Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Desaturating Shadows  (Read 3795 times)

forward06

Desaturating Shadows
« on: February 08, 2017, 02:17:32 am »

Hi there,

Is there any way to desturate shadows inside C1, or this need to be done inside PS?

Cheers

Rado

Re: Desaturating Shadows
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 06:51:14 am »

I haven't found a way how to create luminosity based masks for local adjustments in C1 - it would be handy sometimes. So I do it in PS.

Remko

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 09:48:42 am »

Did you try the Color Balance Tool? It is new since, I guess, V9.

By selecting the Shadow Color Wheel you can easily adjust the saturation. It will effect the shadows and only just partly a bit of the midtones for a nice color roll off. Just give it a try 😀

There are excellent videos as well about the Color Balance Tool.

cheers,
Remko

Rado

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 11:29:33 am »

How do you adjust saturation of all colors in the Color Balance wheel? I'm not following you.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 07:48:41 pm »

What I do is this.
Goto the Color Editor/Advanced
Use the picker to pick a deep shadow area, then just pull down the saturation. I have done this on dark colored fur which sometimes has a blue tint.
Its trial and error finding the right hue but once you nail it, its effective.

Another way is to mask the area, then use the color picker tool, again pulling back the saturation. It'll keep you from affecting other areas.

forward06

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 04:24:29 am »

What I do is this.
Goto the Color Editor/Advanced
Use the picker to pick a deep shadow area, then just pull down the saturation. I have done this on dark colored fur which sometimes has a blue tint.
Its trial and error finding the right hue but once you nail it, its effective.

Another way is to mask the area, then use the color picker tool, again pulling back the saturation. It'll keep you from affecting other areas.

I have tried this, but without success. There is no control and selections are too rough...

I hope that PhaseOne will incorporate some sort of luminositi masking in the future versions, it guess it will help lot people to skip photoshop completely.

Davinci resolve HSL qualifier is very powerfull tool, it can be inspiration for future versions of C1 :)

af_ahoy

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 10:43:21 am »

Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to adjust colour with luminosity-based restrictions like you can with hue- and saturation-based restrictions in the Color Editor tool.

However, there is one way to do this using curves, somewhat unintuitively. Basically you lift the shadow portion of the RGB curve, then decrease the shadow portion of the Luma curve by the same amount, like this:

Here's an example image:

It's a little clumsy and limited in scope, alas.

It's also sort of the opposite of what I normally do, which is to apply an S-curve to the RGB channel and the reverse of that to the Luma curve, resulting in more saturated shadows and highlights.
Pages: [1]   Go Up