Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Color Problem  (Read 1610 times)

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
Auto Color Problem
« on: February 06, 2017, 01:56:18 am »

I hardly ever use auto color, tone or contrast but when I tried it recently it causes the image I have used it on to
go solid white. Does the same thing on any image. Is anybody familiar with this and have a solution? I am using
PSCC 2017 on a mac.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
Re: Auto Color Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 02:17:39 am »

I tried it a couple of times, never found it useful though. Never saved me time, in fact made me waste more. When I tried all three auto corrections at the same time, results were very dramatic in a bad way, so I'm not surprised by your findings.

When I have to do extensive color and contrast correction on a photo I convert the layer to smart object and use the Camera Raw filter on it. Smart objects let you apply any filter in a non destructive way, so you can always alter them later. If you have a lot of other layers there will be limitations, but for single layer photos it's like using Lightroom (well, sort of).

Otherwise you can use a curve adjustment layer, which is also a non destructive way to change color balance and contrast in the scene. The advantage of this is that you can use layer masks and stack adjustment layers.
Instagram (updated often)

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 02:31:06 pm »

I tried it a couple of times, never found it useful though. Never saved me time, in fact made me waste more. When I tried all three auto corrections at the same time, results were very dramatic in a bad way, so I'm not surprised by your findings.

When I have to do extensive color and contrast correction on a photo I convert the layer to smart object and use the Camera Raw filter on it. Smart objects let you apply any filter in a non destructive way, so you can always alter them later. If you have a lot of other layers there will be limitations, but for single layer photos it's like using Lightroom (well, sort of).

Otherwise you can use a curve adjustment layer, which is also a non destructive way to change color balance and contrast in the scene. The advantage of this is that you can use layer masks and stack adjustment layers.

I also use camera raw on a layer most of the time for color correction. I rarely use the auto controls except if it's a damaged image that needs restoration and I will give it the auto treatment first just to see where it takes me. If that fails to get me started I will go manual.

As stated before, the auto color fills the image with solid white....that's obviously a bug of some kind.

kirkt

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 10:12:49 am »

I just tried AutoColor after converting a raw file in ACR into PS and then applying AutoColor on the resulting (background) image.  It works a expected (Mac Pro, Sierra, PSCC2017).

What are your color settings in PS?

Have you tried turning off using the Graphics Processor?

kirk
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 10:20:13 am by kirkt »

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 05:51:05 pm »

I contacted Adobe and they had me turn off the Graphic Processor with no change. They ended up resetting PS preferences and that remedied the problem. Thanks for your suggestions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up