Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 916447 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Trump II
« Reply #3840 on: June 25, 2017, 08:10:25 pm »

Actually, he is...even the name Pocahontas generally refers to a historical myth...

Damn, you, Jeff!

What' next? You are going to tell me that Santa is not real? That Disney was the real progenitor of fake news?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3841 on: June 25, 2017, 08:13:56 pm »

Actually, he is...even the name Pocahontas generally refers to a historical myth with racist overtones...in case you are unfamiliar with the REAL "Pocahontas" whose birth name was actually Matoaka, here's a story about the historical sad reality...and if you know the real story of Pocahontas you would understand why native Americans find the use of the name to describe Warren as racist...and so should you. (I'll be you don't real the whole story :~)

The True Story of Pocahontas: Historical Myths Versus Sad Reality

It's interesting that you didn't even consider the insult to Indians when Elizabeth Warren, a white woman,  passed herself off as an Indian woman, like Pocahontas, to gain minority advantage of their race. I didn't know the Pocahontas story that you describe, or do most Americans or Disney for that matter.  But, that name is the only name that  99% of Americans associate with a Indian woman.  I can't think of any others, off hand.  So when Trump calls Warren Pocahontas, we immediately understand the point he is making about Warren who usurped another race's identity for her own personal gain.   She's the one who insulted the Indians.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #3842 on: June 25, 2017, 09:46:43 pm »

II didn't know the Pocahontas story that you describe, or do most Americans or Disney for that matter.  But, that name is the only name that  99% of Americans associate with a Indian woman.  I can't think of any others, off hand.

Sacagawea (1788-1812).  Significant contributor to the Lewis and Clark expedition.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3843 on: June 25, 2017, 11:29:44 pm »

+1

Not a single lie there.

In the NYT article?  Really?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3844 on: June 25, 2017, 11:35:43 pm »

She falsely identified as a Native American for personal gain.

And you know this how?

The funny thing is that Scott Brown tried that same line on her back in the 2012 Senate race and was awarded "Two Pinocchios" for the claim...Scott lost BTW.

Did Elizabeth Warren check the Native American box when she ‘applied’ to Harvard and Penn?

The Pinocchio Test

Brown said that Warren “checked the box claiming she was Native American” when she applied to Harvard and Penn, suggesting the Democratic candidate somehow gained an unfair advantage because of an iffy ethnic background. But there is no proof that she ever marked a form to tell the schools about her heritage, nor is there any public evidence that the universities knew about her lineage before hiring her.

The senator’s debate comments also suggest Warren actively applied for positions with Harvard and Penn, but the evidence suggests the schools recruited her because of her groundbreaking research and writings on bankruptcy. Harvard, in fact, did not give up on her after she first turned down a tenured position with the university.

Some might assume that Warren listed herself as a minority in the law school directories to attract offers from top schools, which would be a pro-active measure. The explanation that she was reaching out to other Native Americans — when she was merely listed as a “minority” — certainly appears suspicious, but there is no conclusive evidence that she used her status in the listing to land a job.

But Warren appears to have been well-qualified for the teaching positions and excelled once she was hired.

The Fact Checker expects accusers to satisfy the burden of proof for their charges. That was the case when Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said that GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney tried to avoid taxes with offshore accounts. We awarded four Pinocchios to Reid because the senator lacked conclusive evidence — or much evidence at all, for that matter. We’ve also knocked the Obama campaign repeatedly for jumping to unwarranted conclusions about Mitt Romney’s record at Bain Capital.

The outstanding questions about Warren’s directory listing — and her relying on family lore rather than official documentation to make an ethnic claim — certainly raise serious concerns about Warren’s judgment. But in the debate, the Republican incumbent conflated conjecture and sketchy information to make a claim not supported by the available evidence, and so he earns Two Pinocchios.

Trump is using the Pocahontas tag as a way of belittling Warren. It's simply base, mean hearted nastiness with racist and sexist overtones–something Trump does all the time and seems to get away with. But it's something that the President of the United States of America should have the class to avoid...

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3845 on: June 25, 2017, 11:49:22 pm »

...it's something that the President of the United States of America should have the class to avoid...

No effing kidding.

Schewe

« Reply #3846 on: June 26, 2017, 12:01:58 am »

And, just to be clear, Trump used the "Pocahontas" line as a way of side stepping to avoid answering a question in his Fox Infomercial interview this morning...

Donald Trump responds to Elizabeth Warren’s claim that ‘people will die’ due to Republican health care bill

President Donald Trump pictured during a rally in Cedar Rapids, Iowa last week.   –Charlie Neibergall / AP

They’re at it again.

In response to Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s strongly worded criticism of the Senate Republican health care bill, President Donald Trump shot back at the Massachusetts senator in a Fox News interview Sunday.

Trump was asked about Warren’s claim that “people will die” due to the recently unveiled bill. He responded with some familiar ad hominem attacks.
-----------
“Well, I actually think she’s a hopeless case. I call her Pocahontas, and that’s an insult to Pocahontas. I actually think that she is just somebody who has got a lot of hatred, a lot anger.

I don’t think she has the kind of support that some people do. I think she hurt Hillary [Clinton]. I watched her campaigning for Hillary, and she was so angry. Hillary would be sitting back, listening to her, trying to smile, but there were a lot of people in that audience that were going ‘Wow, is this what we want?’ There’s a lot of anger there and hostility.”

-----------

Trump did not address or dispute Warren’s criticism of the legislation, which would significantly cut Medicaid and roll back many aspects of the Affordable Care Act.

“I think she’s a highly overrated voice,” he added, including Warren (not for the first time) on the long list of other people and things he thinks are “overrated.”

Actually, you really should click on that list of "overrated" people...it's kinda like a who's who of people that get's on Trump's nerves. And we all know that Trump always lashes out whenever he's attacked and feels threatened...and powerful women threaten Trump. And, sadly, I'm pretty sure people will end up getting less healthcare and most likely will result in people dying who might otherwise had be able to survive.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3847 on: June 26, 2017, 12:37:51 am »

Sacagawea (1788-1812).  Significant contributor to the Lewis and Clark expedition.
Of course, I forgot about her.  Now she wasn;t abused was she. Maybe Trump should call Warren Sacagawea?

Schewe

« Reply #3848 on: June 26, 2017, 12:47:28 am »

Trump really only has himself to blame for all the self inflicted injuries...

Trump’s Deflections and Denials on Russia Frustrate Even His Allies

The lectern before President Trump spoke on Friday in the East Room of the White House.
He has refused to acknowledge that Russia orchestrated hacking during last year’s election.
Credit Al Drago for The New York Times

In the span of 72 hours, President Trump described the email hacking that roiled the 2016 campaign as a Democratic “hoax” and as clear aggression by Russia that his predecessor, President Barack Obama, failed to address.

Other times, Mr. Trump has said the hacking might have been done by China.

Or, as he claimed during the first general election debate, the hacking could have been the work of a lone wolf weighing 400 pounds, sitting on his bed at home.

Then there was the time Mr. Trump blamed “some guy in his home in New Jersey.”

Or, as Mr. Trump has also suggested, there might not even have been hacking at all…

On Saturday, Mr. Trump tried again to focus attention on Mr. Obama.

“Since the Obama Administration was told way before the 2016 Election that the Russians were meddling, why no action?” Mr. Trump wrote on Twitter. “Focus on them, not T!”

The sad thing for Trump supporters in particular and the GOP in general, is by refusing to admit Russia is to blame and to say it's in the US's best interest to investigate the interference and take steps to avoid a repeat, he gives credence to his critics and gives incentives to his enemies to push all the investigations even harder.

Imagine if Trump had actually accepted what the intelligence community told him and said that a full investigation was in order and then moved on with his agenda and ignored all the intrigue and innuendo and actually used his twitter to move forward instead of being fixated looking backwards about the election.

But no...he tried to influence the investigation of Flynn, belittled the intelligence community which fought back and defended itself. He fired Comey and was surprised the Democrats were upset and ended up prompting Comey to testify which prompted the deputy attorney general Rod J. Rosenstein to hire a special council to investigate stuff Trump really, REALLY doesn't want investigated...

Any way you look at it, Trump has played this whole thing terribly poorly. He's a novice...he's a 71 year old rookie trying to learn governing on the fly by the seat of his pants. He's made everything worse and done very little if anything right.

Schewe

« Reply #3849 on: June 26, 2017, 01:18:06 am »

It's a bit old but with Trump talking about Obama using Trump's own word "mean" I thought this was appropoe.

Obama’s Barrage of Complete Sentences Seen as Brutal Attack on Trump

PHOTOGRAPH BY SCOTT OLSON / GETTY

By Andy Borowitz April 24, 2017

CHICAGO (The Borowitz Report)—In an appearance at the University of Chicago on Monday, former President Barack Obama unloaded a relentless barrage of complete sentences in what was widely seen as a brutal attack on his successor, Donald Trump. Appearing at his first public event since leaving office, Obama fired off a punishing fusillade of grammatically correct sentences, the likes of which the American people have not heard from the White House since he departed.

“He totally restricted his speech to complete sentences,” Tracy Klugian, a student at the event, said. “It was the most vicious takedown of Trump I’d ever seen.”

“About five or six sentences in, I noticed that all of his sentences had both nouns and verbs in them,” Carol Foyler, another student, said. “I couldn’t believe he was going after Trump like that.”

Obama’s blistering deployment of complete sentences clearly got under the skin of their intended target, who, moments after the event, responded with an angry tweet: “Obama bad (or sick) guy. Failing. Sad!”

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3850 on: June 26, 2017, 08:40:36 am »

Trump really only has himself to blame ...

Imagine if Trump had actually accepted what the intelligence community told him and said that a full investigation was in order and then moved on with his agenda and ignored all the intrigue and innuendo and actually used his twitter to move forward instead of being fixated looking backwards about the election.

But no...he tried to influence the investigation of Flynn, belittled the intelligence community which fought back and defended itself. He fired Comey and was surprised the Democrats were upset and ended up prompting Comey to testify which prompted the deputy attorney general Rod J. Rosenstein to hire a special council to investigate stuff Trump really, REALLY doesn't want investigated...

Any way you look at it, Trump has played this whole thing terribly poorly. He's a novice...he's a 71 year old rookie trying to learn governing on the fly by the seat of his pants. He's made everything worse and done very little if anything right.
Well,  if he did these things you suggest,  you and the democrats still would be attacking him.   After all,  there is now an independent special investigator Mueller looking into all these things.   But you still allude to collusion instead of moving on to real issues the country has.    So Trump knows he's in a real battle and will continue to attack back to defend himself.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3851 on: June 26, 2017, 09:00:21 am »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3852 on: June 26, 2017, 09:19:47 am »

Well,  if he did these things you suggest,  you and the democrats still would be attacking him.   After all,  there is now an independent special investigator Mueller looking into all these things.   But you still allude to collusion instead of moving on to real issues the country has.    So Trump knows he's in a real battle and will continue to attack back to defend himself.

Yes he attacks and insults everybody in person while they are trying to address some political choices that are made by Trump and the republican party.
He feels personally attacked while people are attacking government policy.

The subject is not about Elizabeth Warren, but about the Senate Republican health care bill.
Nonetheless also here a complete page of posts about 'Pocahontas'- diverging from the subject.

I cannot remember one president that made personal insults like that and Mr Trump - the president of the USA, does it on a daily basis.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3853 on: June 26, 2017, 11:04:34 am »

Yes he attacks and insults everybody in person while they are trying to address some political choices that are made by Trump and the republican party.
He feels personally attacked while people are attacking government policy.

The subject is not about Elizabeth Warren, but about the Senate Republican health care bill.
Nonetheless also here a complete page of posts about 'Pocahontas'- diverging from the subject.

I cannot remember one president that made personal insults like that and Mr Trump - the president of the USA, does it on a daily basis.
Elizabeth Warren, a Senator, one of only 100 in the world,  effectively linked Trump to murder ("people will die") for trying to get new health care legislation done before Obamacare goes bankrupt.  Thousands of people have been losing their medical coverage as insurance companies have been pulling out of Obamacare because they are losing money.   So he punched back reminding the world that Elizabeth Warren stole someone else's race for her own personal advantage.  Who's insulting whom depends on where you stand. 

I'm sorry you don't like our president.   
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:18:40 am by Alan Klein »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3854 on: June 26, 2017, 11:27:39 am »

Trump wins the travel ban in the Supreme Court unless the foreign national has a close relationship with an American.  All others will be barred for 90 days from the 6 nations on the list.  Ban goes into effect in 72 hours.  Let's watch how the liberal media spins this. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/supreme-court-allows-limited-version-of-trumps-travel-ban-to-take-effect-will-consider-case-in-fall/2017/06/26/97afa314-573e-11e7-b38e-35fd8e0c288f_story.html

scyth

« Reply #3855 on: June 26, 2017, 11:34:29 am »

unless the foreign national has a close relationship with an American. 

so people colluding with Trump are excluded... a wise decision !

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3856 on: June 26, 2017, 11:47:25 am »

Here's the full opinion of the COurt,
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/16-1436_l6hc.pdf

Interesting that I read nothing about what Trump said regarding his reasons that liberals and the biased media made such a big deal out of calling him a bigot.  Nor did I read any opinion how the "establish clause" of the Constitution regarding religious rights of Muslims or other religious groups, had anything to do with their decision.  They ignored these things.

It seems to me they made a fair and reasonable ruling that allows the president to protect America while still allowing individuals who have solid connections to America and Americans, such as familial, work, college,  the right to enter. All others can be kept out for 90 days as per the Executive Order.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #3857 on: June 26, 2017, 12:06:14 pm »

Trump has been president for almost 6 months.  Shouldn't the vetting review already be done?

Or has the Trump administration done nothing?

The courts blocking the executive orders did not, in any way, affect the government's plan to review the vetting process.....if they ever had a plan that is.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #3858 on: June 26, 2017, 12:08:11 pm »

Thousands of people have been losing their medical coverage as insurance companies have been pulling out of Obamacare because they are losing money.

While it's estimated that 13 million people would lose insurance under the GOP plan. I don't believe America will ever have the level of affordable and accessible healthcare enjoyed by Australia, Japan, and most other advanced countries.
- Dean

Schewe

« Reply #3859 on: June 26, 2017, 02:23:01 pm »

People in the USA eat poorly and don't exercise nearly as much.

So, as a recent GOP representative said:

Republican Blurts Out That Sick People Don’t Deserve Affordable Care

Mo Brooks, mo’ problems. Photo: Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg via Getty Images

Republicans usually defend their health-care position with an array of buzzwords like choice, patient-centric, or competition. In a CNN interview, Representative Mo Brooks, an Alabama Republican, makes the case for Trumpcare in much starker terms: It will free healthy people from having to pay the cost of the sick. “It will allow insurance companies to require people who have higher health care costs to contribute more to the insurance pool that helps offset all these costs, thereby reducing the cost to those people who lead good lives, they’re healthy, they’ve done the things to keep their bodies healthy,” explained Brooks. “And right now, those are the people who have done things the right way that are seeing their costs skyrocketing.”

So, next I guess we will stockpile old people in mass dormitories because they lived too long? As it stands, 2/3 of nursing home patients get Medicaid support so let's find a cheap way of housing them so young people don't have to pay.

And all those babies (49%) whose births are subsidized by Medicaid, let's just quit allowing all those poor people to have babies because it's costing the rest of us too much money?

And how about the the kids with disabilities? According to the Kaiser Family Foundation more than 10 million children and adults who qualify for Medicaid based on disability include individuals with physical impairments and conditions such as cerebral palsy, epilepsy, HIV/AIDS, and multiple sclerosis; spinal cord and traumatic brain injuries; severe mental health conditions, such as depression and schizophrenia; intellectual and developmental disabilities, including Down Syndrome and autism; and other functional limitations. So, sick or disabled through no fault of their own, do these kids not deserve care?

So, yeah, America doesn't eat healthy and doesn't exercise enough...so let's just let the sick and fat people die?

Do you realize how heartless that sounds? We don't eat right and exercise so what, we don't deserve healthcare?
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 331   Go Up