Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer profiles: When white isn't white  (Read 3540 times)

Daverich

Re: Printer profiles: When white isn't white
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 04:58:43 pm »

Probably not the answer but my Epson 4800 will print a very light tone in the border area if I save my profiles as V4 instead of V2.

Doug Gray

Re: Printer profiles: When white isn't white
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 05:59:48 pm »

Probably not the answer but my Epson 4800 will print a very light tone in the border area if I save my profiles as V4 instead of V2.

Interesting. Out of curiosity I tried a V4 profile on both a 9500 and 9800 and there is no border tinting. But I'm using a Windows OS.

I've checked V4 profiles from I1Profiler to see what differences exist with V2 ones. Relative Colorimetric is identical but Perceptual is not. It uses a shifted set of 3DLUTs which map L=3.1 to L=0. Apparently because that's the spec for Perc. using the PRMG. However, it prints RGB (255,255,255) to the same as V2 for both Perc and Rel.

However, Photoshop adjusts for the V4 profile mapping which implies yet another conversion algorithm. I can't speak to how this is implemented in IOS but I don't see any functional differences in Windows with PS ACE.

I've sometimes looked for, been unable to find, and have considered, implementing a printer command stream parser. Then I can just capture the data stream going to the printer with Wireshark to see what is being printed and bypass any strangeness in the various Apps and OS/driver issues.  I have not done so because I've just never had a problem either printing images using PS to manage color or patch targets which bypass everything. And since I can print patch targets in PS by using the kluge of assigning a printer profile to the patch image I have no need to go down that rabbit hole.

Likely the safest thing to do is just continue to use V2 profiles. The last V2 spec defines them pretty well and V4 really only buys something when you go from one device profile to another through a PRMG or a link profile. This is not something I do nor something Photoshop does.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up