Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting quotes from the outgoing Leica CEO on the Leica S  (Read 2848 times)

hasselbladfan

Interesting quotes from the outgoing Leica CEO on the Leica S
« on: February 05, 2017, 04:22:53 pm »

How do you see Leica moving after Leica M10 introduction?

Oliver Kaltner: I said yesterday that the Leica M is our backbone, and it is, in our portfolio. But we have to enrich our portfolio all the last three years with introduction of Leica Q, SL, and the forthcoming S actually. We can separate our business into three type of dimension. One dimension is professional segment, like Leica S and SL, sometimes also Leica M, the other segment is photo segment or consumer segment: Leica M, Q, TL, X, D-lux, V-lux, and C, and obviously Leica Sofort.

And the good thing about this company is we are not after market share. I don’t care about market share at all. I dont care about volume business at all. But I do care is that, what ever product that we launch today must have relevant point for 20-30 years, and most of the product that we already launch are still in the second hand market, you might see in auction in 20 years. So it is completely different perspective or developing and launching product.

All the product line that we have now are important, that’s why we have them. It is a bit inside information, but I am willing to share that. We have some years in the past, when Leica m business stands for 60% of total business of the company. This was very unhealthy. Leica M business should stands for about 35%.

Leica SL has still more potential, and camera system outstanding but we need better in term of customer service and financial services. Leica S will remain our flagship on our pro segment. I’m very sure that we will keep those product line.

If we’re making a business decision on a product line is never for three years, always for a decade at least.

hasselbladfan

Re: Interesting quotes from the outgoing Leica CEO on the Leica S
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 04:25:16 pm »

hasselbladfan

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 06:59:08 am »

Doesn't make a difference if he goes or if he stays.

Knowing German Companies, these messages have been approved till the highest level.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 08:00:30 am »

Of course it makes a difference, there'll be a new CEO with new ideas in post in August.

i think long term plans depend a lot on Baumann; at small tech companies the CEO is often more the ship's helmsman than the ship's captain
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 05:15:55 pm »

It seems like if they really what to attract pros they would improve the S2 and the support that goes with it.  I liked my S2 when I had it but the world/technology seems to have passed them by.  It's a nice idea to have products that are relevant for 20+ years but if it's obsolete who cares.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 05:18:24 pm »

i think long term plans depend a lot on Baumann;

I guess you mean Dr. Kaufmann.

Lady Baumann is the new General Manager Switzerland.

:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up