Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dropping My X1D Order, Affirming My GFX Order  (Read 39790 times)

Rdmax

Re: Dropping My X1D Order, Affirming My GFX Order
« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2017, 11:23:40 pm »

The S lenses are incredible. Shame about the AF reliability...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2017, 05:59:56 am »

Hi,

I don't know about the Leica lenses. The only way to find out about a lens is to do a proper test and I have not done that.

I have seen some sample shots with the Hasselblad X1D 90 mm and that was awfully good and really needed a higher resolution sensor. The Fuji lenses are also calculated for 100 MP according to Fuji.

What I think had been noticed is that the Leica S lenses are not fully corrected for axial colour, leading purple fringing that can be eliminated sharp cut UV or IR filters, I don't recall which. Hopefully the Fuji and Hasselblad lenses are better corrected in that respect.

Leica has some sample images from the S2 on it's home page, one of them is the one shown in the enclosed image. The green fringing in out of focus areas is almost certainly axial chroma. Would I buy a large aperture lens for short DoF shooting I would try to get one with well corrected axial chroma. The Otus lenses are free of axial chroma and that has been a significant part of the design effort.

Best regards
Erik

Should I get Leica or GFX?

A GFX system with about 3 new lenses can cost less than a Leica S007 body alone. Plus the GF lenses are new designs and we are led to believe good for 100MP use. Any S lens in the S system is a major outlay.

I now feel that Leica glass in about any class has been euqlalled or surpiassed by many other manufacturers.

Based on the service problems Leica is facing at least in the US, be careful what you buy.
Erik Kaffehr

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2017, 09:39:39 am »

Erik, this is sensor-dependent as well, i believe.

Edmund

Hi,

I don't know about the Leica lenses. The only way to find out about a lens is to do a proper test and I have not done that.

I have seen some sample shots with the Hasselblad X1D 90 mm and that was awfully good and really needed a higher resolution sensor. The Fuji lenses are also calculated for 100 MP according to Fuji.

What I think had been noticed is that the Leica S lenses are not fully corrected for axial colour, leading purple fringing that can be eliminated sharp cut UV or IR filters, I don't recall which. Hopefully the Fuji and Hasselblad lenses are better corrected in that respect.

Leica has some sample images from the S2 on it's home page, one of them is the one shown in the enclosed image. The green fringing in out of focus areas is almost certainly axial chroma. Would I buy a large aperture lens for short DoF shooting I would try to get one with well corrected axial chroma. The Otus lenses are free of axial chroma and that has been a significant part of the design effort.

Best regards
Erik
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2017, 11:33:35 am »

Hi,

Diglloyd has demonstrated that the purple fringing can be eliminated UV or IR cut of filters. But the magenta, green fringing we see is very typical of axial chroma, so I would say it 100% a lens issue.

Jim Kasson has looked at some Leica lenses and studied axial chroma and he may have found Leica is a bit liberal in using the APO-designation:

http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/focus-shift-and-loca-in-the-leica-r-1002-8-apo-macro/

When I bought my A7rII I wanted a lens in the 70-90 mm interval that is virtually free from axial chroma, as I am a bit allergic to bokeh fringing. My choice was the Sony 90/2.8G macro. Jim found that is has very good behaviour regarding axial chroma:
http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/focus-shift-and-loca-in-the-sony-902-8-fe-macro/

These test were done on Jim's Sony A7rII, using the same sample of the same sensor.

I would be pretty sure that LoCa we see are lens issues and not sensor issues, but they could certainly be aggravated by weak filtering of IR and UV where correction of spherochromatism may be weak.

Best regards
Erik

Erik, this is sensor-dependent as well, i believe.

Edmund
Erik Kaffehr

algrove

« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2017, 01:55:49 pm »

For those of you who have not tried MF glass other than Leica S glass (I know once we select a system other systems have no or little interest any longer) you might be surprised at how those S lenses, though good today, are not the only good glass as many other MF lenses are great glass with much more modern designs.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 06:31:53 pm by algrove »

stonebird

• Travel and Wild Photographer
« Reply #165 on: March 01, 2017, 02:55:05 am »

I am waiting my GFX......
Alpa MAX • WA • STC • TC | Arca RM3DI | HR23 HR32 HR50 | SK120AA SK210 | IQ250 • P45+ | Travel and Wild Photographer
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up