Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 916634 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Trump II
« Reply #880 on: February 25, 2017, 11:54:43 am »

Further proof that immigrants are taking American jobs! ;)

My east European house cleaner doesn't look like either of them!  Czech.  Hmm.    Slovenia.  Hmm. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #881 on: February 25, 2017, 11:54:47 am »

Another interesting personal story.

Robert, a kind and friendly request to state what the point of a link you refer to is, or what it is about, including a key quote from the article perhaps?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #882 on: February 25, 2017, 11:56:54 am »

Further proof that immigrants are taking American jobs! ;)

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #883 on: February 25, 2017, 12:49:01 pm »

The liberal press isn't use to politicians taking them on.  His supporters appreciate that finally someone they support is willing to do so.  That's why he won the election.  After Obama's weakness, we need a Commander-in Chief who defends America and is willing to kick ass.  Foreigners may not like it, but they don't vote.
I think it's more Trump not being used to being taken on. As a CEO he can easily shut up and fire any of the people who don't agree with him and that's much more difficult as US president. I don't find him kicking ass, he's more behaving like a kindergarten boy kicking around in a tantrum, while his ass is being kicked left, right and center (including by his own cabinet members). He didn't win the election because the majority of the US population supports his views, he won because the other candidate was perceived as being even worse.
pieter, aka pegelli

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #884 on: February 25, 2017, 12:50:40 pm »

I can, but then you'd dismiss it because they'd be, in your opinion, "fake news" or right-wing propaganda.

So I can only conclude that there is no news to support your claim.
Thanks, it saved me from searching in vain,  so I can start reading my newly arrived book by Princeton Prof. Jan Werner Müller, "What is Populism?". EDIT: link to the book on one outlet, I got my copy locally.

Müller has written many articles about the phenomenon, with recent examples in Europe and also in the Americas, culminating in that latest essay.

Here is a link to an article by Professor Müller about Trump:
"It is actually in Trump’s interest to see clashes on America’s streets; it is in his interest to face stiff opposition, as long as he can successfully portray the latter as “un-American” to his supporters. For Trump, “the people” is only a homogeneous Trump people. Divisiveness will continue, since populists rule by dividing. American democracy faces a true threat."

All the more reason to defend democracy.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 06:18:30 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #885 on: February 25, 2017, 01:09:32 pm »

"The president has declared war on the First Amendment"
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/24/white-house-radical-attack-first-amendment-cnn-new-york-times

Thank goodness he thinks that the USA doesn't have enough Nuclear weapons to use them against his own country.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-nuclear-idUSKBN1632L4

Cheers,
Bart

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #886 on: February 25, 2017, 01:52:03 pm »

So I can only conclude that there is no news to support your claim.
Thanks, it saved me from searching in vain,  so I can start reading my newly arrived book by Princeton Prof. Jan Werner Müller, "Populism".

Müller has written many articles about the phenomenon, with recent examples in Europe and also in the Americas, culminating in that latest essay.

Here is a link to an article by him about Trump:
"It is actually in Trump’s interest to see clashes on America’s streets; it is in his interest to face stiff opposition, as long as he can successfully portray the latter as “un-American” to his supporters. For Trump, “the people” is only a homogeneous Trump people. Divisiveness will continue, since populists rule by dividing. American democracy faces a true threat."

All the more reason to defend democracy.

Cheers,
Bart
Thanks for the link and the book notation.  I've just started reading "Age of Anger: A History of the Present," by Pankaj Mishra.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #887 on: February 25, 2017, 02:21:00 pm »

So I can only conclude that there is no news to support your claim...

Yes, I am known for inventing things.

THE NEW YORK TIMES article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/23/us/politics/23fox.html

...In a sign of discomfort with the White House stance, Fox’s television news competitors refused to go along with a Treasury Department effort on Thursday to exclude Fox from a round of interviews with the executive-pay czar Kenneth R. Feinberg that was to be conducted with a “pool” camera crew shared by all the networks...The first real shot from the White House, however, came when aides excluded “Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace” — which they had previously treated as distinct from the network — from a round of presidential interviews with Sunday morning news programs in mid-September...

Judicial Watch article:

http://www.judicialwatch.org/press-room/press-releases/documents-show-obama-white-house-attacked-excluded-fox-news-channel/

...Deputy White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest bluntly described the White House’s position on Fox News Channel in an October 23, 2009, email to LeCompte:
We’ve demonstrated our willingness and ability to exclude Fox News from significant interviews…”

CBS Evening News:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/president-obamas-feud-with-fox-news/

...So why is the White House out to "de-legitimize" FOX? Not because it has opinions, but because its opinion voices are so hostile to Mr. Obama - and because FOX News is, as it has been for a decade, by far the most watched of the cable news networks...

And, for a good measure, something from BREITBART:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2017/02/24/fake-news-media-outrage-white-house-exclusion/

...New York Times itself reported in 2015, President Barack Obama met privately with liberal reporters and columnists frequently throughout his tenure in office — “more than a dozen” times. And although he occasionally invited conservative columnists, “Liberal-leaning columnists from newspapers tend to dominate at Mr. Obama’s secret sessions.”

Obama’s private briefings for liberal members of the media, which excluded conservatives, were well-documented. A few:

December 2012: Several journalists reported that MSNBC hosts were meeting privately with President Obama to discuss the impending “fiscal cliff” fight.

May 2013: NPR’s Ari Shapiro reported that President Obama was meeting privately with “lefty columnists,” but hastened to add that there was “nothing nefarious” about it.

November 2013: President Obama met again with liberal journalists, as Obamacare struggled with the failure of healthcare.gov and other problems.

March 2015: Politico’s media reporter, Hadas Gold, reported that “a group of journalists and columnists,” all on the left, met privately with President Obama, but the White House refused to say “who else was at the meeting or what was discussed.”...

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #888 on: February 25, 2017, 02:48:41 pm »

...So why is the White House out to "de-legitimize" FOX?

"Rupert Murdoch’s legacy will forever be tarnished by the phone-hacking scandal that has engulfed British journalism for a decade".

http://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-british-scandal-murdoch-20150611-story.html

Rupert has done a great job at "de-legitimizing" FOX himself.

Cheers,

Tom Brown

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #889 on: February 25, 2017, 03:48:25 pm »

... "Rupert Murdoch’s legacy will forever be tarnished by the phone-hacking scandal that has engulfed British journalism for a decade"...

You mean we should somehow care what a British tabloid did?

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #890 on: February 25, 2017, 04:05:41 pm »

You mean we should somehow care what a British tabloid did?

Yep, FOX, is FOX, is FOX.

Take your blinkers off. FOX represents right wing tabloid journalism.

Murdoch is an embarrassment to Australia, luckily he is now a US citizen.

Good luck,

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:28:55 pm by tom b »
Tom Brown

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #891 on: February 25, 2017, 04:44:53 pm »

... 2011 saw the most deportations in US history, nearly 400,000. During that year 55% of these deportations were of convicted criminals. Of those, almost 95% were non-violent (drug or traffic related)...

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obamas-deportation-policy-numbers/story?id=41715661

Let's see:

"91% of deported in 2015 previously convicted of a crime"

What kind of crime:

...The administration made the first priority "threats to national security, border security, and public safety." That includes gang members, convicted felons or charged with "aggravated felony" and anyone apprehended at the border trying to enter the country illegally.

In 2015, 81 percent, or 113,385, of the removals were the priority one removals.

What is then "second priority"?

"aliens convicted of three or more misdemeanor offenses, other than minor traffic" violations, as well as those convicted of domestic violence, sexual abuse, burglary, DUIs or drug trafficking.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #892 on: February 25, 2017, 05:46:13 pm »

THIS for all of you who take Fox News seriously!  To quote our President, "Fake News! SAD!"   and I don't even use Twitter! ;D

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #893 on: February 25, 2017, 10:07:16 pm »

I think it's more Trump not being used to being taken on. As a CEO he can easily shut up and fire any of the people who don't agree with him and that's much more difficult as US president. I don't find him kicking ass, he's more behaving like a kindergarten boy kicking around in a tantrum, while his ass is being kicked left, right and center (including by his own cabinet members). He didn't win the election because the majority of the US population supports his views, he won because the other candidate was perceived as being even worse.

After Obama's fecklessness, weakness, and disrespect for his own country's place in history, Trump campaigned on making America great again, respected in the world,  with a richer economy, stronger military, and more jobs especially in the swing states that have particularly suffered.  Hillary represented more of Obama as well as the corrupt political elite.  So in that sense you're right that she was the worse candidate.  But we really have to get on with it.  The election is over.  And as VP Pence recently said that when you're a passenger in a plane you don't root against the pilot. 

Peter McLennan

« Reply #894 on: February 25, 2017, 11:50:03 pm »

when you're a passenger in a plane you don't root against the pilot.

Why would anyone board a plane commanded by a pilot who's never even taken flying lessons?

Farmer

« Reply #895 on: February 26, 2017, 01:58:31 am »

Why would anyone board a plane commanded by a pilot who's never even taken flying lessons?

Gold.
Phil Brown

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #896 on: February 26, 2017, 02:16:25 am »

After Obama's fecklessness, weakness, and disrespect for his own country's place in history, Trump campaigned on making America great again, respected in the world,  with a richer economy, stronger military, and more jobs especially in the swing states that have particularly suffered.  Hillary represented more of Obama as well as the corrupt political elite.  So in that sense you're right that she was the worse candidate.  But we really have to get on with it.  The election is over.  And as VP Pence recently said that when you're a passenger in a plane you don't root against the pilot.
Alan, I'm not on the plane so have no problems to root against the pilot, but I do feel very sorry for about half of the passengers who boarded it against their will. ;)
Also I don't share your opinion on Obama and I think Trump is failing to gain respect in the world. His immigration ban is still in limbo, he's given in to China vs. Taiwan and his cabinet members constantly have to mop up the mess he created. That's no way to get respect as a leader. But hey, I realize I won't convince you but equally you don't convince me with your support for Trump. We'll see how it goes and I hope one day he will surprise me by starting to behave like a true leader rather then as a divisive/populist campaign beast, but I'm not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 02:21:51 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #897 on: February 26, 2017, 04:22:30 am »

Further proof that immigrants are taking American jobs!

Not only that! That high-quality job has been just changed to a part-time position.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #898 on: February 26, 2017, 08:29:36 am »

Yes, I am known for inventing things.

THE NEW YORK TIMES article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/23/us/politics/23fox.html

Judicial Watch article:

http://www.judicialwatch.org/press-room/press-releases/documents-show-obama-white-house-attacked-excluded-fox-news-channel/

CBS Evening News:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/president-obamas-feud-with-fox-news/

Thanks for supplying the links, I knew you could do it. It also answered my question of why it was difficult to find, all three articles seem to refer to a single incident.

I find it difficult to see how you'd want to compare that incident with what's going on right now though.

What happened before was that under a barrage of defamatory and made up propaganda, the White House decided that they were not dealing with a news agency, but more of a propaganda machine against the government. Like the network’s heavy coverage of some of the more intensely anti-administration activity at town-hall-style meetings on health care and Mr. Beck’s remark that Mr. Obama “has a deep-seated hatred for white people.”

To make it clear once more, FoxNews is not a news agency. It's more akin to Talkradio. So when it came to a series of presidential interviews, it was decided by WH aids to exclude “Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace” — which they had previously treated as distinct from the network. “We simply decided to stop abiding by the fiction, which is aided and abetted by the mainstream press, that Fox is a traditional news organization,”

I'm not sure if that was a wise choice, but I can imagine that one would prefer serious journalists for such interview sessions, instead of talk-show hosts.

However, it seems to escape some folks what the difference is with what is happening now; the exclusion of serious news networks. It seems like perception bias is getting in the way of seeing things for what they're worth; Censorship, and a deliberate attack on the First Amendment.

I do not have too much of a problem with some of the news agencies that exhibit some bias in their reporting (by accentuating certain events, and keeping a low profile on covering others). That's how the (American) commercialized system works. One can only hope, maybe against better judgment in an entrenched and growing community divide, that people make an effort to inform themselves by following different information sources.

But I do have a problem with penalizing networks for exposing falsehoods, especially when coming from the President and his aides/advisors. All serious networks are exposing them, but some get selectively cut off from asking for firsthand clarification, and pose questions that others may not want to (to keep sponsors happy). All the more troubling because what does come out later officially is riddled with falsehoods, which proves that there is A NEED for a free press.

Cheers,
Bart

jeremyrh

« Reply #899 on: February 26, 2017, 08:41:22 am »

I only watched the trailer which makes the point that Fox changed many people's liberal viewpoints and see the other side.  That's true.  But what's bad about that? 

In itself, nothing, but if those minds are being changed because they now believe something that is a pack of lies, then the consequences are serious. As you will shortly find out.

https://theintercept.com/2017/02/25/fox-news-interview-fake-expert-sweden-baffles-swedes/
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 331   Go Up