Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This land is your land  (Read 2934 times)

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
This land is your land
« on: February 10, 2017, 01:20:27 pm »

The wildness of the western United States, open and free is a treasure we should all hope to preserve. With the recent changes in government, these wild places are already under withering assault from the puppets of the gas and oil industry. And because of this threat we must stand up and reject these extreme views of the land as nothing more than a commodity because...this land is your land.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:33:06 pm by mseawell »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: This land is your land
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 01:49:55 pm »

The wildness of the western United States, open and free is a treasure we should all hope to preserve. With the recent changes in government, these wild places are already under withering assault from the puppets of the gas and oil industry. And because of this threat we must stand up and reject these extreme views of the land as nothing more than a commodity because...this land is your land.
Mark,
If you haven't already joined them, look into the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance ("SUWA") which has been working effectively for many years to publicize the need for protection of those gorgeous lands.

Here is a link to their website: https://suwa.org/
I've only been to Utah once, but I have been a member of SUWA for a number of years.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

mseawell

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 02:06:44 pm »

Thanks Eric! I will check them out.

Mark

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 06:09:12 am »

Beautiful shot.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 06:46:42 am »

because of this threat we must stand up and reject these extreme views of the land as nothing more than a commodity because...this land is your land.

I think the Native Americans (aka Indians) tried that.  Didn't work out so well for them.  ;)

But yeah, we are living in interesting times.  I just hope that not too many of the changes are irreversible.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

RMW

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 07:25:08 am »

"Land is either sacred or it is desecrated."
Wendell Berry

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 08:49:31 am »

What a majestic photo!
Wendell Berry
I wish more thought of words like "stewardship" -- and not "ownership" -- when they talk about the lands occupied by the US. What a shame it would be if future generations were deprived of views such as shown in your glorious photograph. Resist and persist.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

adias

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 01:17:40 am »

Mark: No politics here please, but besides... no national treasures are threatened anyway; misplaced paranoia and leftwing 'group-think' runs rampant and should not reside here.

mseawell

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 01:24:05 am »

Adias, I don't know where you live but I live in Utah. They(the politicians) at the state and federal level are doing everything here in there power to delete National Monuments, shrink the ones that exist, and turn over federal lands back to the states. If you look it up for yourself, you will see that Congressman Jason Chaffez has already asked the administrator to delete the new Bears Ears monument created at the end of December 2016. Do you realize an Arizona congressman has introduced legislation to drill in National Parks just 10 days ago? Do you still think there is NO threat? Just read the news, any news. So please don't tell me what is going on...I can read. If you are offended by the truth, I suggest you report it to the moderator.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:39:41 am by mseawell »

adias

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 02:06:19 am »

... to delete the new Bears Ears monument created at the end of December 2016. ...

I see a 'national monument' created/rushed by the owner of the 'pen and the phone' in Dec 2016... Nah, that  is not a National Monument; it is a blatant governmental land grab.

I support national parks, but not abusive government control of the land which belongs to the People. YMMV.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 04:11:08 am »

Wendell Berry

That's one of many apparently pithy remarks which appear profound on first sight but which on reflection are revealed to have no real meaning.

Jeremy

andaremos

• Andaremos
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 12:30:06 am »

Public lands are under assault everywhere.
Here in south Florida, the Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge in the northeast Everglades is at risk of being taken over by the state.

- Eduardo
www.andaremos.com - Travel and Nature Photography

adias

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 01:45:30 am »

Public lands are under assault everywhere.
Here in south Florida, the Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge in the northeast Everglades is at risk of being taken over by the state.

And being taken over by the State of Florida is bad?!? Isn't it better to have local control, where you, as a State resident, can have a voice?

mseawell

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 08:37:13 am »

As lovers of the land, it depends on the intent of the state. Utah is selling the lie they are "taking back" land from the federal government when it fact, they never "owned" the lands they are seeking to appropriate. What the state of Utah owns is based on the terms negotiated with the federal government for statehood and they agreed to those terms long ago. Worse, it is VERY clear what the state of Utah wants to do if they get their hands on the land, sell it off to the highest bidders which is the gas and oil companies. I cannot speak for Florida, but if Utah wins it will be an unmitigated environmental disaster. We already are the "proud" owners of some the worse air quality during the winter months in the United States and have consistently failed to meet federal air standards for years. Utah politicians are at best apathetic towards environmental issues, at worse downright hostile.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 08:42:25 am by mseawell »

andaremos

• Andaremos
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 08:22:03 pm »

And being taken over by the State of Florida is bad?!? Isn't it better to have local control, where you, as a State resident, can have a voice?

The State government has been unable to respond to complex water quality issues. The fear is that politicians will give in to private developers and sell the land.
- Eduardo
www.andaremos.com - Travel and Nature Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up