Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture Pilot & iPad  (Read 1270 times)

JoeKitchen

Capture Pilot & iPad
« on: February 08, 2017, 10:17:43 am »

I am going to buying an iPad and I am debating between the 32 and 128 GB versions. 

My main use will be to be review images via WiFi from my back while shooting exteriors to check for soft broad flares, like from a passing cloud. 

My concern with the 32 GB is will the cache of images cause a storage issue with the 32 GB version? 

I also plan on storing a few portfolios and videos on the iPad. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

gagemanning

Re: Capture Pilot & iPad
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 12:02:18 pm »

Not sure if there would be any difference with "cache" between 32 or 128gb iPad but I would without question do the 128gb.  Apple's own software will take up some of the 32gb and after you put a few videos on there (most are 3-5gb a piece) and software, you will not be left with much space.

gage

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 01:04:23 pm »

I am going to buying an iPad and I am debating between the 32 and 128 GB versions. 

My main use will be to be review images via WiFi from my back while shooting exteriors to check for soft broad flares, like from a passing cloud. 

My concern with the 32 GB is will the cache of images cause a storage issue with the 32 GB version? 

I also plan on storing a few portfolios and videos on the iPad.

I shoot via captuer pilot constantly but I'm doing tethered to C1 then wifi to the Ipad.  The storage is cheap enough but I'm getting by just fine with 16gb.  YMMV given the back you are shooting verses the Canons I use.   

One point.   I carry my ipad around with me while I work.   I have a 12.9, a couple of Airs and a couple of Minis.  I use the minis to shoot with. The screen is plenty big and with a very thin case like the Apple case I can put  the mini in the pocket of my bluejeans ( a tight fit but it works with the smooth and thin case) or easily in the pockets of cargo pants. 

I think you will find more uses that just exteriors.  Its a great tool to use while tweaking lighting or styling items for interiors as well.  We often connect two ipads so my wife can use it while styling and it also gives her the opportunity shoot frames to see the results of her changes.  If we have client or agency people we will often connect the 12.9 for them to view.  I expose all of my frames using the ipad.  Since I shoot parts and pieces and assemble in post, I can move around the set and adjust lighting and shoot without heading back to the computer.

One piece of advice for anyone that plans on using Capture Pilot while tethered....set up a local wifi network just for Capture Pilot.  Ad Hoc is skechy at best and lots of times I'm not in a place where I can tap into wireless.   I find these travel wireless devices to be great for my needs, even better if they have built in 110 plugs...no need to a power adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Portable-Extender-TL-WR700N/dp/B006DEBYWU/ref=sr_1_28?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1486576966&sr=1-28&keywords=travel+router
Craig Lamson Photo

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 01:25:34 pm »

Thanks Craig and Gage. 

I was thinking the use of the iPad for staging would work really well too.  I could give it to my client or stylist while I worry about the lighting. 

Joe
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 11:02:38 pm »

Thanks Craig and Gage. 

I was thinking the use of the iPad for staging would work really well too.  I could give it to my client or stylist while I worry about the lighting. 

Joe

One other point Joe,  and I'm not sure it will apply to your situation, but I'll present it anyway.  I have very few problems with disconnects with Capture Pilot when I shut off sleep on the laptop, camera and iPad. 
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: [1]   Go Up