Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop adding points to curves  (Read 2953 times)

Ad_Astra

Photoshop adding points to curves
« on: February 11, 2017, 11:39:27 am »

Hi

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was a keyboard shortcut to add points on the line in a curves adjustment layer automatcially at each intersection on the grid.

I cannot find this and would like to use this in some actions as manually clicking to add some lock points tends to cause a slight movement on the curve. Does anybody known this shortcut please?

leuallen

Re: Photoshop adding points to curves
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 01:07:04 pm »

Don't know about a keyboard shortcut, could not find one. But you can use a curves preset to quickly place the points on the curve.

In the preset drop down select 'Custom'.

Place the points where you want them.

Click the upper right most icon (four horizontal lines) and select 'Save preset' from the menu. Give it a name.

To use:

Make a preset adjustment layer.

Click on the 'Presets' drop down.

Locate the name you gave the preset and click it.

The curve will have the points you desire.

Actions:

There does not seem to be any way to incorporate this into an action due to lack of keyboard shortcuts.

Larry
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:02:13 pm by leuallen »

Ad_Astra

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 03:32:12 pm »

Thanks Larry

I will create a curves preset, I always seem to nudge the curve when clicking a point, but if I then go and set the input and output values to the same value I know that I will not be changing anything. I need to do this on the Red, Geen and Blue channels as well, but I think the effort will be worth it.

I can then load the preset and just pull the points off the curve in the area I want to change, I think that will be quicker than trying to set the input and putput values on the lock points each time.

leuallen

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 08:05:31 pm »

I use curves a lot. I use an auxiliary keypad for left hand use and on it I have '+' and '-' (more convenient than reaching across keyboard for same keys). Plus will move to the next point and minus to the previous. Once I have my points established, I move between them with these keys and change the values with the arrow keys also on the keypad. It is more precise than the mouse and quicker.

You can do this without the keypad but it is not as convenient. My right hand is always on the mouse and I don't want to move it for the keyboard. The keypad is right at my (left) finger tips with my arm resting on the chair arm. Without the keypad I would constantly be raising my arm and reaching for the keyboard-I am lazy so don't want to do that.

Larry

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 09:28:03 pm »

Actions:

There does not seem to be any way to incorporate this into an action due to lack of keyboard shortcuts.

Once you have created the curve preset, the automation is simple.  Create a new action to make a new curves layer and apply the aforementioned curve preset.  I have created many actions encompassing typical scenarios using various curve presets and they work great - saving a lot of time not having to recreate all those steps.

Addendum:  Years ago, I don't know how many versions ago, you could actually select the points by way of a pop-up spread sheet - one of those useful things Adobe has taken away over the years.  I would love to have that when I am creating a correction curve for making my digital negatives for alternative processing.  I currently use the method described by leuallen with + - up down keys.  It is not very convenient, particularly in the steep parts of the curve.   
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:16:40 am by nirpat89 »

leuallen

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 09:38:52 pm »

Please explain with specifics. Step by step.

nirpat89

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 04:35:22 am »

Please explain with specifics. Step by step.

Larry:

I may or may not have misunderstood your methodology so I will enumerate the steps how I would do the OP's original requirement from start to finish.

1) Define your curve.

a) On the Add Adjustment Panel, select Curves which will add a new blank Curves layer.   
b) Manually add points on each R, G, and B channel as needed, let's say 9 equidistant points with input/output values of 0, 32, 64, ...., 255. 

2) Store the Curve as a preset.

Click on the drop-down menu on the right side of the Curve panel and select "Save Curves Preset."  Give a name e.g. "9 Point Baseline Curve" or some such.  Save it at an appropriate place.

3) Create the action to Repeat 1+2.

a) Go to Actions panel.
b) Click on the "Create New Actions" symbol at bottom (second from the right.) to open a pop-up window.
c) Name your action e.g. "Baseline Curves Layer w/ 9 points." Hit "Record."
d) Do 1a) i.e. add a new Curves layer
e) Open the Preset window at the top of the Curves graph and select the previously stored Curve Preset "9 Point Baseline Curve." 

Now you have the curve applied to the layer.

f) Stop the recording by clicking on the grey square (first on the left) at the bottom of the Action Panel.  Your new action is stored in the list on the Actions Panel.

3.  Recall the curve.

Whenever you need to use the curve, simply go to the list of your Actions and select the "Baseline Curves Layer w/ 9 Points" and click Play. 

Hope this helps.

:Niranjan.

P.S. All of the above is based on PS CC 2014. 

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:39:23 am by nirpat89 »

leuallen

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 08:18:22 am »

Thanks. Glad to be proven wrong.

Larry

Redcrown

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 12:14:17 pm »

A "trick" to add to Niranjan's steps:

When you record an action that uses a Preset, the Preset name is stored in the action. When you execute that action, the preset must still exist and be in the exact place it was when the action was recorded.

Usually not a problem, unless... in some later upgrade, re-config of your system the presets get lost or moved to a new location. Or unless you "export" the action and share it with others (who don't have the preset).

A way around that:

When recording the action, after loading the preset simply modify it. It the case of Curves, select one of the points and change it, but then change it back to the original value. Easy to select a point, nudge it with the arrow keys and nudge it back.

Now the full set of values will be stored in the action, not the preset name. The action will be "stand-alone" and not dependent on presets.

nirpat89

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 07:29:48 am »

Sounds like a neat trick.  I didn't know you could do that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up