs are still my preference. I'm sure the broader market sees it differently and that is what Nikon has to answer to.

But is this really the end of the world? I mean, I don't see Canon making any really compelling mirrorless bodies. At least not for me. I guess Canon has lots of other revenue streams compared to Nikon.

The truth is, I don't care if Nikon contracts into a camera only company. I don't care about lithography or Nikon microscopes. I do not like Nikon rifle scopes or binoculars. If all that went away and a smaller, leaner Nikon emerged solely to make great photography gear that would be fine with me.
George

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 03:49:56 pm »

George,

I find myself mirroring your stance. I have only looked through one evf and didn't take to it. I relish being the dinosaur - it sits comfortable on my life exeriences as photographer. All I'd demand, if Nikon would listen, is a proper screen as there used to be in the F, F2, etc. And a split-image wedge, of course. I find the eyepiece magnifiers for the D200 and D700 perfectly useable with my vision; how much better they'd be on a proper screen!

Rob C

Telecaster

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 04:17:45 pm »

I also could live quite well with the SLR approach if the screens allowed accurate manual focusing. Since SLR makers no longer have an interest in this, I've lost interest in their products. The first D-SLR I owned was also only my second AF camera (not counting a couple early digicams I picked up to document business trips). The first AF SLR didn't last long either…too many focusing misses. Anyway I've been using EVFs (initially in videocams) since the mid-1990s…completely at home with 'em now.

-Dave-

mecrox

• My Online Portfolio
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 04:55:31 pm »

The Nikon news seems to have produced near hysteria in some quarters and enough recommendations and bullet lists from industry pundits to stretch to the moon and back. Nothing we do is going to make the slightest difference. The only thing is to continue with favourite equipment and enjoy ourselves - the whole point unless one's living depends on photography in which case other considerations may apply. In any case, come back in a year. 2107 may be pretty rough for some companies and the picture of which outfits can really survive and even prosper may be a bit clearer by then. Personally I now prefer an EVF but if I had to spend the next year using an OVF on a Pentax, the camera I used to have, I am pretty sure I would enjoy it and the technology side of things is easy to overdo. The shots which really satisfy all tend to be in the mind before any button is pressed anyway.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:01:14 pm by mecrox »
Mark @ Flickr

N80

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 06:10:32 pm »

I also could live quite well with the SLR approach if the screens allowed accurate manual focusing. Since SLR makers no longer have an interest in this, I've lost interest in their products. The first D-SLR I owned was also only my second AF camera (not counting a couple early digicams I picked up to document business trips). The first AF SLR didn't last long either…too many focusing misses. Anyway I've been using EVFs (initially in videocams) since the mid-1990s…completely at home with 'em now.

-Dave-

There was a company called KatzEye that made split prism screens for the D200, D300 and probably D3. I just went to their web site and they are no longer in operation.

I've got a couple of nice Nikkor MF primes that I still use on my D750. Between the focus indicator light and the viewfinder I get reasonable percentage of in-focus shots.

However, as my vision deteriorates with age I find I'm struggling with MF even with the split prism on my old Nikon FA. Fortunately, my D750 has a supremely accurate AF system that is simply uncanny and far better than I ever was with a split prism or ground glass/matte screen even when my vision was perfect. The D500 is even better I've heard.
George

Pages: [1]   Go Up