Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hosting services?  (Read 12616 times)

DarkPenguin

Hosting services?
« on: July 25, 2006, 09:16:03 pm »

I've been dealing with DreamHost again and I think I'm having a brain hemmorrage.

Anyone have any fav hosting sites?  Don't say dreamhost.

Oh, php, mysql, free domain, etc would all be good things.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 09:16:43 pm by DarkPenguin »

61Dynamic

• http://
Hosting services?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 10:01:28 pm »

I've been enjoying DreamHost (sorry, but I have). What's been the problem for you?

DarkPenguin

Hosting services?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 10:44:44 pm »

Email is unrealiable.  Sites been down alot.  (Wooo!  Twins win!) Email is unreliable.  Did I mention that email is unreliable?

tgphoto

Hosting services?
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 12:30:35 am »

I have been using ModHost for the past 7 years and have been pretty happy overall with their level of service.  They use CPanel for their backend and also have 1-click installs available for a variety or web apps (WordPress, Coppermine, Mambo, etc)

I'm on their Business Plan and it has pretty much everything I need.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 12:30:54 am by tgphoto »

ricwis

• http://www.ricwis.com
Hosting services?
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 09:23:27 am »

I've used Parcom for several years now and found their service and reliability to be excellent.  Their rates are reasonable and they too use the CPanel interface.  I've used them for hosting and domain registration.  Email is reliable and I don't recall downtime or problems.  I also subscribe to the advanced anti-spam service.  Another nice thing about them is they are a member of the BBB so are no fly-by-night company.
Rich Wisler
Wildlife and Scenic Photogra

CJD

Hosting services?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 10:21:36 am »

I use

http://www.ourinternet.us/

Always been very good and reliable

giles

Hosting services?
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 11:10:52 am »

pair Networks

I've been a customer of pair Networks for two weeks less than ten years now.  The server my domains are on has had less downtime than my various desktop PCs over that time, including a one-time data centre migration a few years ago. PHP and MySQL are available.

No "free" domains, but their domain name registry pairNIC has excellent service and prices within a dollar or two per year of the cheapest I've seen.  You don't have to register domains with pairNIC to sign up with pair Networks; I have some domains with pairNIC and a .com.au domain with an Australian registry.

No business is perfect, but I like pair's tradeoffs of price, support, and reliability, and their network connectivity is second to none.

Cheers,

Giles

jani

• Øyet
Hosting services?
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 04:25:50 pm »

Email is unrealiable.  Sites been down alot.  (Wooo!  Twins win!) Email is unreliable.  Did I mention that email is unreliable?
Although I suspect that your email problems are something out of the ordinary, I think it should be pointed out that yes, Internet mail is unreliable, by design.

And thanks to spam and spam-fighting, it's even less reliable than it was ten years ago.

Still, we're being spoilt by a normal email delivery time of just a few seconds, and feel that something is wrong if it takes more than a couple of minutes.

What guarantees you had with email delivery before, was basically this:

Either your message gets delivered, in which case you'll get no confirmation; or it will not be delivered, in which case you'll get a return message saying that there was a "permanent delivery failure". Some systems gave you a "temporary delivery failure" warning message if email took more than 4 or 8 hours to deliver, and another one if it hadn't reached the recipient system within a day. Failure to deliver within a few days would generate the "permanent delivery failure" message back to the sender.

Well, provided that the sender's email system was working, that is.

In any case, I hope you'll see your problems resolved, whatever they are technically speaking.
Jan

DarkPenguin

Hosting services?
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 04:35:14 pm »

http://status.dreamhost.com/

I'm looking at bluehost right now.  Pair would be great but I haven't convinced myself that I need to double what I'm currently spending.  Although I probably do.

jani

• Øyet
Hosting services?
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 05:49:17 pm »

http://status.dreamhost.com/
Ah, yet another victim of power outages, faulty equipment and SpamCop.

You may be able to find a provider with better facilities for handling such problems, but you should also expect to pay much more; reliable redundancy is immensely expensive. If you don't end up paying more, there might be something fishy going on.

I'm looking at bluehost right now.  Pair would be great but I haven't convinced myself that I need to double what I'm currently spending.  Although I probably do.
To get increased reliability, yes, you probably do need to double your spending.

Be thankful that you're in a very competitive market; over here, you'd have to shell out five to twenty times to get significantly increased reliability.

Please note that I'm only making generalised statements; I don't know either of the hosting services you mention particularly well.
Jan

DarkPenguin

Hosting services?
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 06:24:42 pm »

Down again.  Unreal.

Trying to come up with a new domain name to test the new place out.  Just cannot think of anything I like.

DarkPenguin

Hosting services?
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 05:06:00 pm »

3 days in and I like bluehost so far.  I suspect I'm on the low # of users kiddy server until I get through the first 30 days.  But until then this thing is fast.

I prefer how dreamhost has things setup.  I just wish their execution was better.

61Dynamic

• http://
Hosting services?
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 08:44:43 pm »

Dreamhost explains why they have been having issues in Anatomy of a(n ongoing) Disaster.. for anyone interested (they are in the same data center as MySpace. Who knew). They promised they are working to improve things and so far, they seem to be living up to it. My experience with email, uptime reliability, and FTP transfers has been quickly improving. I'd say things are just about back to how they were for me before they started to have problems.

I'll continue to use them and recommend them.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 08:46:31 pm by 61Dynamic »

DarkPenguin

Hosting services?
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 09:23:11 pm »

They were bouncing email again just a few days ago.  I'm glad you're not having issues but they've been awful lately.  The thing is that if the web site was down half the time I wouldn't care.  Start bouncing my email and I end up blowing hours trying to recover.

Reply #418 in that blog entry above is priceless.  (No I didn't read them all.)  Oh, and the post it references (#240) is great, too.

ddolde

Hosting services?
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 09:31:54 pm »

lunarpages.com

DarkPenguin

Hosting services?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 09:38:10 pm »

lunarpages.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75159\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I hear decent things about lunarpages.  hostgator gets good reviews, too.  pair.com costs a small bundle but is supposed to be wonderful.

I almost went with angryhosting.com just because of their name.

TedM

• http://www.tedsimages.com
Hosting services?
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 12:58:54 pm »

I've been dealing with DreamHost again and I think I'm having a brain hemmorrage.

Anyone have any fav hosting sites?  Don't say dreamhost.

Oh, php, mysql, free domain, etc would all be good things.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just had to change hosts myself when the company I was with for over five years was bought out. Rather than giving you a specific recommendation (and I'm happy with my new hosting company, by the way) I'll suggest you that you join [a href=\"http://www.webhostingtalk.com]WebHostingTalk[/url]. You can post what you're looking for in the "Web Hosting" forum to solicit recommendations, and then search the forums for what other users have said about each one.

Most of the Web sites supposedly devoted to rating or reviewing hosting companies are actually nothing more than advertisements run by "affiliates" or "resellers" who get a commission each time they get someone to sign up with their hosting company. Some of them are "affiliated" with several companies, and their "ratings" are a function of how much commission they get. I found WebHostingTalk by far the most useful resource in my often-frustrating search for a new host. The site doesn't cost anything to join, and I have no connection with it beyond finding it useful.
Visit my Virtual Light Table: [url=http:
Pages: [1]   Go Up