Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 Clog Triage Question For Those Who Have Been There  (Read 1679 times)

marks1300

Epson 4900 Clog Triage Question For Those Who Have Been There
« on: February 05, 2017, 01:56:19 pm »

I have had a 4900 for a few years now, lightly used it, no issues with clogs.  I haven't used it for a few months and I have been working on some clogs that have been unusually stubborn.  I got most all of the clogs free with the Windex technique, but I have a problem.  The VM and C cartridges show the low ink flashing indicator, and both of them are close to full.  Because of the low ink sensor readings, I cannot do any automatic head cleaning.

So I bought the service manual and did a few tests.  I first did the ink level sensor ILS check and it confirmed that both cartridges showed ink.  Which is good, as they are full.

I then did the ink eject and ink charge on the right side, thinking there might be a clog in the VM and C lines feeding the printhead. It was going along well until the end of the charge, and at the 98% complete point I got a "you don't have enough ink" message.  I ran a nozzle check test and now instead of one or two clogs in VM and C, they are totally blank.  NO evidence of any ink at all.  I looked at the tubes and they all show ink.

Does this mean the the VM and C ports are clogged in the printhead?  It would seem that if the cartridges are full, and the ILS says it reads cartridge ink, and the tubes are full, it must be clogged at the printhead.

Have I reached the end of the line here? Any further ideas before I put in a preorder for the new Epson 5000?

Thanks

Mark

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson 4900 Clog Triage Question For Those Who Have Been There
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 02:06:18 pm »

Firstly, using Windex in these printers is a very bad idea. Simple Green would be much safer. Secondly, it's hard to tell what the cause of the incrementally worsening problem is, but it's possible that there is an airlock rather than a nozzle clog. The only way I know to clear these droppages are to run alternative power cleans and printing (use the Marrutt USA purge patches for the TWO channels in the set you need to clean - i.e. both C and VM) until the channels come back; after three such iterations, let the printer rest turned off over night and repeat again as necessary. Thirdly, before scrapping the printer, if this fails after a few days of it, call a qualified technician and discuss the cost with some idea in your mind about how much you are prepared to invest in a salvage. Don't think because you bought a service manual (which may or many not be a valid edition) you can successfully tinker with these machines unless you yourself have the appropriate technical background. I've witnessed how all this works - in the hands of a qualified technician - and it's less clear-cut than one's imagination may lead one to believe. (And yes, I've seen the 7900 saga video.)
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Farmer

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 06:01:36 pm »

Also be aware that you didn't legally buy the service manual.  Someone stole it, and then charged you for a copy.

Running things like an ink eject and ink charge are not designed for the purpose you have used them.  Doing it without cleaning carts isn't not the intent.  Just because you can "see" ink in the lines doesn't mean there's any significant volume there (or more importantly, in the damper).
Phil Brown

marks1300

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 06:20:31 pm »

Secondly, it's hard to tell what the cause of the incrementally worsening problem is, but it's possible that there is an airlock rather than a nozzle clog. The only way I know to clear these droppages are to run alternative power cleans and printing (use the Marrutt USA purge patches for the TWO channels in the set you need to clean - i.e. both C and VM) until the channels come back; after three such iterations, let the printer rest turned off over night and repeat again as necessary.

Thanks for your suggestion of the purge patches.  I was able to print them, so VM and C ink is getting to and through the printhead.  But the strange thing is that if I perform a nozzle check print, the VM and C patches are completely blank.  And prints look as if no VM or C is really being applied, or is being applied at the wrong levels.

I cannot run any power cleans, because as I stated, the printer is reporting low ink for VM and C and will not allow any cleaning cycles.  But I can print these colors via the purge patches.  So I seem to be in a Catch 22 situation.

marks1300

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 06:31:05 pm »

Also be aware that you didn't legally buy the service manual.  Someone stole it, and then charged you for a copy.

Running things like an ink eject and ink charge are not designed for the purpose you have used them.  Doing it without cleaning carts isn't not the intent.  Just because you can "see" ink in the lines doesn't mean there's any significant volume there (or more importantly, in the damper).

I don't know anything about the service manual situation.  I was just trying to fix my problem.

I was just giving information about my situation when I reported being able to see ink in the lines.  As I was able to print the purge files quite nicely it would seem that ink is getting to and through the printhead.

Your comments are pretty harsh and condescending.  I am just seeking advice on how to clear my problem.

Feel free to ignore this thread.

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 07:25:38 pm »

My comments are factual.

You are trying to make a decision based on an illicit copy of a manual without all the associated training and experience required to make use of it - that's a potentially poor basis on which to make a decision and by highlighting that problem, it should help you.
Phil Brown

ericbowles

• Bowles Images
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 04:32:09 pm »

Mark

I have a 4900 and have been through the cleaning, clogging and repair cycle.

Assuming you have never had to repair your 4900, the most likely issue is a bad pump.  If there is an Epson service location reasonably close, you could take the printer for service.  Epson is on the third part number for the pump.  The pump is required to maintain a seal when the printer is not in use, and prevents ink from drying out on the head.  If it does not seal, you can't prevent clogs.  Replacing the pump is about a $500 repair - much cheaper than replacing the printer.

Windex is a bad idea, but one of the reasons is that you are more likely to dry out the ink on the printer head when it is off the station.  You have to be very careful with any solvent - even those intended for use with the printer.   Epson service uses Shipping and Cleaning fluid to store the printer before it goes to the consumer, support longer term storage or non-use, and as a solvent to dissolve clogs.  But if you have a bad pump, it won't be more than a temporary solution at best.  A liter of the Shipping and Cleaning Fluid is $25 if you can find it.  I bought mine from the service shop that fixed my 4900. 

You need to think about replacing the cartridges that are low or empty.  If you are really going to get rid of the printer, don't bother.  But you can't do anything but take it for service or get rid of it without ink.  Two carts are $170. 

My recommendation is take it for service.

Eric Bowles
Nature Photography
Workshops and Instruction

marks1300

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 08:17:51 pm »

Eric

Thanks for your helpful comments.

I am really conflicted on this.  Not sure I want to continue to throw money into it or not.

I called my local Epson service center and they suggested I replace the two cartridges. I didn't get the feeling they understood my issue.  I  emailed Epson and they said the same thing.  Nobody has explained how that makes any sense, considering what I have stated above.  The purge patches print, the nozzle check doesn't.  If the cartridge chips are bad, how does that affect one vs. the other.

It will cost me $170 to find out.  If it works, I still have a 6 year old printer that is prone to nozzle clogs, but I have been lucky until now, so maybe that would be OK for awhile.  If replacing the cartridges doesn't fix the problem, and I replace the pump, I am $700 or so in.  I am thinking it might simply be better to move to the new p5000 for the improved technology and get on with printing.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up