Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipf5000 borderless prints  (Read 4850 times)

jamie_m_

• http://www.mymoodphotography.com
ipf5000 borderless prints
« on: July 26, 2006, 10:28:49 am »

Hi,

When ever I try to selct borderless printing with my ipf5000 the pronter display always shows an error message saying borderless printing is not possible.

Has anyone experienced and overcome this?

I am using 17 inch roll paper with the borderless printing spacer installed on the roll spindle.
MyMoodPhotography
[url=http://www.mymood

Gary Damaskos

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 10:57:04 pm »

I am away for the printer - so I am relying on my memory here -
1)I am pretty sure borderless printing is for 16" wide paper and NOT for 17" paper. You might be able to visually verify this pretty quickly by lifting up your front cover and looking inside at the - "platen" maybe it is...look for inset wedge shapes (retangular recess) - they are there to catch the overspray ink into the suckers at the bottom of the shallow recess. Measure where they fall from the edge - probably at 16", 11", 8" - something I like that I expect.

I have 17" paper on my roll too - and borderless is not a choice, but again, with 16" wide paper it should be.

Hope this steers you helpfully,
Gary

Hi,

When ever I try to selct borderless printing with my ipf5000 the pronter display always shows an error message saying borderless printing is not possible.

Has anyone experienced and overcome this?

I am using 17 inch roll paper with the borderless printing spacer installed on the roll spindle.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71769\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

David White

• http://
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 02:05:40 am »

There are actually 7 overspray areas.  There is one at the far right just off the paper edge and from there they are spaced at 9.5", 12.5", 13.5" 15.5", 16.5" and 17.5".

I suspect that borderless is turned off on 17" rolls unless you have one of the Canon papers selected that support borderless printing on 17" rolls.  According to the Media Guide, the 17" roll papers that support this are:
     Premium Coated Paper
     Premium Matte Paper
     Fine Art Heavyweight Photo Paper
     Fine Art Textured Paper
     Fine Art Watercolor
     Fine Art Block Print

There are other papers that are supported only at 16" rolls for borderless.  It seems that Canon only allows you do do things based on the paper type selected and size selected.

I have run into a similiar problem trying to print on Moab Kokopelli 17" rolls using the Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss selection for the paper type.  Unfortunately it won't let me select the roll feed with this combination.  The media guide says that this paper is in sheets only.

At some point Canon is going to have to deal with the paper selection problem for those of us who print on other than Canon papers.  I would be happy just to be able to modify an existing sheet type to allow it to print to rolls also.
David White

aussiephil

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 02:46:28 am »

At some point Canon is going to have to deal with the paper selection problem for those of us who print on other than Canon papers.  I would be happy just to be able to modify an existing sheet type to allow it to print to rolls also.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71964\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

David,

i would much prefer to see Canon release the information about ink laydown and loads for each of the paper types so that we can either make intelligent and informed decisions on a matching type that has the required feed path.

Maybe one of the really smart people could work out the differences.

Has anyone managed to work out the Media Configuration Tool?

This poorly documented thing is no doubt the answer to the media selection issues for some.

Phil

Gary Damaskos

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 10:00:32 am »

You can chose Proofing paper for the roll selection paper and it uses gloss black - and then profile it - that is what is working for me using canon's new premium photo super-gloss 180gsm roll paper. I certainly did not want mat black, and this was the only choice for 17" rolls, as I recall, for gloss black and 17" roll. But it works fine for my eyes and images. In fact I don't even observe a difference printing with my profile or with the provided proofing paper profile and I expected that I would. At this point I do not know why, just that things are working.

The latest CS position about the media profiles seems to be that they are "descriptors" of paper types rather singular choices. I do know so far, taking that approach with them is allowing me to both work and get wonderful results...

And yes you are correct about borderless printing on 17" rolls for the described papers - just a note: all choices are for mat black.

My media guide shows broadly choices exist for rolls for borderless printing at the following roll widths: 10", 14", 16", 17" and A2.
Gary

There are actually 7 overspray areas.  There is one at the far right just off the paper edge and from there they are spaced at 9.5", 12.5", 13.5" 15.5", 16.5" and 17.5".

I suspect that borderless is turned off on 17" rolls unless you have one of the Canon papers selected that support borderless printing on 17" rolls.  According to the Media Guide, the 17" roll papers that support this are:
     Premium Coated Paper
     Premium Matte Paper
     Fine Art Heavyweight Photo Paper
     Fine Art Textured Paper
     Fine Art Watercolor
     Fine Art Block Print

There are other papers that are supported only at 16" rolls for borderless.  It seems that Canon only allows you do do things based on the paper type selected and size selected.

I have run into a similiar problem trying to print on Moab Kokopelli 17" rolls using the Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss selection for the paper type.  Unfortunately it won't let me select the roll feed with this combination.  The media guide says that this paper is in sheets only.

At some point Canon is going to have to deal with the paper selection problem for those of us who print on other than Canon papers.  I would be happy just to be able to modify an existing sheet type to allow it to print to rolls also.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71964\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up