Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 915253 times)

James Clark

Re: Trump II
« Reply #5120 on: August 16, 2017, 10:40:00 pm »

you have no issues with slave owning "founding fathers" who did not bother about women's rights...

... Or the rights of those who didn't own property.   The founders of the United States created a document that reaches for an ideal, even if they didn't always live by those ideals.  Fortunately over time we've become more enlightened, though there's still far to go, and some want to go backward. What's your point again?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5121 on: August 16, 2017, 10:41:53 pm »

why single out GW ? there plenty of others whose memory shall be dealt with like w/ those statues...

I played your game and mentioned our 1st president and looked up his position regarding slaves and learned something. Go play in the street now...

Schewe

« Reply #5122 on: August 16, 2017, 10:48:34 pm »

Trump is shooting himself in the foot.

Trump is sabotaging himself by attacking the media after Charlottesville

President Trump first asked reporters to define the "alt-right," before saying members of the "alt-left" were also to blame for violence in Charlottesville, while taking questions from reporters on Aug. 15 at Trump Tower in New York.

What would possess the president of the United States, after he finally called out white supremacists Monday, to return a day later to the flimsy position that attracted so much criticism  in the first place? Part of the answer is that he hates the media and just can't stand to give reporters what they want — or admit that he was wrong.

--snipp--

Contempt for the press is, however, ruining Trump's judgment. Whatever he truly believes, the president made an unforced error  Tuesday by again spreading blame for the violence in Charlottesville. No adviser would recommend such a move. I mean that literally.

Trump was not scheduled to answer reporters' questions in New York. The Washington Post's Ashley Parker and David Nakamura reported that the president's decision to engage — angrily — with the press “caught senior aides watching from the lobby by surprise.”

The New York Times's Glenn Thrush and Maggie Haberman reported that “members of the president's staff, stunned and disheartened, said they never expected to hear such a voluble articulation of opinions that the president had long expressed in private.”

This was Trump, furious at the media, freelancing in self-destructive fashion.

The worry is that Trump's freelancing self-destructive fashion will leave our country without a functioning leader.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5123 on: August 16, 2017, 11:02:32 pm »

The President says what half of the county thinks.

James Clark

« Reply #5124 on: August 16, 2017, 11:11:33 pm »

Well that's not good. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5125 on: August 16, 2017, 11:17:17 pm »

Speaking of unity... the country is 100% united that what happened in Charlotteville is unacceptable. Except, 50% thinks it is unacceptable that other people can say things they do not like, and the other 50% thinks it is unacceptable to attack free speech with baseball bats.

Schewe

« Reply #5126 on: August 16, 2017, 11:20:37 pm »

And about Trump's "Alt-Left"?

Yes, What About the “Alt-Left”?
By Dahlia Lithwick

What the counter-protesters Trump despises were actually doing in Charlottesville last weekend.

On Tuesday, after a weekend that included a white supremacist mowing down and killing a peaceful counter-protester in Charlottesville and Nazis marching on the University of Virginia with torches, the president of the United States stood in front of the American people and said, “What about the ‘alt-left’ that came charging at, as you say, the ‘alt-right’? Let me ask you this: What about the fact they came charging—that they came charging with clubs in their hands, swinging clubs? Do they have any problem? I think they do.”

There were, as it turns out, a great number of Charlottesville locals present to witness the violence and lawlessness on display in this town—my town—last weekend. I asked local witnesses, many in the faith community, every one of whom was on the streets of Charlottesville on Saturday, whether there was a violent, club-wielding mob threatening the good people on team Nazi. Here’s what I heard back:

Brandy Daniels
Postdoctoral fellow at the Luce Project on Religion and Its Publics at UVA

It was basically impossible to miss the antifa for the group of us who were on the steps of Emancipation Park in an effort to block the Nazis and alt-righters from entering. Soon after we got to the steps and linked arms, a group of white supremacists—I’m guessing somewhere between 20-45 of them—came up with their shields and batons and bats and shoved through us. We tried not to break the line, but they got through some of us—it was terrifying, to say the least—shoving forcefully with their shields and knocking a few folks over. We strengthened our resolve and committed to not break the line again. Some of the anarchists and anti-fascist folks came up to us and asked why we let them through and asked what they could do to help. Rev. Osagyefo Sekou talked with them for a bit, explaining what we were doing and our stance and asking them to not provoke the Nazis. They agreed quickly and stood right in front of us, offering their help and protection.

Less than 10 minutes later, a much larger group of the Nazi alt-righters come barreling up. My memory is again murky on the details. (I was frankly focused on not bolting from the scene and/or not soiling myself—I know hyperbole is common in recounting stories like these, but I was legitimately very worried for my well-being and safety, so I was trying to remember the training I had acquired as well as, for resolve, to remember why I was standing there.) But it had to have been at least 100 of them this go around. I recall feeling like I was going to pass out and was thankful that I was locked arms with folks so that I wouldn’t fall to the ground before getting beaten. I knew that the five anarchists and antifa in front of us and the 20 or so of us were no match for the 100-plus of them, but at this point I wasn’t letting go.

At that point, more of the anarchists and antifa milling nearby saw the huge mob of the Nazis approach and stepped in. They were about 200-300 feet away from us and stepped between us (the clergy and faith leaders) and the Nazis. This enraged the Nazis, who indeed quickly responded violently. At this point, Sekou made a call that it was unsafe—it had gotten very violent very fast—and told us to disperse quickly.

While one obviously can’t objectively say what a kind of alternate reality or “sliding doors”–type situation would have been, one can hypothesize or theorize. Based on what was happening all around, the looks on their faces, the sheer number of them, and the weapons they were wielding, my hypothesis or theory is that had the antifa not stepped in, those of us standing on the steps would definitely have been injured, very likely gravely so. On Democracy Now, Cornel West, who was also in the line with us, said that he felt that the antifa saved his life. I didn’t roll my eyes at that statement or see it as an exaggeration—I saw it as a very reasonable hypothesis based on the facts we had.

Rabbi Rachel Schmelkin
Congregation Beth Israel

There was a group of antifa defending First United Methodist Church right outside in their parking lot, and at one point the white supremacists came by and antifa chased them off with sticks.

Rebekah Menning
Charlottesville resident

I stood with a group of interfaith clergy and other people of faith in a nonviolent direct action meant to keep the white nationalists from entering the park to their hate rally. We had far fewer people holding the line than we had hoped for, and frankly, it wasn’t enough. No police officers in sight (that I could see from where I stood), and we were prepared to be beaten to a bloody pulp to show that while the state permitted white nationalists to rally in hate, in the many names of God, we did not. But we didn’t have to because the anarchists and anti-fascists got to them before they could get to us. I’ve never felt more grateful and more ashamed at the same time. The antifa were like angels to me in that moment.

So, that description of what the "Alt-Left" was doing sounds a bit different that the description that Trump mentioned. It seems that what the Alt-Left was doing was defending the peaceful anti-hate and anti white supremacist protestors....

We got snippets of video that was poorly edited is it was edited at all. It seemed to me the the networks were just streaming the stuff as it came in.

It was confusing-particularly videos and photos of the Fri nite march. That's what Trump saw too...it didn't really sink in until I saw the VICE news video that it really hit home.

Charlottesville: Race and Terror – VICE News Tonight on HBO

"You will not replace us!"
"Jews will not replace us!"
"Blood and soil!"
"Whose streets? Our Streets!"
"White lives matter!"

Schewe

« Reply #5127 on: August 16, 2017, 11:23:17 pm »

The President says what half of the county thinks.

Actually, it's far less than 50% dooode...he's at 34% approval and dropping and remember he was elected with only 27% of the eligible voters voting for him.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5128 on: August 16, 2017, 11:28:51 pm »

This idea that Obama is somehow responsible for worsening the racial divide by daring to acknowledge systemic racism is seriously repugnant...

What is truly repugnant is peddling "systemic racism," slavery, and Jim Crow at the very funeral where five cops were shot by a BLM member inspired by Obama's previous peddling of the "systemic racism," slavery, and Jim Crow.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5129 on: August 16, 2017, 11:34:48 pm »

Actually, it's far less than 50% dooode...he's at 34% approval and dropping and remember he was elected with only 27% of the eligible voters voting for him.

Here we go again... the same polls that never gave him a chance. And his opponent also had "only" 27% votes. People simply do not tell the truth to an anonymous caller. The only time people speak the truth is in the privacy of the voting booth.

Schewe

« Reply #5130 on: August 16, 2017, 11:38:22 pm »

Aaaah, Mr. Snowflake White Supremacist Chris Cantwell that sounded so bad-ass on the VICE News segment posted a video to his Facebook page in tears, TEARS I tell you...

White Supremacist Cries After Realizing He Could Be Arrested

Christopher Cantwell recorded this video after being featured in a documentary on the Charlottesville violence.

Christopher Cantwell, the vocal white supremacist featured in VICE News Tonight‘s Charlottesville documentary, showed a different side of himself after he realized that law enforcement had issued a warrant for his arrest. Cantwell recorded a video that quickly circulated on social media, showing him crying in fear that the police might hurt him.

American Terrorist Christopher Cantwell balls his eyes out
4:46

I gotta tell you, the dichotomy between this guy on the VICE video and his crybaby video is almost too perfect. Are Alt-Right White Supremacists really a bunch of cry babies? But them I remember the VICE video where he brags about how many guns he has and realize these kind of people are even MORE dangerous because they whimpy cowards that just act tough.

James Clark

« Reply #5131 on: August 16, 2017, 11:38:38 pm »

What is truly repugnant is peddling "systemic racism," slavery, and Jim Crow at the very funeral where five cops were shot by a BLM member inspired by Obama's previous peddling of the "systemic racism," slavery, and Jim Crow.

Right.  A tasteless display at a funeral, disrespectful as it may be, is FAR more repugnant than generations of people harassed, beaten, killed and imprisioned due to the color of their skin.    And the temerity of a black president daring to address that legacy... utterly reprehensible. 

Don't be stupid. If you've bothered to explore even a cursory bit of the effects of systemic bias I can't believe you'd make such a goofy comparison.   Here are Obama's incindiary words, by the way.  What's your problem with this message, exactly?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:53:40 pm by James Clark »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5132 on: August 16, 2017, 11:38:55 pm »

Excellent, Alan.  You've finally revealed the true you.
Yup.  You got me pegged.  I favor Melania over Hillary. But that doesn't make me a bad guy does it?  :)

James Clark

« Reply #5133 on: August 16, 2017, 11:40:06 pm »

Here we go again... the same polls that never gave him a chance. And his opponent also had "only" 27% votes. People simply do not tell the truth to an anonymous caller. The only time people speak the truth is in the privacy of the voting booth.

Shame and embarrassment can do that to a person.

Schewe

« Reply #5134 on: August 16, 2017, 11:46:08 pm »

Yeah, well just don't say he represents 1/2 the country because that's a lie. He represents a minority that is growing smaller each time he opens his mouth.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5135 on: August 16, 2017, 11:53:34 pm »

Right.  A tasteless display at a funeral, disrespectful as it may be, is FAR more repugnant than generations of people harassed, beaten, killed and imprisioned due to the color of their skin.    And the temerity of a black president daring to address that legacy... utterly reprehensible. 

Don't be stupid. If you've bothered to explore even a cursory bit of the effects of systemic bias I can't believe you'd make such a goofy comparison.
It's not the tasteless display at the funeral that is repugnant.  Rather, it's the fact that 5 cops were killed that's repugnant.  And you justify those killings because other repugnant acts against blacks occurred in the past?  Your justification is repugnant and the reason these things happen because you say that its OK to killed pig cops because of what happened to others.  You're dangerous.   And Obama who attacked cops who were later exonerated, in effect gave license and approval for nut job blacks to assassinate other cops as what happened in Texas, Brooklyn and elsewhere.  Obama was a disgrace for doing that.  Instead of encouraging the legal system to play out, he went out of his way to attack cops.  Pit them against blacks.  And that's part of the reason for the response of nut jobs on the right now.  Race relations went down during the Obama administration instead of being more resolved especially when so many white people went out of their way to give him, the first black man, the presidency for not one but two terms.  Obama blew it and continued to play the race card for power for himself and other Democrats.  What he did was criminal. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5136 on: August 17, 2017, 12:05:31 am »

... Don't be stupid....

After calling me stupid, what's next? Baseball bat?

James Clark

« Reply #5137 on: August 17, 2017, 12:09:44 am »

After calling me stupid, what's next? Baseball bat?

::) You're not stupid.  Your comparison was stupid. Don't be such a snowflake.

James Clark

« Reply #5138 on: August 17, 2017, 12:17:01 am »

It's not the tasteless display at the funeral that is repugnant.  Rather, it's the fact that 5 cops were killed that's repugnant.  And you justify those killings because other repugnant acts against blacks occurred in the past?  Your justification is repugnant and the reason these things happen because you say that its OK to killed pig cops because of what happened to others.  You're dangerous.   And Obama who attacked cops who were later exonerated, in effect gave license and approval for nut job blacks to assassinate other cops as what happened in Texas, Brooklyn and elsewhere.  Obama was a disgrace for doing that.  Instead of encouraging the legal system to play out, he went out of his way to attack cops.  Pit them against blacks.  And that's part of the reason for the response of nut jobs on the right now.  Race relations went down during the Obama administration instead of being more resolved especially when so many white people went out of their way to give him, the first black man, the presidency for not one but two terms.  Obama blew it and continued to play the race card for power for himself and other Democrats.  What he did was criminal.

1) I never did and never would condone, endorse, justify or do anything other than express disgust at the execution of innocent officers, civilians or anyone else.  I'm not the one who brought up BLM in the first place, and my relationship with that specific group is far more complex than I could possibly express adequately.

2) Blaming Obama for propegatng racial animus is like blaming the Underground Railroad for poor treatment of slaves because hey, if they didn't try to escape, there wouldn't have been so many beatings, right?  Just stop. 

Farmer

« Reply #5139 on: August 17, 2017, 01:03:36 am »

especially when so many white people went out of their way to give him

How lucky for him that so many white people deigned to lower themselves to vote for him.

Who gives a fuck about the colour of someone's skin?
Phil Brown
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 331   Go Up