Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print Job Panel 'Media Type' Setting  (Read 3684 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Print Job Panel 'Media Type' Setting
« on: February 10, 2017, 01:33:16 pm »

I think I recall reading somewhere that when using an Epson printer, it isn't necessary to match the "Media Type" setting (i.e., "Matte" or "Glossy") to the paper—that when the print job is queued, the Epson print driver will negotiate with Lightroom to ensure that the media type selected in the Print Job panel matches the paper selection made from the printer's front panel.  (I'm using a P800 and printing from MacOS, in case the particular hardware or operating system may be determinative.)

I assumed I read that in Jeff Schewe's The Digital Print, but I've just checked the index and flipped through the relevant pages and I can't find anything about an automatic synchronization, just an explanation of why the output sharpening needs to vary with the type of paper surface.

The reason for this inquiry is that I can't seem to remember to reliably set this parameter manually.  I frequently discover only after the printer has started chugging away that the setting displayed in Lightroom doesn't match the paper.

Before I waste a lot of time, paper and ink trying to determine this through testing, I wonder if anybody can point me to an authoritative reference as to how this option works in an Epson environment.

bns

• Boudewijn Swanenburg Photography
Re: Print Job Panel 'Media Type' Setting
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 02:33:06 pm »

In the LR printmodule you have to set the proper media type in the page set-up dialog box. The paper manufactor should specify which Epson media definition should be selected for the particular paper and printer. The content of the page setup setting will override whatever is on the printer display, if any.
Good practice is to make presets for all papertypes and sizes that you are using.

Boudewijn Swanenburg

CeeVee

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 06:56:23 pm »

I recall reading that as far as an Epson printer is concerned there isn't that much difference between Luster and Glossy. _But_ there is a _big_ difference between Matte and Glossy/Luster. Maybe that's what you remember?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Chris Kern

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 07:01:42 pm »

In case it wasn't clear in my initial post, I'm referring to the "Media Type" parameter in the "Print Job" panel of the Lightroom print module, and whether that parameter needs to be manually set to match the paper selected in the Epson printer driver or whether the printer driver setting will override an erroneous value in the Lightroom application.  (See attached screen capture.)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 08:39:41 pm »

I do all of my LR printing using carefully prepared presets, one for each paper profile I use and each print size I frequently use. When setting up the profile, I make sure that in the printer properties I have selected the correct media type (matte or glossy). Then I never have to worry about the media type any time after that.

It also helps that for several years now I have only printed on glossy media.

Presets have saved me many headaches and errors that I used to encounter when I printed from PhotoShop.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 10:32:14 pm »

In case it wasn't clear in my initial post, I'm referring to the "Media Type" parameter in the "Print Job" panel of the Lightroom print module, and whether that parameter needs to be manually set to match the paper selected in the Epson printer driver or whether the printer driver setting will override an erroneous value in the Lightroom application.  (See attached screen capture.)

That setting has nothing to do with the media type setting in the printer driver, but is a parameter that affects how the output sharpening is performed by Lightroom. You get a similar option in Lightroom in the export dialog.
See page 122 of "The Digital Print"

Mike
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 10:35:28 pm by schertz »

Chris Kern

Re: Print Job Panel 'Media Type' Setting (Answered)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 12:25:18 pm »

OK, looks like I was conflating the way Lightroom communicates color management parameters with the print driver and the way it handles output sharpening when the job is queued to the printer.  Here's what Jeff Schewe actually wrote:

When you're soft proofing, and you've created a virtual copy, that virtual copy retains the name of the profile you used when you printed.  It will automatically communicate to the print module the correct profile and rendering intent that you chose in the soft proofing, which I think is actually pretty darn cool.  That's yet another benefit in the Lightroom printing workflow.  However, of course, you can override that.
[The Digital Print, p. 221.]

So it does appear desirable to choose the correct output-sharpening in the "Media Type" parameter.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Print Job Panel 'Media Type' Setting (Answered)
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 01:46:45 am »

So it does appear desirable to choose the correct output-sharpening in the "Media Type" parameter.

Yes...

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 08:02:28 am »

I do all of my LR printing using carefully prepared presets, one for each paper profile I use and each print size I frequently use. When setting up the profile, I make sure that in the printer properties I have selected the correct media type (matte or glossy). Then I never have to worry about the media type any time after that.

It also helps that for several years now I have only printed on glossy media.

Presets have saved me many headaches and errors that I used to encounter when I printed from PhotoShop.
+1 Presets are the surest way of avoiding incorrect settings.

Chris Kern

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 12:05:40 pm »

Thanks for confirming that, Jeff.

Presets are the surest way of avoiding incorrect settings.

For now, I think I'll just go the low-tech route: a sticky note on the monitor of the computer I use for printing (an old Apple Mac Mini whose only purpose is to spool jobs to the printer after I've soft-proofed them elsewhere) reminding me to check the Media Type setting before I push the print button.
Pages: [1]   Go Up