Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony Alpha 7RII to Nikkor 19mm Tilt Shift Lens Adapter?  (Read 5801 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
Sony Alpha 7RII to Nikkor 19mm Tilt Shift Lens Adapter?
« on: February 09, 2017, 03:22:28 pm »

I have just purchased the 7RII and have brought in both the Canon 17 TS-E and the new Nikkor 19mm TS-E.
Purchased the Metabones adapter for the Canon 17 BUT I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND AN ADAPTER FOR THE NIKKOR THAT WORKS.

I do have the Fotodiox adapter but it does NOT work with the Nikkor.

Anyone actually successfully mating the Nikkor to the 7RII, and if so how?

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
Re: Sony Alpha 7RII to Nikkor 19mm Tilt Shift Lens Adapter?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 04:28:23 pm »

Are you using a manual (mechanical) Fotodiox adapter?  You'll need an electronic adapter to control the aperture.

These are reported to work with PC-E lenses:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1265004-REG/vello_lae_se_nfv4_select_nikon_f_lens.html
http://www.commlite.com/en/product_show.php?id=205&img_sl_lm1=upimg/2015112012350794.jpg&title_lm=Lens%20Accessories&title=CM-ENF-E(1)

I have no experience with either, but have read reports that they are working with newest firmware:
http://briansmith.com/where-are-the-nikon-af-lens-adapters/
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57599727

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 08:41:16 pm »

Yes, I know I need an electronic interfaced adapter.

What I'm hoping to hear from is a actual user that has mated the two together.

Thanks

alan_b

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 09:32:46 pm »

Maybe try contacting Brian Smith in the link above.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 09:59:12 pm »

I have sent Brian a message asking for his guidance - hoping for a reply but expect the chap is quite busy.

Will let all know what he says if I hear back.
Jack

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 11:34:26 pm »

I have sent Brian a message asking for his guidance - hoping for a reply but expect the chap is quite busy.

Will let all know what he says if I hear back.
Jack

I think you're SOL, for now:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59081854

Jim

alan_b

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 01:35:59 am »

That's disappointing - hope a solution comes soon!

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 06:31:37 am »

Yup, SOL!

"Nikon PC-E lenses won't work. While the Commlite/Vello/Fotodiox AF adapters allow you to control the aperture electronically - BUT the shutter will only release wide open."

Appreciate Brian's reply.
Jack

jemadsen

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 09:23:18 am »

Hi

I have found a kind of a work aroung to this problem. Not really a solution but it works.

Mount the PCE lens on a Nikon body, turn on the camera, set the aperture on the lens to a value that You will use, press the preview button on the lens such that the aperture closes to the value You set - then

Detach the lens from the Nikon WITHOUT turning off the camera. This way the aperture stays closed down and the lens can be mounted on the adapter / camera and will work on THAT ONE SET aperture.

Should the need for another aperture arise You repeat the proces. Thus your Nikon will be the worlds most expensive tool for aperture setting - that is if it just sits on the shelf while You play with the Sony.

It works for me with a 6-7 years old PCE 24 mm and a mechanical Nikon-NEX Fotodiox adapter (at €38) on the A7R2.

Regards
Johannes
Regards
Johannes Elkjaer Madsen

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 10:55:55 am »

Yes, thank you for the suggestion.

I found another work around that is much easier - I bought the Canon 17TS with Metabones adapter.
Working great!

:D

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 11:00:33 am »

Hi

I have found a kind of a work aroung to this problem. Not really a solution but it works.

Mount the PCE lens on a Nikon body, turn on the camera, set the aperture on the lens to a value that You will use, press the preview button on the lens such that the aperture closes to the value You set - then

Detach the lens from the Nikon WITHOUT turning off the camera. This way the aperture stays closed down and the lens can be mounted on the adapter / camera and will work on THAT ONE SET aperture.

Should the need for another aperture arise You repeat the proces. Thus your Nikon will be the worlds most expensive tool for aperture setting - that is if it just sits on the shelf while You play with the Sony.

It works for me with a 6-7 years old PCE 24 mm and a mechanical Nikon-NEX Fotodiox adapter (at €38) on the A7R2.

Regards
Johannes

The new 19mm uses an electronic aperture diaphragm not a mechanical one like what you have on your lens.  Any adapter that has an aperture control ring like the Novoflex or Fotodiox will work with your 24mm or other G lenses because all the adapater has to do is to move the aperture stop down tab on the lens but the new E lenses don't have that and stop down by electronic means, not mechanical means so the method you outlined may not work with the new lens.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 11:04:01 am »

The new 19mm uses an electronic aperture diaphragm not a mechanical one like what you have on your lens.  Any adapter that has an aperture control ring like the Novoflex or Fotodiox will work with your 24mm or other G lenses because all the adapater has to do is to move the aperture stop down tab on the lens but the new E lenses don't have that and stop down by electronic means, not mechanical means so the method you outlined may not work with the new lens.

My Nikon 24mm f/3.5E TSE lens is not a G lens. It has an electronic aperture control, like the new 19  mm. I've had it for a long time.

jemadsen

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 02:33:02 pm »

he adapater has to do is to move the aperture stop down tab on the lens but the new E lenses don't have that and stop down by electronic means, not mechanical means so the method you outlined may not work with the new lens.

As far as I know the only difference on the new 19 mm PCE from the old 24 / 45 / 85 mm is that the aperture is actually set from the camera (like the G lenses), not on the lens.

The actual operation of the aperture in closing and opening it is the same electro-magnetic stuff.

Thus my adapter is just a tube witout aperture ring or activator, and the trick is that the aperture is actually closed to its set value on the Nikon camera by the Preview button on the lens. And this is also the reason why the lens must go back on the Nikon camera to change the aperture.

Regards
Johannes
Regards
Johannes Elkjaer Madsen

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 04:53:08 pm »

My Nikon 24mm f/3.5E TSE lens is not a G lens. It has an electronic aperture control, like the new 19  mm. I've had it for a long time.
Ah OK, after your reply I went back and did a little research.  Nikon actually first offered the E-aperture control only on the T/S lenses but never offered it on regular lenses until just a couple of years ago.  I didn't realize that the T/S lenses dating back to 2008 had the electronic, not the electro-mechanical aperture control like all other lenses of that era had.

stevesanacore

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 04:52:06 pm »

I have just purchased the 7RII and have brought in both the Canon 17 TS-E and the new Nikkor 19mm TS-E.
Purchased the Metabones adapter for the Canon 17 BUT I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND AN ADAPTER FOR THE NIKKOR THAT WORKS.

I do have the Fotodiox adapter but it does NOT work with the Nikkor.

Anyone actually successfully mating the Nikkor to the 7RII, and if so how?

Just wondering, why bother with the Nikon if you have the Canon 17? It's super sharp and proven on the Sony.
We don't know what we don't know.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 06:32:10 pm »

Just wondering, why bother with the Nikon if you have the Canon 17? It's super sharp and proven on the Sony.

Because the Nikon is quite a bit better?

Cheers,
Bernard

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 06:45:06 pm »

Because the Nikon is quite a bit better?

Cheers,
Bernard

+1
Pages: [1]   Go Up