Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 917273 times)

James Clark

Re: Trump II
« Reply #1940 on: March 30, 2017, 12:26:51 pm »

You mean highly educated (like most participants on this thread); well-travelled (33 countries, 39 U.S. states, living, working or visiting); lived, worked, and educated in Eastern Europe, Western Europe and the U.S.; work experience in the U.S. government, 4 Fortune 200 U.S. corporations, private startups; speaking three languages fluently, and two elementary; teaching at European and American colleges; etc.?

If that is a stereotypical American, then guilty as charged ;)

To be accurate, I don't see a lot of Trump-defending coming from you, though I admit to being somewhat perplexed by some of the conclusions you draw about what America ought to be.   That said, if the typical American had your breadth of experience, the national debate would be far more fascinating. 

rodney.dugmore

• Rods Photoscapes
« Reply #1941 on: March 30, 2017, 03:33:07 pm »

Welcome to Lula, Rodney.

One can only wish that you didn't start your forum activity with insults.

Assuming you included me in the "few," I am curious what is the stereotype and how do I fit it?

Thank you for the welcome Slobodan.

I wish that in the affairs of the world I would not feel concerned enough to comment.

In regards to the stereotype I have to admit that your qualifications experience and wealth are most likely atypical of the majority of your fellow Americans. 

And your civil manner in debate is a credit to you also atypical.

However the stereotype I was referring to was more along the lines of Bumptious egotistical blowhard.

The Inability  to see the truth and acknowledge mistakes is not a virtue, If the world is a safer and better place because of trump in the coming years I will be the first to admit I was wrong.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1942 on: March 30, 2017, 04:44:40 pm »

Thank you for the welcome Slobodan.

I wish that in the affairs of the world I would not feel concerned enough to comment.

In regards to the stereotype I have to admit that your qualifications experience and wealth are most likely atypical of the majority of your fellow Americans. 

And your civil manner in debate is a credit to you also atypical.

However the stereotype I was referring to was more along the lines of Bumptious egotistical blowhard.

The Inability  to see the truth and acknowledge mistakes is not a virtue, If the world is a safer and better place because of trump in the coming years I will be the first to admit I was wrong.

Let me welcome you too, Rodney.  However, I think they got a rule here that you have to post ten times in some photo section before posting in the Coffee Table section.  Then you're promoted to a Bumptious egotistical blowhard and can post here like the rest of us. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1943 on: March 30, 2017, 04:52:00 pm »

Ok, ok, back to some levity ;)

"This Candy Company Is Selling ‘Trump Sucks’ Lollipops To Support Planned Parenthood"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-sucks-lollipops-planned-parenthood-global-gag-rule_us_58dd073fe4b05eae031d7a3e?

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1944 on: March 30, 2017, 05:02:05 pm »

Ok, ok, back to some levity ;)

"This Candy Company Is Selling ‘Trump Sucks’ Lollipops To Support Planned Parenthood"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-sucks-lollipops-planned-parenthood-global-gag-rule_us_58dd073fe4b05eae031d7a3e?

At 5 GBP a lollipop, I really hope they don't suck! 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1945 on: March 31, 2017, 12:25:51 am »

The new news about Flynn asking for immunity got me thinking. Flynn illegally acted  as a foreign agent for Turkey because he didn't file papers as such as required by law. He tried to file after the fact a couple of weeks ago to try to cover his tracks. Also, if he was acting as a foreign agent and failed to mention that in federal forms relating to his position in the administration, that too is a violation of the law he can go to jail for. So he's trying to offer testimony to get Congress to grant him immunity. His lawyers said he has great stuff to give in testimony. Well of course, they're going to say that. Would Congress offer immunity if the lawyers said he's got nothing really to talk about especially about collusion? This all is about his lawyers trying to get him out of trouble because of his own greed.   

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1946 on: March 31, 2017, 01:43:06 am »

Uh oh...Scottie, we have a problem!!!

Oklahoma Bar Association opens investigation of ex-AG Pruitt

"It appears that Mr. Pruitt misrepresented material facts that bore on the Senate committee's analysis of Mr. Pruitt's fitness to serve as EPA Administrator," the complaint states.

Emails and other documents released by the attorney general's office indicate Pruitt coordinated closely with fossil-fuel companies and special interest groups who worked to undermine federal efforts to curb planet-warming carbon emissions.

It's that darn pesky email problem...

Thousands of emails detail EPA head’s close ties to fossil fuel industry

In his previous role as Oklahoma’s attorney general, the Environmental Protection Agency’s new administrator regularly huddled with fossil fuel firms and electric utilities about how to combat federal environmental regulations and spoke to conservative political groups about what they called government “overreach,” according to thousands of pages of emails made public Wednesday.

“The newly released emails reveal a close and friendly relationship between Scott Pruitt’s office and the fossil fuel industry, with frequent meetings, calls, dinners and other events,” said Nick Surgey, research director for the Center for Media and Democracy, which has sued to compel the release of the emails.

The emails highlight an often-chummy relationship between Pruitt’s office and Devon Energy, a major oil and gas exploration and production company based in Oklahoma City. The correspondence makes clear that top officials at the company met often with Pruitt or people who worked for him. Devon representatives also helped draft — and redraft — letters for Pruitt to sign and send to federal officials in an effort to stave off new regulations.

And if you actually go through the changes to Obama's EO's you find that there's a lot of hand waving with little chance for substantial increases in jobs or the reemergence of coal for wide spread power generation...

TRUMP'S PLAN TO GUT OBAMA'S CLIMATE POLICIES: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

President Donald Trump will issue his long-promised executive order rolling back federal government efforts to fight climate change Tuesday.

The wide-ranging order, which will be accompanied by other environmental directives, targets Obama-era policies across the government, including in the Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of Interior, and the Department of Defense. It directs the EPA to revisit the Clean Power Plan, which limits carbon pollution from power plants and was considered the center-piece of former President Barack Obama's climate policy. Additionally, Trump is asking the Justice Department to stop defending the plan in court.

The president will instruct agencies to rescind a moratorium on coal leasing on public lands; rewrite limits on methane emissions from the oil and gas industry; and ignore the EPA's current calculation on the costs of carbon pollution. There are also broad directives reversing an Obama initiative requiring that federal departments consider climate mitigation strategy and the national security risks of global warming.

One of Trump's more notable "Day One" promises is missing, however: The United States will remain in the landmark Paris climate accord for the time being—despite Trump's pledge to "cancel" it.

All of this for what? More coal jobs? Uh, no...

Mass Employment In Coal Mining Is Never Coming Back, No Matter Trump's Promises Or Regulations

It's an obvious truism that regulations which make a certain activity more expensive are going to reduce the amount of that activity. Supply curves do slope downwards, demand ones up, after all. Thus it is equally obvious that if we rescind those regulations creating that greater expense then, at the margin, there will be more of that activity again. And since activity is often linked to employment level we would think that Trump's rolling back some of the regulations which make coal mining more expensive will increase the employment of miners. And we would be right to think so. And yet the effect of that will be trivial because it's not in fact regulation which has been killing off mining as a source of mass employment. It's technological change and the change in regulation isn't going to affect that in the slightest.

Read that again, And yet the effect of that will be trivial because it's not in fact regulation which has been killing off mining as a source of mass employment. It's technological change and the change in regulation isn't going to affect that in the slightest.

Coal mining and coal jobs will not be coming back to any serious degree, but the changes may indeed by very, very bad for the long term...

In U.S., there are twice as many solar workers as coal miners

More than 31,000 new solar jobs were created in the U.S. in 2014 bringing the total to 173,807—a 21.8 percent increase in employment since November 2013, according to a report released Thursday by The Solar Foundation. This is the second consecutive year that solar jobs have increased by at least 20 percent.

The solar industry is still dwarfed by the 9.8 million workers that the American Petroleum Industry says are employed the oil and gas industry. However, the Solar Foundation is quick to point out the industry is starting to surpass some fossil fuel-related job categories.
Solar already employs more people than coal mining, which has 93,185 workers, and has added 50 percent more jobs in 2014 than the oil and gas pipeline construction industry (10,529) and the crude petroleum and natural gas extraction industry (8,688) did combined, according to the Solar Foundation.

One out of every 78 new jobs created in the U.S. over the past 12 months were created by the solar industry, representing nearly 1.3 percent of all jobs created in the country. Solar companies surveyed for the fifth annual census plan to add another 36,000 employees this year.

“That’s just insane,” Rive says. “The solar industry is literally contributing to the job growth of the U.S. economy—and it’s just so understated.”

Yeah, ya know, maybe Obama got something right in trying to spur advances in clean-energy technologies...and in point of fact, while the jobs numbers above in 2014 indicate American Petroleum Industry is still above in 2015 the clean-energy workforce surpassed oil related jobs for the 1st time.

Clean-Energy Jobs Surpass Oil Drilling for First Time in U.S.

The number of U.S. jobs in solar energy overtook those in oil and natural gas extraction for the first time last year, helping drive a global surge in employment in the clean-energy business as fossil-fuel companies faltered.

And...here's a scary thought...just as Trump is trying to Make America Great Again, China is making massive changes in clean energy industries. So, China is reducing their use of coal while Trump wants more coal use in the US...what does China know that Trump doesn't?

China installed the most new renewable capacity in the world in 2015 with 65 gigawatts. It employed 35 percent more people in its clean energy industry than in oil and gas.

China, Brazil and the U.S. were at the front of the pack for renewable energy jobs. Asia is home to 60 percent of the world’s renewable energy employees, up from just over 50 percent in 2013. Japan saw jobs in its solar PV industry gain by 28 percent in 2014.

So, is Trump right or does the rest of the world get it...fossil fuels (coal, petroleum, natural gas) are finite, non-renewable resources. At some point, we will run out of the stuff. Not to mention the negative impact on the climate (pretty sure we can all agree that air pollution is not a good thing), we need to find alternative energy sources...and China and Brazil are kicking our butts.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1947 on: March 31, 2017, 08:50:06 am »

Uh oh...Scottie, we have a problem!!!

Oklahoma Bar Association opens investigation of ex-AG Pruitt

It's that darn pesky email problem...

Thousands of emails detail EPA head’s close ties to fossil fuel industry

And due to his rejection of Scientific recommendations, Pruitt is possibly tied to other interests (Chemical industry) as well.

Pruitt defies scientists recommendation to ban harmful pesticide:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/03/epa-head-defies-scientists-recommendation-to-ban-harmful-pesticide/

"Scott Pruitt, head of the Environmental Protection Agency, announced late Wednesday that a widely used pesticide will remain available to farmers, despite agency scientists recommending last year that it be banned due to neurotoxicity risks to farm workers and children. Chlorpyrifos, already banned from most household products, affects memory, learning."

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1948 on: March 31, 2017, 09:06:53 am »

Chlorpyrifos, already banned from most household products, affects memory, learning.

That stuff must have been used in USA for some time now.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1949 on: March 31, 2017, 09:27:37 am »

That stuff must have been used in USA for some time now.

Either the empirical evidence is overwhelming, or it is purely self-serving conduct (or both), at the expense of the sheeple.

Cheers,
Bart

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #1950 on: March 31, 2017, 09:39:06 am »

Chlorpyrifos has important agriculture applications.  It's important to note that in the US, a pesticide can be banned for household use because the risks cannot be well managed and still used for agriculture where they can.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1951 on: March 31, 2017, 10:05:21 am »

Chlorpyrifos has important agriculture applications.  It's important to note that in the US, a pesticide can be banned for household use because the risks cannot be well managed and still used for agriculture where they can.

While it may be a common pesticide;

"We've banned pesticides before, and farmers have turned to safer alternatives. The notion that we should continue to use a pesticide linked to autism because it's needed to feed the world is an outrageous, ridiculous statement," said Scott Faber, senior vice president of government affairs at the Environmental Working Group, a nonprofit environmental research organization.
Faber said Dow Agrosciences itself makes safer alternatives, which Dow confirmed.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/30/health/epa-chlorpyrifos-decision/

Cheers,
Bart

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1952 on: March 31, 2017, 10:15:23 am »

A view from the Economist: Overview of Trump's first 70 days.
--
Robert

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1953 on: March 31, 2017, 10:31:37 am »

... a pesticide linked to autism..

Wait, I thought vaccines are linked to autism!?  ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1954 on: March 31, 2017, 10:40:17 am »

"Utah economic mobility to rival Denmark"

'Big government' does not appear to have been key to Utah’s income mobility...The state has not invested a lot in fighting poverty, nor on schools; Utah is dead last in per-pupil education spending. This should at least give pause to those who view educational programs as the natural path to economic mobility."

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-03-28/how-utah-keeps-the-american-dream-alive

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1955 on: March 31, 2017, 10:48:43 am »

Wait, I thought vaccines are linked to autism!?  ;)

Cute reaction, but not funny.

Chapter 33 – Lasting Behavioral Consequences of Organophosphate Pesticide Exposure During Development:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780123743671000331

Neurodevelopmental effects in children associated with exposure to organophosphate pesticides: A systematic review:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0161813X13001514

Of course, nothing interesting there for a science denier like Pruitt. Wait, isn't he the head of the Environmental Protection Agency? Right, so why not phase out this dangerous substance in favor of a safer alternative? Let me guess, lower profit for Dow?

Cheers,
Bart

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #1956 on: March 31, 2017, 10:59:36 am »

"Utah economic mobility to rival Denmark"

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-03-28/how-utah-keeps-the-american-dream-alive
Of course Utah is a very religious state with 60% of the citizens practicing Mormons.  There must be something special going on here as the 'religiosity' of states in Appalachian and southern states is also very high but Christian; however, these states are much worse off than Utah in a number of areas.  Interesting!

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1957 on: March 31, 2017, 11:12:11 am »

Of course Utah is a very religious state with 60% of the citizens practicing Mormons.  There must be something special going on here as the 'religiosity' of states in Appalachian and southern states is also very high but Christian; however, these states are much worse off than Utah in a number of areas.  Interesting!

When I taught Business Calc at LaSalle University, I would always show the students the per capita alcohol consumption in the USA going back to the 1930s and use that data to determine models to predict future consumption. 

We always had to ignore Utah when doing this since their numbers were about a fourth, or less, than the rest of the states. 

We then would look at revolutionary times when they consumed about 12 gallons of alcohol a year and figure out exactly how much you would need to drink to do that.  I was always amazed whenever we figured that out that anything ever got done back then.  (The current figure is about 2.6 gallons per year.) 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:15:21 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1958 on: March 31, 2017, 03:13:42 pm »

I bet it has to do with more intact families in Utah. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1959 on: March 31, 2017, 03:26:53 pm »

...Coal mining and coal jobs will not be coming back to any serious degree, but the changes may indeed by very, very bad for the long term...
  You missed the point about jobs.  Smaller numbers of workers for coal which create about a third of all energy produced is better than larger numbers workers in the clean fuel sector that produces a much smaller amount of total energy.

A rich economy isn't based on the number of people working.  Rather, it's how much each worker produces.  It's about productivity.  The more he produces, the richer he and the country is.  Otherwise you could argue that China should go back to picks and shovels and let millions of people dig ditches rather than as it is today when they use efficient construction equipment.  China today is rich because they have become very productive per unit of work.  The best fuel would be where only one person could produce the complete supply for the entire country. 
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 331   Go Up