Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metz "potato-masher" flashes (Metz 45 CL-4 and 45 CT-5) problem UPDATED  (Read 2632 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers

Further research on the problems described below reveals:

On the 45 CT-5, the problem is due to the batteries in the individually rechargeable battery pack only being good for about 20 full power flashes even when recharged overnight. My older sealed rechargeable battery pack lasts longer.

I am using Maha Powerex 2700mAh units stamped “15-09 TT”, which I assume means they were made in 2015. I bought them in 2016, about six months ago.

Assuming I should get more than 20 full power flashes from this pack, does anyone have recommendations for any other make/model of batteries?

On the 45 CL-4, when I press the test button, the OK light blinks red, no matter which battery pack is in. I presume this means the tube has failed?

Any other ideas?
Roger

Initial Problems
I have been using the above flashguns recently with my Hasselblad H2 and Linhof Techno cameras and a PhaseOne IQ 180 sensor unit.

The flashes worked fine but both have died within a day of each other.  Both units seem to receive power but pushing the test buttons and firing them from the cameras do not produce flashes. Removing the sync cables makes no difference.

When I use the flashes with the H2, the unit is plugged into the sync socket on the H2. When using the flashes with the Techno, the flashes are plugged into the socket on the sensor unit.

Any ideas why the flashguns don't work? It seems unlikely for two flashguns to fail within a day of each other.
Roger
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:57:23 pm by rogerxnz »
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
Re: Metz "potato-masher" flashes (Metz 45 CL-4 and 45 CT-5) problem UPDATED
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 03:52:57 am »

Along with a friend of mine we share four Metz 45 CT-1. Never had the red blink light, might be the tube but also an internal cap that is blown. If you know a good technician you could get it checked.

We often have to clean the contacts, especially the ones inside the grip that touch the battery packs. Even with good care they tend to get dirt or oxidize creating issues.

As for rechargeable batteries we only use Eneloop Pro. The Metz pack doesn't last long. If you know a friend with Eneloop Pro take them for a spin and see if your issue is just the need for better batteries. We found them to be more consistent in the discharge rate, working even when very little juice is left, compared to other brands (even higher rated ones).
Instagram (updated often)
Pages: [1]   Go Up