Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro-1000, updated media information: What is an A-variant?  (Read 4005 times)

henrikolsen

Canon Pro-1000, updated media information: What is an A-variant?
« on: February 06, 2017, 04:32:04 am »

For the Canon Pro-1000 I notice some 'A'-variants as media types via updated Media Information for the Media Configuration Tool (MCT).

Updates mentioned these added media types. Notice the postfix 'A' on them.

- Photo Paper Plus Glossy II A
- Lightweight Photo Paper A
- Heavyweight Photo Paper A
- Photo Paper Pro Premium Matte A

These coexist with non-A-variants, e.g. both "Heavyweight Photo Paper A" and "Heavyweight Photo Paper" exist.

Does anyone know the difference? I haven't seen it documented anywhere, and haven't noticed a difference in MCT. I would like to know of any difference when deciding on a base media type for custom paper configurations and profiling.

howardm

Re: Canon Pro-1000, updated media information: What is an A-variant?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 08:44:00 am »

From what I have gleaned from others, the A variants allow more control over the application of Chroma Optimizer on the paper.  I think A is for 'Automatic' but YMMV.

henrikolsen

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 05:41:26 am »

Regarding the A-variant, Canon Europe has given this reply

--

The reason why some media have a Capital “A” (e.g. Canon Photo Pro Premium Matte A) at the end of the naming is as follows.

The prescription or formulation of media sometimes needed to be changed due to unexpected reason such as discontinuation of coating material, or so on after launching printer.
This change sometimes requires new profiles or calibration target although most of the case the difference between old and new media is not so big
CINC would like to differentiate new from old one, therefore, they create new media profile with new naming with “A” at the end of the media name.
This naming convention comes from consumer product group in Tokyo, who developed PRO-1000. Because PRO-2000 & 4000 need to have a consistent naming as PRO-1000, we have some media whose name have “A” at the end.

I would recommend for your customer for those media where a 2nd media with uppercase A at the end exists, to activate that media and to remove the original media in the media file.

--

It makes sense for specific papers where coating etc might change over time.

It does not include an explanation to what A types might mean for base paper choices in setting up custom media in MCT. That would be nice to know.

henrikolsen

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 03:20:08 pm »

Regarding custom media types in MCT and the A-variants, I today stumbled upon this:

"When you create custom paper using paper with "A" in the name, the created media information can be used for PRO-2000 and PRO-4000 printers as well, by using the export function."

Found in the manual for the "imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 series ICC Profile for Supporting the Other Companies’ Media (Mac)" (icc_-mac-pro_1000_500-1_0_2-ea10_3.dmg).
Pages: [1]   Go Up