Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 915316 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Trump II
« Reply #2780 on: May 20, 2017, 08:10:58 am »

The IQ of your representatives should be higher than average, wouldn't you agree? Whatever the biases of your politicians in government, if they don't have the nous to understand that an intelligent compromise on policies is required, in order to make America great again, then you're stuffed.  ;)

It's not about intelligence, it's mostly about influence and money to win the next election.

If it were about doing the right things for the people whom they are supposed to represent, then things like healthcare, education, environment, etc. would be in better shape than they are now.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 08:14:33 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Ray

« Reply #2781 on: May 20, 2017, 09:23:22 am »

It's not about intelligence, it's mostly about influence and money to win the next election.

If it were about doing the right things for the people whom they are supposed to represent, then things like healthcare, education, environment, etc. would be in better shape than they are now.

Cheers,
Bart

Everything is about intelligence, Bart. We're smarter than the apes because we're more intelligent. Smart economics beats stupid economics. Smart control of the economy beats stupid control. But everything has a cost and decisions have to be made about priorities. The USA has spent a huge amount on its armed forces and conflicts in the Middle East and Far East, and on various bases around the world.

If they hadn't joined the second world war against Germany and Japan, I don't know what sort of society we'd be in today. Not favourable to freedom, I suspect.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2782 on: May 20, 2017, 09:35:50 am »

As an outsider, and a person who has never visited the US, I'm rather amazed at all the confusion that's going on.

In a free democracy with transparent voting procedures, it would be expected that the people get the president they deserve.
If the majority is too stupid to work out which is the best candidate, then they must suffer the consequences.
If the system is designed in such a way that the total majority of individual votes in all states combined, does not determine the results, then presumably that's for a reason, in order not to marginalize the less populated states.

The US has chosen, within the parameters of its voting system, to elect an apparently incompetent president. This is not Donald Trumps's fault. My understanding is that he was initially very surprised that his tactics during the election campaign appeared to be very successful. It's understandable that he continued with such tactics and eventually became President.

The fact that he became President could be considered as a criticism of the intelligence of the American people plus their obvious disenchantment with previous governments. There was no other candidate who could 'trump' Trump. Don't blame Trump for that.

All this concern about Russia's involvement in the election outcome, is a total distraction and a waste of money.
America's problems are it's huge debt, it's continuing military expenditure, and its lousy health care system for the poor and vulnerable. Fix it if you can. If you can't, then suffer the consequences.

You are right that we are diverted from our problems of debt, high health care costs, increasing deficits, North Korea and other miscreants, etc.  Unfortunately the establishment is more concerned with power and politics.  The elite establishment on both sides as well as business and the media saw Trump as a threat and tried to stop him from being president and now are trying to destroy him since he was elected.   The Washington Post and the NY Times, always liberal and Democrat, have made it their mission to attack him every day.  Yes, Trump often gives them ammunition.  But if he was Obama, it would be overlooked or downplayed.

Frankly, if you look at his policies since he became President, they are rather traditional even if you you're looking from the other side.  Certainly they're not radical nor even much different then what we have.  Obamacare isn't going away.  He supports most of it just in another form.  He's strengthened our military and international policies, something ready to be done after Obama.  WE need tax reform; the stock markets have shown their appreciation of his plans by going up about ten percent.  He put a first rate justice on the Supreme Court.  He is learning his job and I suspect he'll turn out to be a rather competent steward of the office when all is said and done.  Frankly, I don't know how he puts up with all the attack for almost two years.  To have beat everyone singlehandedly  including many from his own party, and now have to defend yourself against the barrage of attacks from the press and others is not easy.  Sure it's easy to be "presidential" like Obama did when you have the support of the media.  But everyone is out to get you, everything you do is attacked.  Well, they say presidential politics isn't tiddlywinks. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2783 on: May 20, 2017, 11:24:37 am »

Ahhmmmm.....

About that cover....

The message is...? That Trump has changed his religion to... Christian Orthodox?

You know, that's the St. Basil's Cathedral, an Orthodox church. Kremlin is on the other side of the street in Moscow... just saying.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 02:05:05 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2784 on: May 20, 2017, 12:14:08 pm »

Ahhmmmm.....

About that cover

Talk to Mad Magzine...that's who Time ripped off :-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #2785 on: May 20, 2017, 03:44:39 pm »

"Study Finds Journalists Dumber Than Average and Drink Too Much"

http://www.taraswart.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Results-of-study-into-journalists-mental-resilience.pdf

“the highest functions of journalists brains were operating at a lower level than the average population, due to dehydration, self-medicating, and fueling their brains with caffeine and high-sugar foods”

Journalism is one of many industries under an increasing amount of pressure in the digital age. Low pay, frequent deadlines, and high levels of accountability all contribute to high reported stress levels.”

There you go  :)

Come to think of it, one way to reduce stress is to lower the "high levels of accountability"... seems to be working. Just publish any innuendo, rumor, wishful thinking, etc., and watch your stress go down ;)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2786 on: May 20, 2017, 03:56:08 pm »

Finally some good news about Trump from the Washington Post.  He seems to gotten off to a good start on his first foreign trip.  Now if he can only watch his choice of words so he doesn't start a war with Saudi Arabia, Israel or with the Vatican.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-gets-elaborate-welcome-in-saudi-arabia-embarking-on-first-foreign-trip/2017/05/20/679f2766-3d1d-11e7-a058-ddbb23c75d82_story.html

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2787 on: May 20, 2017, 04:03:29 pm »

So now CNN's Anderson Cooper is making crude comments about Trump.  You'd think he'd be careful after all those biased eye rolls.  The attacks and hatred never end by the liberal media.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/05/20/anderson-cooper-apologizes-for-conjuring-image-of-trump-defecating-on-his-desk/

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #2788 on: May 20, 2017, 05:10:11 pm »

Jeff likes posting pictures of Trump, so I'll play:  ;)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2789 on: May 20, 2017, 08:38:18 pm »

So  while we argue about so-called collusion with the Russians, the Chinese executed or jailed upwards of twenty of our CIA agents between 2010-2012. 
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/20/world/asia/china-cia-spies-espionage.html

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2790 on: May 20, 2017, 09:17:46 pm »

They were not really agents, but sources, a big difference.  We would have done the same; remember the Rosenbergs? 

If they had executed US citizens that were CIA agents, I am sure we would not know about it nor would we ever admit to it. 
I guess I wasn't clear with my point.  The issue is that we're getting distracted with supposed collusion with the Russians while America trade and military secrets are being stole blind by the Chinese and they're killing our CIA sources to boot.  WE better start focusing  on real world issues or we're going to wind up a day late and a dollar too short. 

Schewe

« Reply #2791 on: May 20, 2017, 11:59:54 pm »

"Study Finds Journalists Dumber Than Average and Drink Too Much"

http://www.taraswart.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Results-of-study-into-journalists-mental-resilience.pdf

There you go  :)

Hum, must be why Foreign Policy magazine (rated least biased by mediabiasfactcheck.com) published this...

Trump Won Because Voters Are Ignorant, Literally

By  JASON BRENNAN NOVEMBER 10, 2016

Democracy is supposed to enact the will of the people. But what if the people have no clue what they’re doing?

OK, so that just happened. Donald Trump always enjoyed massive support from uneducated, low-information white people. As Bloomberg Politics reported back in August, Hillary Clinton was enjoying a giant 25 percentage-point lead among college-educated voters going into the election. (Whether that trend held up remains to be seen.) In contrast, in the 2012 election, college-educated voters just barely favored Barack Obama over Mitt Romney. Last night we saw something historic: the dance of the dunces. Never have educated voters so uniformly rejected a candidate. But never before have the lesser-educated so uniformly supported a candidate. Trump supporters might retort: “That’s because Trump supports the little guy and Clinton helps the already privileged college grads.” But that’s false: Trump supporters in the primaries had an average income of about $72,000 per year. They aren’t rich, but make more than the national average and more than Clinton supporters.

Trump owes his victory to the uninformed. But it’s not just Trump. Political scientists have been studying what voters know and how they think for well over 65 years. The results are frightening. Voters generally know who the president is but not much else. They don’t know which party controls Congress, what Congress has done recently, whether the economy is getting better or worse (or by how much). In the 2000 U.S. presidential election, most voters knew Al Gore was more liberal than George W. Bush, but significantly less than half knew that Gore was more supportive of abortion rights, more supportive of welfare-state programs, favored a higher degree of aid to blacks, or was more supportive of environmental regulation.

Just why voters know so little is well-understood. It’s not that people are stupid. Rather, it’s that democracy creates bad incentives.

Consider: If you go to buy a car, you do your research. After all, if you make a smart choice, you reap the rewards; if you make a bad choice, you suffer the consequences. Over time, most people learn to become better consumers.

Not so with politics. How all of us vote, collectively, matters a great deal. But how any one of us votes does not. Imagine a college professor told her class of 210 million students, “Three months from now, we’ll have a final exam. You won’t get your own personal grade. Instead, I’ll average all of your grades together, and everyone will receive the same grade.” No one would bother to study, and the average grade would be an F.

That, in a nutshell, is how democracy works.

Most voters are ignorant ormisinformed because the costs to them of acquiring political information greatly exceed the potential benefits. They can afford to indulge silly, false, delusional beliefs — precisely because such beliefs cost them nothing. After all, the chances that any individual vote will decide the election is vanishingly small. As a result, individual voters tend to vote expressively, to show their commitment to their worldview and team. Voting is more like doing the wave at a sports game than it is like choosing policy.

--snip--

Trump’s victory is the victory of the uninformed. But, to be fair, Clinton’s victory would also have been. Democracy is the rule of the people, but the people are in many ways unfit to rule.

So, there ya go...

Course, that was written by a likely stressed out, alcoholic associate professor of strategy, economics, ethics, and public policy at Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business :~)

Edited to fix typo
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 12:33:01 am by Schewe »

Schewe

« Reply #2792 on: May 21, 2017, 12:30:45 am »

Jeff likes posting pictures of Trump, so I'll play:  ;)

Oh gooding, my turn?

Looks like Trump upped his game, it looks like he bowed and added a bit of a curtsey.

My, that's a very pretty neckless! This must be the most beautiful neckless ever...

Hum, I think it looks just like the one they gave Obama...

I bet that will tick off the big orange one :~(

Schewe

« Reply #2793 on: May 21, 2017, 12:46:26 am »

So now CNN's Anderson Cooper is making crude comments about Trump.

Actually, the comment was about Jeffrey Lord...

During an interview on his show Friday night, CNN host Anderson Cooper interrupted a conservative pundit with a not-so-subtle jab that he later regretted.

Cooper told Jeffrey Lord, a supporter of the president, that if Trump “took a dump on his desk,” he would still defend him. The host apologized on Twitter after his show, saying he regrets the “crude sentence,” which he followed up with an apology on air.

“It was unprofessional,” Cooper said. “I am genuinely sorry.”

Pretty sure Cooper was correct...Jeffrey Lord would still defend him (Trump).

BTW, does anybody else think that the way Trump sites on chairs looks like he's sitting on a toilet? Hey, Alan brought up the bathroom humor...

Littlefield

« Reply #2794 on: May 21, 2017, 05:39:20 am »

Guess old king was supposed to jump up like LeBron to put medal around Trump's neck. :D
Don

Littlefield

« Reply #2795 on: May 21, 2017, 05:57:00 am »

Mandel Ngan is taking interesting photos of the Trump big trip with some nice compositions. I am an amateur looking at them on CNN website with retina mini iPad but seems those are some really dark blacks. Guess it is a norm for these type of photos ?
Don

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2017/05/politics/trump-foreign-trip-cnnphotos/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:05:59 am by Littlefield »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2796 on: May 21, 2017, 08:26:41 am »

Hum, must be why Foreign Policy magazine (rated least biased by mediabiasfactcheck.com) published this...

Trump Won Because Voters Are Ignorant, Literally

So, there ya go...

Course, that was written by a likely stressed out, alcoholic associate professor of strategy, economics, ethics, and public policy at Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business :~)

Edited to fix typo
60 million Trump voting Americans are Ignorant, Literally.  Have you considered that Hillary and her campaign were terrible?  Because of her stupidity, she lost when she should have won 55%-45% of the popular vote and more than that in the Electoral College.  And please don't tell us about Russia.  She was the one who unethically conspired with the DNC chair to marginalize Sanders and who set up the unauthorized if not illegal email server.  And all those smart people who voted for this corrupt individual anyway.  You had a chance to nominate Sanders but choose her instead.  So who's ignorant?

Schewe

« Reply #2797 on: May 21, 2017, 10:38:37 am »

So who's ignorant?

So I guess you didn't read the whole article huh? Spoiler alert...it's the American voter.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #2798 on: May 21, 2017, 11:30:38 am »

... Looks like Trump upped his game, it looks like he bowed...

Only to protect his hair from being messed up by the shorter king ;)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2799 on: May 21, 2017, 11:37:52 am »

So I guess you didn't read the whole article huh? Spoiler alert...it's the American voter.
The article is wrong.  It wasn't all American voters.  Trump voters got it right.  So did Sander's voters.  Both groups, totaling a majority of voters,  wanted someone to shake up politics as usual.  With Hillary, you would have gotten more of the same old elite, corrupt establishment. 

Plus, we can look at Melania for four years instead of Hillary.  Now, isn't that worth it? :)
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 331   Go Up