Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Dropping My X1D Order, Affirming My GFX Order  (Read 39789 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Re: Dropping My X1D Order, Affirming My GFX Order
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2017, 09:21:46 am »

I have the Fotodiox adapter for the GFX in hand (the one for Nikon). Now I just need the GFX. I also have the RR-90 remote for the GFX. I want to be able to fully test the camera and then either keep it or return it within the trial period. I hope I can keep it.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Manoli

« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2017, 09:31:58 am »

Hi Michael - out of curiosity, how much of the Fuji sensor are the Nikon FF lenses guess-timated to cover and will the adapter work with the newer /E incarnations , or is it strictly limited to /D and /G lenses?

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2017, 09:44:07 am »

Hi Michael - out of curiosity, how much of the Fuji sensor are the Nikon FF lenses guess-timated to cover and will the adapter work with the newer /E incarnations , or is it strictly limited to /D and /G lenses?

I have the adapter, but no the GFX. Of course, the FF lenses will vary depending on the size of their image circles, so the various PC lenses should work, etc. I am curious about the Otus lenses, which I have been told will work, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so I will wait until I can see for myself. Then, various LF lenses, etc. should work. I am trying to gather what I will need to test all this out. And I am waiting to hear from Nikon with the D810 replacement, as to the lowest ISO and the size of the photo-sites. A rumored 46 Mpx Nikon with low ISO and if they can get more light to those photo-sites, that would be a great camera... perhaps.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2017, 10:22:17 am »

Sorry – I guess I got us off topic with my Leica comment.  I’m sure most Leica users buy because the camera works for them but there are certainly some that buy to have a Leica or the latest camera.  I was really responding to the statement – “One thing is that pretty much of the purpose of buying into these flagship products is the fulfilment/pride of ownership of the best.”  I was just pointing out that a buying decision is often more complicated than that.  Buying the X1D or the GFX, for me, has little to do with pride of ownership but has a lot to do with weight --- just hike around with a XF100 for a few hours.

siddhaarta

« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2017, 10:34:40 am »

I have the adapter, but no the GFX. Of course, the FF lenses will vary depending on the size of their image circles, so the various PC lenses should work, etc. I am curious about the Otus lenses, which I have been told will work, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so I will wait until I can see for myself. Then, various LF lenses, etc. should work. I am trying to gather what I will need to test all this out. And I am waiting to hear from Nikon with the D810 replacement, as to the lowest ISO and the size of the photo-sites. A rumored 46 Mpx Nikon with low ISO and if they can get more light to those photo-sites, that would be a great camera... perhaps.

When you will test this adapter with Zeiss Otus lenses, would you be so kind to post some test photos. I am very interested to see which effective sensor surface can be used with Otus lenses without considerable loss of IQ.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2017, 10:44:04 am »

When you will test this adapter with Zeiss Otus lenses, would you be so kind to post some test photos. I am very interested to see which effective sensor surface can be used with Otus lenses without considerable loss of IQ.

What I do need to know, if anyone knows. Is when they make an adapter like this Fotodix, does that adapter amount to having a Nikon camera? I am sure not. How do I tell how much extension or lack thereof is provided by the adapter. That info would help.

siddhaarta

« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2017, 10:49:46 am »

What I do need to know, if anyone knows. Is when they make an adapter like this Fotodix, does that adapter amount to having a Nikon camera? I am sure not. How do I tell how much extension or lack thereof is provided by the adapter. That info would help.

I am quite sure, the measurement/extension is made for the Fuji GFX. I have a Fotodiox adapter for Hasselbald V lenses to mount on my Contax 645. Works perfectly. Infinite stays infinite. 

siddhaarta

« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2017, 10:53:56 am »

I am quite sure, the measurement/extension is made for the Fuji GFX. I have a Fotodiox adapter for Hasselbald V lenses to mount on my Contax 645. Works perfectly. Infinite stays infinite.

Or to be more exact: the flange focal distance of Fuji G mount is 26,7 mm, and for the Nikon F mount it is 46,5 mm. so the adapter should measure 19,8 mm.

Telecaster

« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2017, 03:45:40 pm »

No GFX for me, I don't feel the need but I like the concept.

I'm in "wait & see" mode. After cameras are in the hands of snappers for awhile, and any early gotchas are (presumably) dealt with, I'll take a more serious look.

-Dave-

vjbelle

« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2017, 04:25:48 pm »

I can't imagine that the adaptor wouldn't allow for infinity focus with Nikon lenses.  That isn't to say that the infinity 'Stop' couldn't be off a little in a particular lens but that's a lens defect and not an adaptor defect. 

Victor

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #150 on: February 21, 2017, 05:15:56 pm »

Back to the question on the Fotodiox adapters. 

From reading on their site I found this:

• If your lens does not have a manual aperture control ring, it will stop down to its smallest f/stop by default.

Does the adapter have any type of aperture  control?  If not you are basically limited to only the much older Nikkor glass with a manual ring, thus no G glass, and I assume the same is true for the M645 adapter.

Thanks

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #151 on: February 21, 2017, 10:54:31 pm »

you are basically limited to only the much older Nikkor glass with a manual ring, thus no G glass, and I assume the same is true for the M645 adapter.

Fortunately:
- the Otus have an aprture ring,
- there are quite a few lenses I use wide open most if the time (105mm f1.4, 70-200mm f2.8,...).

Cheers,
Bernard

algrove

« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2017, 01:00:16 pm »

After using and having been very pleased with the 645Z images (which uses the same or similar Sony 51MP sensor) either of these cameras will produce superb, easily malleable images.

The specifics for each platform are up to each of us to decide which works best for our needs.

Real world comparisons are going to be coming at us at a furious pace very soon. Great times.

Rdmax

« Reply #153 on: February 24, 2017, 09:16:48 pm »

Should I get a Leica or GFX... ?

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2017, 10:50:45 pm »

Depends. Which Leica and what are your requirements?

Rdmax

« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2017, 06:33:24 am »

Depends. Which Leica and what are your requirements?

2 words - Medium Format!

voidshatter

« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2017, 07:33:01 am »

2 words - Medium Format!

That is pretty vague and flexible! 45x30 and 44x33 are sometimes called mini-format, or enhanced 35mm format. Even 54x40 are sometimes joked as the APSC of 120 format. ;)

Seriously you ought to tell what you shoot or your shooting style otherwise it would be hard to receive useful advise.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2017, 11:12:39 am »

Hi,

My take is that if you want to make great pictures you would go with an up to date system having a good choice with excellent lenses. So, I would go with a system having a Sony sensor and than look at my needs.

I use an A7rII with Canon, Contax and Sony lenses. That works for me as I shoot on tripod and focus manually. Canon has some great lenses, but they lag a bit in dynamic range at low ISO.

With the A7rII you can use almost any lens ever made on the planet, except Leica M lenses. But Leica M lenses were not made for digital sensors, so using Leica M on digital is a compromise. Leica solves some of those issues with ultra thin cover glass and sensors designed to support M lenses, but that is still a compromise.

Best regards
Erik

Ps. Hasselblad, Phase One, Pentax, Fuji, Nikon all use Sony sensors. Canon and Leica have their own designs.

Erik Kaffehr

algrove

« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2017, 06:32:45 pm »

Should I get Leica or GFX?

A GFX system with about 3 new lenses can cost less than a Leica S007 body alone. Plus the GF lenses are new designs and we are led to believe good for 100MP use. Any S lens in the S system is a major outlay.

I now feel that Leica glass in about any class has been euqlalled or surpiassed by many other manufacturers.

Based on the service problems Leica is facing at least in the US, be careful what you buy.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2017, 09:39:03 pm »

Leica may have a lot of problems, but their recent glass being outclassed is not likely to be one of them.

Edmund

Should I get Leica or GFX?

A GFX system with about 3 new lenses can cost less than a Leica S007 body alone. Plus the GF lenses are new designs and we are led to believe good for 100MP use. Any S lens in the S system is a major outlay.

I now feel that Leica glass in about any class has been euqlalled or surpiassed by many other manufacturers.

Based on the service problems Leica is facing at least in the US, be careful what you buy.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up