Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dongle  (Read 2685 times)

Rob C

Dongle
« on: February 08, 2017, 11:38:06 am »

I face a problem based on minimal knowledge of computers and devices that work off them.

I was given a pair of Bose earphones that I plug, via a cable, into the 'phones' socket of a small, old, mini-hifi system that lives permanently connected to my computer. The computer uses Windows 8.1. I use the 'phones when the neighbours are here, but when I'm alone in the building I use the two normal speakers that sit on the shelf a few feet apart from one another.

Now, the main use of the little hi-fi system is to play a radio station that I get on the Internet via the computer. I don't expect to use it for anything else.

As far as I know, this computer, which was made to order because I wanted a more powerful system than was available locally off the shelf (Photoshop!) doesn't have Bluetooth - as far as I can tell. However, the headphones are Bluetooth compatible.

So the question is this: if I buy a dongle - whatever that is - and plug it into a USB port of the computer, will that allow the earphones to work without the cable that I normally have to use between the earphones and the hi-fi unit? Or is that way too naïve and simple an idea, and other stuff is needed to get the system working wirelessly (without the little cable to the earphones)? Unfortunately, I don't have any bright young kids hanging around here to tell me how to do this stuff! ;-)

Also, are all dongles the same, or do they come designed for different uses?

Thanks for any advice on this thing.

Rob C

bassman51

Re: Dongle
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 12:43:34 pm »

In principal, a Bluetooth dongle should do what you want.  After you install it, a new audio device should show up on your computer that you can select as you audio output device.  Separately, you'll need to pair the headphones with the dongle.   
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 02:43:10 pm »

In principal, a Bluetooth dongle should do what you want.  After you install it, a new audio device should show up on your computer that you can select as you audio output device.  Separately, you'll need to pair the headphones with the dongle.

Thank you!

In that case, I shall pay a visit to the IT shop in the next town and see what they can offer me. I learned about the existence of dongles the other day when I went to a white-goods store, where I'd bought a CD player that burned out - no idea why it did - and when I asked there, they said they didn't stock things like that, but that dongles were what I probably required, but they didn't seem to know much more...

Muchas gracias -

Rob C

Redcrown

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 03:18:24 pm »

Dongle will probably work for you, but beware of a potential Bluetooth problem I didn't know about and never saw mentioned in initial research.

Bluetooth introduces a slight delay in the audio. Not a problem unless you have the speakers on at the same time as the Bluetooth headset, of if watching a video.

I have normal old-age hearing loss that makes it difficult for me to distinguish voice dialogue from background noise. So I bought a Bluetooth headphone and dongle set for my TV. Wanted to leave the TV speakers on low volume for the wife, but use the headset for me.

The Bluetooth headphone audio was out of phase with the speakers, and the dialogue audio was slightly delayed from the video. Enough to drive me nuts. I learned I had to go with wired headphones, or FM, or Infrared. I simply gave up and continue to argue with the wife about the TV volume.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 03:49:31 pm »

Keep in mind there are dongles that just add BT to your computer and also dongles that can use BT to jump a gap in an otherwise analog audio chain.
The former is good for connecting headphones that already have BT to your computer that doesn't have BT via USB.
You could use the latter on something an old stereo headphone jack and the analog headphones would plug into the other dongle.

-MattB

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 04:30:50 pm »

Keep in mind there are dongles that just add BT to your computer and also dongles that can use BT to jump a gap in an otherwise analog audio chain.
The former is good for connecting headphones that already have BT to your computer that doesn't have BT via USB.
You could use the latter on something an old stereo headphone jack and the analog headphones would plug into the other dongle.

Thanks, Matt,

I assume that means that dongles come in two types, one designed to fit a USB socket, another designed to fit into a stereo jack hole?

In the case of (2), are you saying that as a separate exercise, I can use the headphone jack of my other, old, but good, stereo tuner/amp setup which lives in another room, and that by plugging a dongle into that, it will also allow me to use the new Bose BT-enabled headphones that I was presented with recently, to enjoy music that has nothing to do with the Internet and the computer?

How would one mate dongle with headphones without a computer and screen, or is the process much more simple than in case (1) above, and it's just a matter of plugging the bits in?

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 04:42:54 pm »

Dongle will probably work for you, but beware of a potential Bluetooth problem I didn't know about and never saw mentioned in initial research.

Bluetooth introduces a slight delay in the audio. Not a problem unless you have the speakers on at the same time as the Bluetooth headset, of if watching a video.

I have normal old-age hearing loss that makes it difficult for me to distinguish voice dialogue from background noise. So I bought a Bluetooth headphone and dongle set for my TV. Wanted to leave the TV speakers on low volume for the wife, but use the headset for me.

The Bluetooth headphone audio was out of phase with the speakers, and the dialogue audio was slightly delayed from the video. Enough to drive me nuts. I learned I had to go with wired headphones, or FM, or Infrared. I simply gave up and continue to argue with the wife about the TV volume.

I share your age-related hearing problems! In my case, as it was with my mother, it's not that the volume is too low but that I can't separate some sounds well, and it's never worse than when trying to converse in a restaurant when somebody I know at a nearby table speaks to me over the general buzz of convesations and bounced noises off the floor tiles and walls. I have to get up and go over, or just nod and get into heaven knows what situations!

I hadn't suspected there might be a delay between sound and vision with BT; I watch some tv documentaries on the computer because my satellite dish won't catch them, so I guess I'd just have to use the normal wired connection to avoid insanity! I find that living alone makes the calmness cut-off zone very, very close indeed. ;-)

Thanks for the heads-up!

Rob C

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 04:53:55 pm »

Thanks, Matt,

I assume that means that dongles come in two types, one designed to fit a USB socket, another designed to fit into a stereo jack hole?

In the case of (2), are you saying that as a separate exercise, I can use the headphone jack of my other, old, but good, stereo tuner/amp setup which lives in another room, and that by plugging a dongle into that, it will also allow me to use the new Bose BT-enabled headphones that I was presented with recently, to enjoy music that has nothing to do with the Internet and the computer?

How would one mate dongle with headphones without a computer and screen, or is the process much more simple than in case (1) above, and it's just a matter of plugging the bits in?

Rob

Yes, more than two in fact!

The setup process varies by product but it's usually something like a button push on the dongle and a corresponding button push on the headphones for them to find each other.
I was an early adopter and had a pair of transmitter and receiver to make my MP3 player and plug-in headphones wireless. Technically it worked but it was not a great implementation and I got rid of it in favor of just plugging the phones into the player.
I assume things have improved in the 10 years or so since then.

Something like this looks like it would do the trick, bridging the gap from your old receiver to your new wireless headphones and most likely do a better job than the one I used. They also make BT receivers for old stereos that would allow you to play music on your phone wirelessly through the old setup.
-MattB

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 05:16:28 pm »

Yes, more than two in fact!

The setup process varies by product but it's usually something like a button push on the dongle and a corresponding button push on the headphones for them to find each other.
I was an early adopter and had a pair of transmitter and receiver to make my MP3 player and plug-in headphones wireless. Technically it worked but it was not a great implementation and I got rid of it in favor of just plugging the phones into the player.
I assume things have improved in the 10 years or so since then.

Something like this looks like it would do the trick, bridging the gap from your old receiver to your new wireless headphones and most likely do a better job than the one I used. They also make BT receivers for old stereos that would allow you to play music on your phone wirelessly through the old setup.

Thanks - I can now speak more intelligently with the guy in the IT store!

Rob

Redcrown

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 11:34:45 pm »

Your post made me re-visit the issue and try again. After a few hours with Google, all roads led to propducts from Sennheiser. Either radio frequency (RF) or Infrared, either ear buds or over the ear. Both RF and IR avoid the latency problem of Bluetooth. Some of the Sennheiser products offer special "voice enhancement" processing.

Set up looks more simple than Bluetooth (no pairing). Just plug a small transmitter into the RCA jacks of your TV/Stereo and listen. I ordered a model 840 (earbuds). Should be able to report results in about 5 days.

donbga

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 09:15:52 am »

Thanks, Matt,

Rob

Rob,

You want to get a Blue Tooth USB dongle, end of story. The device may come with a driver disk or Windows 8 may already have the needed driver. In either case don't be surprised if Windows wants to update the driver. Let it.

I've been through this several times with family members PCs. Be glad you have Win 8 and not Win 7 as Win 7 is very iffy about BT antenna dongles.

Don Bryant

Redcrown

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 02:52:38 pm »

Got my Sennheiser 840 TV yesterday. Install was easy (plug-n-play). Sound quality was good, but... may take some getting used to. It definitely enhances speech. I think by both lowering volume of background and increasing treble. Much easier to understand vocals but the overall experience is much different than listening normal with volume cranked up.

Bad news is the fit-and-feel of the headset. I don't think it's going to work for me. I expect I'll swap it for a different model. The "stethoscope" style buds are slightly uncomfortable. And the unit bounces around when you get up and move. I like to lay on the floor to watch TV, propped up on some pillows with my head on one hand so at a slight angle. The stethoscope hangs with uneven pressure on the ears.

After ordering, I discovered they have a different model without the stethoscope. Just the receiver with a lanyard to hang around your neck that you can plug a normal set of earbuds into. I think that will work much better. Probably cut off the lanyard and stick the receiver in a pocket, like an Ipod, and use a good set of lightweight earbuds. That, of course, will require an RF unit and not infrared since the infrared can't get into a pocket.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 03:40:30 pm »

Well, the visit to the IT store proved different to what I'd expected.

The advice was that Bluetooth isn't the answer to my dreams. Apparently, the big problem is distance and obstructions getting between the dongle and the earphone. In effect, having the computer tuned on a radio station (that it mormally puts out to my little dedicated mini-strereo set) won't give me a signal when I walk into the next room and ty to sit somewhere else and listen to the music whilst reading a book or cutting my toenails, or whatever one does for fun.

His solution is a radio transmitter system that will send a signal all around the house, and even into the garden, should I so desire. Of course, he had a couple for sale. Cost about €70 + - I didn't bite. I think I shall just live with the status quo.

I do have a long HDMI cable connection from the office/computer to the tv set, but whilst I used it a few times at first, I have grown too lazy to bother putting it all together just to watch an hour of stuff on the box instead of on the monitor. Maybe I should get a more comfortable seat for the office and settle for that!

This modern world, so full of promises...

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:08:27 am by Rob C »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 07:13:19 pm »

Bluetooth works well, with the above mentioned caveats.  More or less line of sight and limited to about 20 meters or so. You might be surprised at how well it works. I have a Bluetooth speaker that connects wirelessly from the inside of my (metal!) van to a campfire some distance away.

Can you move one or both of the components to enable connection?  Can you return the BT dongle if you can't make it work?

Those BT Bose headphones are superb.  You'd love sitting on your balcony listening to music unencumbered by wires. I have a non BT pair and they saved my life on a recent 14 hr flight to NZ.  Two-year-olds nearby.  :(  They're not called "Quiet Comfort" for nothing. You can wear them for hours.

By the way, the term "dongle" is generic.  It basically applies to a plug like device that performs a function not necessarily related to the port it's plugged into. In the early 2000's, I had a copy protection dongle for a video edit system that plugged into the parallel (printer) port.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 12:06:35 am »

Yeah, I'd try a simple BT solution that you can return if it doesn't suit your needs. Like one of those devices from Amazon. Someone who wants to sell you something else may not be your most impartial source of information.
I use a BT headset for my work phone daily walking around my office and have never had an issue with signal strength unless my headset battery is getting low.
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up