Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing from an Imac  (Read 2146 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Printing from an Imac
« on: February 11, 2017, 12:06:25 pm »

According to Digilloyd on Macperformanceguide, Th current 5K imac are superb for viewing photographs.  However, one cannot calibrate this monitor as usual, and although images look terrific, the gamut of this monitor is not as wide and and NEC for example.

This leads to the question, that if one cannot calibrate the monitor, how does one get accurate color when printing?

Community experience?

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

howardm

Re: Printing from an Imac
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 12:28:18 pm »

what does 'as usual' mean for Mr. Lloyd?  I've not heard of any such issue.

JeanMichel

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 12:33:03 pm »

There is no problem with calibrating the iMac retina. Printing from it, using LR mostly, is no different than printing from my older MacPro and Cinema Display. Calibration done weekly, but really unnecessary as there is no difference from week to week. Soft proofing in LR allows for excellent work prints, fine prints require little, if any, further adjustments.
Jean-Michel

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 12:49:04 pm »

The interwebs were all aflutter when Apple chose to use DCI-P3 instead of Adobe RGB as a color space.  Most of this seems to have calmed down over the last year.

For me I've seen no ill-effects of the choice and my X-Rite i1Display Pro recognizes the monitor and calibrates/profiles it nicely.  I have no complaints on my prints from my Epson SC P800.

Much ado about nothing???
Regards,
Ron

John Chardine

• chardine photography
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 11:08:04 am »

Assume xrite's Color Munki also works?

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 01:23:15 pm »

I have no experience with the Color Munki so I can't say.
Regards,
Ron

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 11:05:03 pm »

i1 display 2 calibrated my iMac without any trouble. I don't follow DL so don't know what his issue was but I had none.
Rolleiflex USA

mkihne

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 11:16:38 am »

Yes. It's what I use.

Mike

aaronleitz

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 12:15:17 pm »

I recently bought a new iMac 5k for my main editing workstation. It sits right next to my NEC PA 302W and I have been unable to match the monitors. Both the color and contrast of the monitors are different with the iMac screen having a magenta cast and much more contrast. The NEC is calibrated with the tool that came with it and the iMac is calibrated with a colormunki. Both are X-rite calibration tools. Is it even possible to get two monitors to match?

Danulon

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 05:09:41 am »

Regarding the original question: afaik iMac screens (same as MacBook Pro screens) display a smaller part of colour space in comparison to some other high end screens.

IMac screens can be calibrated which means that some colours are being "muted" in comparison to others. It works fine for me on my non 5k iMac. For those in need of any last colour hue a different screen with bigger colour space might be preferable, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up